Adept II
Adept II

Vega 64 - 17.8.2 System Hang - Windows 10

AMD Graphics Card

SAPPHIRE RX Vega 64

Operating System

Windows 10 64-bit 1709

Driver version installed

17.8.2 (also 17.10.2, 17.10.3, and 17.11.1)

Display Devices

DELL P2415Q 4K (DP)

DELL U2412M (DP)

Motherboard + Bios Revision

GIGABYTE GA-X99P-SLI (F23)

CPU/APU

Core i7 5820k

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

Corsair AX 1200 (1200w)

RAM

G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz

Describe your issue:

After several hours of being essentially idle (web browsing) my monitors will go black or have a single static color, then the system turns off. When I return to Windows, AMD Radeon Settings says that it reset the settings due to an unexpected system crash. The settings are set to the default (balanced profile) and it still occurs randomly. I do not have any problems gaming for several hours at a time (Prey). It appears to happen way more frequently if I have a virtual machine running using VMware Workstation 12. I had no issues before when I was using an XFX RX 460. I ran DDU before installing the latest 17.8.2 drivers. This also occurred on 17.8.1 but I'm not sure about the betas before it. I updated pretty quickly after the official 17.8.1 was available.

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or if I have a defective card, but it seems like a driver problem since I've never had a system crash during game play.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

Added new tested drivers.

0 Kudos
66 Replies
ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Vega 64 System Hang

So yesterday I decided to turn off "Link State Power Management" as well as change the WattMan profile to "Power Save". It has been a day and no crashes have occurred. I'll need to test some more to see if either of those options did anything.

0 Kudos
theacclaimed
Miniboss
Miniboss

I too have observed this behavior. However, I have been running my system with Link State Power Management disabled. I have also been running it in Power Save mode since pretty much day 1. I have only observed the issue two times and it only happens to the system sometime after it has waken from sleep. It never happens after a cold boot.

ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

Hmm. I've crashed, rebooted, then crashed again all within 30 minutes before. I never put my system to sleep so that wouldn't be a factor. I'm now testing "Balanced" with "Link State Power Management" disabled. So far no issues but it usually takes several hours. If it doesn't crash all day tomorrow then that is most likely the culprit.

0 Kudos
theacclaimed
Miniboss
Miniboss

If I had to guess, the issue is related to the following bug.

• After resuming from sleep and playing back video content the system may become unresponsive on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.

I've run into this bug several times already. The Event Viewer points it to volmgr. My guess is it it's a driver issue with HBM2 clock timing, HBCC bug despite Radeon settings reported it as disabled, something along those lines. I doubt it's hardware since the card runs fine under full load for hours of testing PUBG, Quake Champions, BF1, FFXIV, etc.

0 Kudos
ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

For your issue perhaps. I went back to Balanced and crashed 30 minutes after a reboot. Re-testing with power save now to make sure.

0 Kudos
ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

My conclusions thus far:

1. No crashes with power save profile. Gaming or otherwise.

2. Random desktop crashes with the balanced profile, but no crashes when gaming.

I have no idea if this is a driver issue or not. I'd really hate to RMA my card. I'll open a ticket with SAPPHIRE and see if they have any advice.

0 Kudos
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner
Forerunner

I'll have to keep an eye on this - so far I haven't noticed any issues (running 2 Sapphire Radeon RX 64's). I am currently running a custom profile and the PCI-e power settings are set to moderate. This system has gone in and out of sleep mode the last 48 hours without any issues.

For now these are running on a basic test system: Intel i7 6700K, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1000W P2 (EVGA), 2 x Dell UP3216Q displays. Once I've deemed the drivers stable enough I'll move it over to Oscar Mike

0 Kudos
ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

I'm quite certain the link state is not the cause. It's probably my card if no one else is having this issue. I opened a ticket with SAPPHIRE today so I'll see what they say.

0 Kudos
theacclaimed
Miniboss
Miniboss

Has this happened after playing any youtube video or using Windows Media Player or Movies & TV? It only seems to happen to me sometime after using any of those applications. Granted I always have seem to encounter the bug with the playback but for some reason my computer is able to recover if it's a video in the web browser. Disabling Hardware Acceleration is a workaround for that but it doesn't fix it for stand alone players like WMP, Movies & TV, and MPC. Only a reboot will fix that.

The black screen unresponsive behavior has only been encountered twice in the 7 days that I've had the card. Both times it occurred while using the computer after a resume from sleep, though not immediately from the resume. I too am using a Sapphire RX Vega 64.

Another thing you can try as a test is to use PCI-e power cables that are separate and not the daisy chained ones. Meaning two separate 8-pin cables that connect separately to the PSU.

0 Kudos