cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

scar8998
Adept I

Vega56 Poor GPU utilzation in CryEngine games still (Kingdom come/Crysis 3 ect.).

Having had this graphics card for 4-5 months now I have been testing Crysis 3 every few driver revisions since I made this thread: Vega 56 Crysis 3 Low FPS/GPU usage on high object settings. I does not seem there have been much improvements over this time span and with the release of Kingdom Come Deliverance this is evident.

AMD cards still cannot hold their performance in scenes where Nvidia cards stay at flat 99%. Here is a recent video I made and you can see the utilization fluctuate as the main CPU threads are taxed. Kingdom Come: Deliverance|Ryzen 7 1700|Vega 56 - YouTube

Is the RTG team still working on driver improvements for these cards or is it miners only now?

0 Likes
1 Solution
shirox
Journeyman III

You need to enter "r_BatchType = 1" in the console to fix GPU usage on Vega.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
danco
Adept I

Download Radeon MOD and try setting UMD / Texture LOD on 0x3200 or 0x3300 and restart driver or pc.

0 Likes

What does this do exactly?

0 Likes

Texture LOD = Mipmap Level Detail , 0x3200 Standard, 0x3300 Disabled,0x3000 High Quality. I dit not testing on rx vega. RX 5xx series has mipmap function disabled. On RX 4xx series and olders, mipmap its works but only on Win 7. From win8 to win10 do not work ok on visual quality, only performance downgrade.

0 Likes

Well I have tried both values but it doesn't have any effect in this case. It just seems to be AMDs DX11 drivers being poorly threaded, which is especially evident in these Cry Engine titles.

0 Likes
offler
Adept II

Hi.

KCD has many performance-oriented issues of its own. On video you posted i noticed that first core of your CPU was being loaded 100%,

Did some tests with my Phenom II x6 and FuryX. Even when CPU is on minimum requirement for the game, after some tweaks it performs quite well.

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Guru3d] Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pe...

In your case try to run game in Windowed or borderless mode. Fullscreen appears to have some problems.

0 Likes

The 1.31 update seems to have properly spread out some of the CPU usage across more threads and performance is more constant now. However, it still seems there is a bottleneck with AMD cards in Cryengine. If you see the thread I linked about you can see Vega vs GTX970 and see how GPU utilizzation jumps around on the AMD card vs flat maxed on the nvidia.

0 Likes
shirox
Journeyman III

You need to enter "r_BatchType = 1" in the console to fix GPU usage on Vega.

0 Likes

Interesting, seems to be already enabled. Might have been in the latest update which is why performance improved with it.