cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

llmikeybll
Adept I

Very high CPU core voltage!

I've been using the 2700x processor for about a year now.  All of a sudden it wouldn't boot into windows with an error message saying Over Voltage Error! So checking in BIOS the voltage was reading 1.624v. Never been this high before and surely too high for idle?

The CPU had some moderate overclocking so i reverted it back to factory defaults... No change to Core volt.

Tried to manually lower the voltage but it wouldn't change the voltage. Changing it from AUTO to MANUAL and trying a negative Offset both didn't work.

Re-seated all hardware on motherboard and even cleared the CMOS, updated BIOS to the latest version still to no avail. The only way to boot into Windows is to turn off monitoring of the Core Voltage in BIOS. PSU Issue possibly??

PC works fine, just cant see it lasting long sitting at 1.6v constantly!

RYZEN 7 2700x

ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

16GB DDR4 RAM

GEFORCE RTX 2060

0 Likes
12 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Re: Very high CPU core voltage!

Try manual voltage, NOT manual offset. PSU does not cause this error. There may be a problem with the motherboard.

0 Likes
llmikeybll
Adept I

I tried inputting a manual lower voltage but it doesn't change the core voltage at all

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Is there Ryzen Master in the system? Has this software been tried before? If it is tried, is clean Win setup tried?

0 Likes
llmikeybll
Adept I

Ryzen Master was reading a very high EDC voltage at idle (99-100%). I changed Windows Power Plan from 'High Performance' to 'Balanced' and that seems to of lowered it, although In the BIOS the Core Voltage still averages at 1.62v.

I'm not getting the error message anymore at boot after turning voltage monitoring back on so shall I just ignore it?

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

The BIOS should not show this high value. I have no idea how the BIOS can show this high value without you making changes. I'm sorry.

0 Likes
llmikeybll
Adept I

It's very strange, nothing seems to change the core voltage. Thought it might just be the BIOS but even CPU-Z has a high rating. Thanks for the advice though. 

Untitled.png

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

If the BIOS screen has the same voltage, a clean Win setup does not solve the problem. I also think that this problem is not caused by PSU. There may be a problem with the motherboard, but I don't know why. If there is an adaptive voltage option in BIOS, try to decrease the voltage manually with this. Because the processor can reach high temperatures with this vcore.

0 Likes
llmikeybll
Adept I

I've already tried changing the voltage manually. Regarding temperature and overheating, this is what i thought... But interestingly enough my CPU stays at a stable temperature (32 to 34°c)... Leads me to believe the Vcore isn't actually be running that high in reality?

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Could you check the CPU package temperature when using a program like HWmonitor (for CPU package temp.) with CPU-Z stress test?

0 Likes