Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Vega 64 System Hang

I never suspend my system so that's not it. It's pretty much random and always occurs with balanced or a custom profile. Sometimes it'll crash when watching YT or when Trader Workstation is running or when I'm typing a message into Steam. My PSU does not have daisy chained PCI-E cables so it is two separate cables going into the GPU. I mean it could be the power supply (it is several years old now), but it doesn't crash during game play which is way more stressful than sitting at the desktop. It crashes every few hours out of the blue when not on power save.

0 Kudos
theacclaimed
Miniboss
Miniboss

Does it hard crash forcing you to reset the computer? The time it happened to me, all 3 monitors went black and I had to press the reset button on the side after waiting a minute or two to see if it would recover on its own.

0 Kudos
ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

Yes, but I have to use the power button to turn it off since reset doesn't do anything. It's definitely a hard lock up. It's not a driver crash that you might get after overclocking.

Edit: I checked the PSU voltages using AIDA64 and everything looks perfect with power save and balanced.

0 Kudos
ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

I'm sending it back to Newegg for a replacement. I had one crash with power save yesterday so I'm thinking the card is defective. I just hope they have some 64's in stock so I can get the new one shipped out quickly. I'll update this thread after I've had some time with the replacement.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Edit: I actually remember a similar problem with the Sapphire Nitro 380X that I had a long time ago. It was a common problem with that card. I never experienced it with anything prior or after until now (GTX 770, GTX 980, RX 480, RX 460).

0 Kudos
gh0st47
Adept II
Adept II

Hi was wondering what kind of crash you're getting ? Is your PC locked up and needs a hard reset ?
I've just built my PC few days ago now I'm facing some issues as well. At first it's bad frametime and stuttering in games, as of just now I was playing Titanfall 2 my PC BSOD on me, not even sure if it's a BSOD since my screen was literally BLUE and there's a sound loop....I had to hard reset myself. Normally this isn't a good sign, for BSOD it will usually automatically restart...but I used WhoCrash there was a crash report and it's blaming AMD's Driver being the cause of the BSOD...

I'm running on Gigabyte VEGA 64 Liquid + 1700X. Windows 10 64-BIT.
I was testing this newly built PC with my old Fury before so far it didn't have any issues before ( Was testing to see what's the cause of the stuttering caused by inconsistent Frametime ).
But I was playing other games and did a long stress test with VEGA 64, it didn't crash on me so far....

Now I'm scratching my head whether if it's Hardware related issue or Driver / Software.
I eve re-installed my OS few times already.

0 Kudos
theacclaimed
Miniboss
Miniboss

What power supply unit are you using? You need to make sure the 8-pin cables are two separate cables, not both on the same cable that connects to the power supply. Also, you need to have an 850w for the liquid cooled Vega in order to handle the transient spikes that go over 570w from the wall.

For reference I'm using a corsair RM850 and have not had any issues after making the following changes: Switching to two separate 8-pin cables and disabling Hardware acceleration on the web browsers in order to avoid the software bug which is related to this thread.

Here is the Software Bug:

• After resuming from sleep and playing back video content the system may become unresponsive on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
0 Kudos
ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

The issue you are having seems different. When it locks up, my monitors go black but they are still on. If I wait a few minutes, nothing happens and they stay black. The reset button doesn't do anything so I have to hold the power button. I know what you're talking about with the sound looping crash since I've had that happen before but not with this card.

0 Kudos
gh0st47
Adept II
Adept II

I have Corsair HX1000 and yes I split the PCIE cable I didn't daisy chain it.  Yesterday was running Unigine Heaven for over an hour it was fine. OR mentioned you can check GPU Voltage with AIDA64? I couldn't find it, or was it CPU Voltage?

0 Kudos
ryan768
Adept II
Adept II

AIDA64 can probably be used to check all voltages. I used it to monitor the PSU voltage because that is a sign of a bad power supply if those are dipping too much.

Power Supply Voltage Tolerances

gh0st47
Adept II
Adept II

I see maybe I should test mine as well then. How long do you let it run ?

0 Kudos