Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sila0164
Adept I

Vega 64 not being registered by windows

Hi

I was playing Forza horizon 3, which for some reason was crashing constantly. To try and fix this I updated my graphics drivers.

During installation my computer hard-froze, so my only option was to reset. When I rebooted the PC the graphics drivers didnt start so I tried uninstalling it with DDU. After a reboot, the graphics card doesnt show up in device manager. The only sign something is there is an unknown device which I cant do anything with. When reinstalling amd drivers it installs, asks to restart, but doesnt do anything after the restart. The graphics card still outputs video, and the fans are spinning (though higher than usual. They would normally be off at idle.)

I tried reinstalling Audio drivers to no awail. I also updated the BIOS to no awail. Nothing seems to fix it.

Windows update seems broken, which kind of points me in the direction of a windows related problem. But I'd like to avoid resetting windows as I have many modded installs of games that would take many hours to replicate.

If anyone have ideas they're higly appreciated. I tried looking around but cant find anything that is specific enough to really help.

This is an old system that I've had for 2-3 years now. Specs:

Asus z370-e
I7-8700k
16gb G.skill (running 3200Mhz XMP)
Gigabyte Vega 64 gaming
Vive Wireless PCI card

0 Likes
1 Solution

Update 3:
I did the thing with windows update troubleshooter, let it install its own driver for the graphics card. Restarted.

Then I installed the recommended 21.4.1 driver. And then restarted. I've been using the optional up until now.

It is now working. Whether this was a windows thing or down to the optional driver is a  mystery.
But this was a headache and a half.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
sila0164
Adept I

Update:

Tried fixing the windows update problem. Had to force the windows update troubleshooter to run.

After this, updates showed up as normal. After one of them installed something happened that made the screen flash and a pop-up said hardware had changed. It is showing up in device manager now!

Seems something weird happened specifically related to the pci bus (it mentioned this specifically) which messed everything up. I'll update on whether the drivers install when the updates are done.

0 Likes

Update 2:

I'm back to square one after the restart.

0 Likes

Update 3:
I did the thing with windows update troubleshooter, let it install its own driver for the graphics card. Restarted.

Then I installed the recommended 21.4.1 driver. And then restarted. I've been using the optional up until now.

It is now working. Whether this was a windows thing or down to the optional driver is a  mystery.
But this was a headache and a half.

0 Likes

Do you use the driver supplied by Microsoft or from AMD directly? What was the optional software?

0 Likes

What I did:
1. Fix Windows update with the troubleshooter

2. Let Windows update install the driver that it had

3. Restart

4. Install the Recommended driver from AMD's driver site

5. Restart

Has been working fine since. The Optional I tried was 21.5, and the recommended is 21.4. I'm leaning more towards it being a windows related thing, rather than a driver installer error. I didnt try the above with the optional driver.

0 Likes

Your doing the same as I would do. I never install the optional driver as usually it doesn't fix anything for me when I read the release notes.

Must say I always install device drivers myself and never let Windows 10 do the job (I have driver updates switched off).

0 Likes

I only did it because Windows didnt recognize my gfx-card without, so I really had no other choice

The whole reason for this thread is because my pc froze while installing the optional drivers

0 Likes