cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sam9000
Journeyman III

Vega 64 HDMI audio issue

When I want to use the audio from the HDMI port to my AV receiver from my Vega 64, two games I have alway crash without fail.  They do not crash when I switch the audio via Windows Sound options to headphones via my Creative SoundBlaster Z soundcard.  The HDMI audio from the GPU that I use is 5.1 channels, 24 bit, 192000Hz.  The HDMI cable that carries the audio is also carrying the video signal to my AV receiver.  10 bit color, Full RGB, 1920x1080, being displayed on my LG OLED televsion.

And these crashes aren't just the game crashing and going back to Windows, the entire computer locks up with a very annoying buzzing noise coming from the speakers.  There is no bluescreen and no error codes given, just a totally frozen computer that has to be forced to power off and then back on again.

The games in question are Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and Wolfenstein II.  All my other games appear to be unaffected.

I've tried the usual things to try and remedy the issue like turning all my overclocks off, deleting all AMD display drivers and applications and reinstalling them, disabling GPU fiddling apps like Asus GPU Tweak; CAM etc, deleting the games and reinstalling them, making sure Windows; AMD drivers and motherboard BIOS are all up to date.  Nothing has worked except being forced to use my headphones.  Also, my computer is well cooled.  All major components never reach over 60 degrees celsius.

Here's my computer specs:

CPU: 2700x

RAM:16GB GSkill Trident

MOBO: Asus Crosshair Hero VII (non wifi version)

GPU: Asus Strix Vega 64

Power supply: SeaSonic 1000w Gold

SSD: AMD R7 480GB

I'd really like to enjoy my games in full surround sound!

0 Likes
5 Replies
sam9000
Journeyman III

Nobody? Nobody else has ever ran into this?

0 Likes

bump

0 Likes
sam9000
Journeyman III

Bump

0 Likes
sam9000
Journeyman III

Nobody has ran into this issue before?!

0 Likes
sam9000
Journeyman III

Solved it. Sort of.

I think what Black Ops 4 and Wolfenstein 2 have in common is they like to use up the entire VRAM supply to keep things in cache, which is fine under normal circumstances, but probably doesn't take into account that the GPU is also using some of that VRAM to operate the audio going out of the HDMI to the receiver.

So, I went to Black Ops 4's config file and found the section that deals with how much VRAM the game is blindly allowed to use.  I saw that by default it was using over 99% of the total VRAM, so for a test, I typed in 80% instead.

And Viola, no more crashes while using HDMI audio on my Vega 64.  At least on Black Ops 4.  I'll have to see if Wolfenstein 2 will allow me to choose how much VRAM the game is allowed to use.

Any chance AMD engineers read this stuff? I'd like this fixed sometime in the future, please.

0 Likes