cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

grogg
Adept I

Vega 64 - Crashing after idling for a long time

I recently upgraded my GPU from a RX 580 to a Vega 64 and I haven't had any issues while gaming or watching movies, or anything that requires a graphical load.

The only issues I have been having are when the system has been idling for a while - let's say any random time from 20 minutes to a few hours, the display will time out and at some point the system will crashed. The only way to recover it is by pressing the reset button on the PC. Pressing control-alt-del won't do anything as the system is locked up.

Checking Windows 10 event viewer does not show any errors or software that may have crashed. The only thing I notice is that when I log into Windows 10 it says that my Wattman settings have been restored to default. I monitor GPU temperatures in HWinfo and the temperatures are quite cool, nothing near values that would cause problems.

Things I have already tried but have NOT worked:

• Doing a clean GPU driver install using DDU and/or AMD's clean install utility
  • Installing Monitor drivers
  • trying both HDMI and DisplayPort - the crashes happen with both
  • setting a TdrDelay value win Windows 10 registry to 8 seconds
  • setting the minimum HBM state to state 1 instead of state 0
  • disabling sleep modes in Windows 10
  • disabling Link State Power Management in Win 10 power plan settings
  • removing any software such as MSI Afterburner
  • setting Voltage Swing to 1 in Wattman. I have not tried setting it to 2 yet as I do not exactly know what this setting does and I don't want to damage my monitor.

It seems like there is an issue where the system goes into an idle state and then tries to wake the display back up. Some how it is crashing the whole system.

My system specs are

CPU: Ryzen 1700

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB ddr4

Motherboard: Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7

Storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD

PSU: EVGA 750 G3

GPU: XFX Vega 64 (air cooled)

Monitor: Dell S2719DGF

0 Likes
0 Replies