cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

a2razor
Adept III

Vega FE LC (BSOD on Monitor Standby or Connection)

As the title says, essentially ever since installing my new Vega FE, I'm getting extremely frequent "Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver" (0x000000ea) BSOD's.  Have not been able to operate the machine more than a single day without a bluescreen.

Symptoms:

When connecting a freesync display to the videocard (such as my BenQ XL2730Z, Acer, or new CUK Bionic) by HDMI or DisplayPort, there is a high probability that the computer will bluescreen.  When the display enters standby and or wakes up from standby, or is power-cycled, there is also a very high chance of bluescreen.

-- BSOD error is consistent in type.

**If freesync is disabled or a monitor is connected without freesync, there is no bluescreen**

System:

Windows 10 1809 (fully updated)

ASROCK X399 Professional Gaming (bios 3.50)

Threadripper 1950X (at stock)

64GB DDR4 2666 ECC (have tested with only one DIMM installed)

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2, also tested Antec HCP 1300

-- Memory has been tested with memtest86, processor has been tested with Prime95, LinX, and IBT.

-- Tried motherboard bioses 2.0 through 3.50, including beta bioses.

-- Tried disabling MSI mode for videocard.

-- Tried "game mode" / shutting off half the cores, disabling Core Performance Boost, etc.

-- Tried disabling HBCC.

-- Tried multiple DP and HDMI cables.

-- Tried 18.8.2, 18.9.3, 18.12.1, 18.12.2, 18.12.3, 19.1.1, 19.1.2, 19.2.1, 19.2.2, and 2019 Q1 Pro-Drivers.  The result is the same on all of them, though the 2019 Pro-Drivers "seem" the most resistant to it. (takes longer)

-- Tried fresh installation of Windows 10 1809.

-- Tried both vbios switch positions.

-- Tried disabling ULPS and locking clocks (no effect).

-- Tried "minimal" hardware.  (eg, pulling everything other than the Vega FE and one disk)

-- System above is completely stable on my Fury-X and Geforce 980.

The videocard is completely stable when installed in my old Xeon E5 (including on monitor connection and standby).  There are no crashes on either machines when under load (gaming), or under low load (with the clocks bouncing between low power and high-power).  Crashes are only during monitor changes.

* Disabling display timeout and never turning off the monitor yields a stable system..  Though this is not an acceptable solution.

** There are no crashes under Linux when touching the monitors.

** There are no crashes if the AMD drivers are not installed under Windows.

Example:

bluescreenview.png

Anyone have any suggestions here?

0 Likes
0 Replies