Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

williwilli01
Adept I
Adept I

USB Ports highly unstable with 5000 Series CPU and B550/X570 boards

I believed a lot of people already know this issue but AMD still don't have any fix on the issue, which causing a lot of pcs' basically unusable as most or even all of the USB ports are not working, both internal or external are affected. 

For my issue, I RMAed a TUF B550M-Plus and the new one has the same issue. Tried every BIOS update and they did not fix it. Tried disabling C-state, forcing it to run in PCIE Gen 3 instead of Gen 4 also did not fix. All of the possible fix listed on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kbr6zl/usb_issues_on_b550x570_motherboards/) did not help at all.

I'm wondering whether anyone in this community has any recommendation on how to fix the issue as I'm running out of ideas now. 

If the issue still exist and AMD don't have a fix for it at the end of the January, I'll tell every customer to avoid AMD products at all cost.

18 Replies
eagle12426
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: USB Ports highly unstable with 5000 Series CPU and B550/X570 boards

hello, I'm about to do a build. About the 5000. Is what your talking about is it also the same with the 9 3950x? Are they effected also with the X570 MOBO?

0 Kudos
goodplay
Esteemed Contributor III

Have you tried disabling 'usb selective suspend' ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT,
0 Kudos
williwilli01
Adept I
Adept I

@eagle12426 wrote:

hello, I'm about to do a build. About the 5000. Is what your talking about is it also the same with the 9 3950x? Are they effected also with the X570 MOBO?

This issue only appears on 5000 series so far (I've build around 100 pcs with AMD since the 5000 series launch) so I believe the issue only happens with 5000 series and B550/X570. However, the usb ports did happen when AMD first launch the 3000 series

0 Kudos
williwilli01
Adept I
Adept I

@goodplay wrote:

Have you tried disabling 'usb selective suspend' ?

Tried that one as well. I believe the issue is coming from the usb controller inside the CPU (it was built-in to the chipset in previous series of CPU, but this time they put it into the CPU for some reason, don't know what the heck they were thinking), and the usb controller is made from another company, might have a QC issue there 

0 Kudos
Amioran
Adept I
Adept I

I opened the same exact thread myself pointing out this huge issue (that I believe at this point to be common knowledge) but in the "processor" section. For now  there's no solution to the issue of the USB ports not working correctly with Zen 3, we just have to wait for a (hopefully soon) solution from AMD, much probably in the form of a driver update for the chipset. 

xlox
Miniboss
Miniboss

what's the link between usb and cpu ? you bought 100 motherboard of the same brand ?  maybe check asus too ? no ? bios update etc ?

0 Kudos
Amioran
Adept I
Adept I

All brands show the same issue, and yes, there's a clear connection between USB ports and the CPU (in fact in many cases when you bend a pin on the CPU the first thing that starts working badly are the USB ports). For example by disabling the C-States in the CPU some of the issues (manly to do with the ports not working correctly anymore after being suspended) are resolved, but sadly those are only some of the problems the USB HUBs in the Motherboards have.

0 Kudos
xlox
Miniboss
Miniboss

i have 5950x and x570 from asus, no usb problem detected at all since i have them (and had a 3900x on that board) ... so your issue doesn't seem related to cpu neither chipset,  in my view ... did you contact asus support or did you come directly to amd forum?

0 Kudos
Amioran
Adept I
Adept I

It depends with which peripherals you use those ports (or how you use them); if they don't require full USB 3.x specs/power then you will probably not notice any problem in the majority of circumstances (for example I have no issues with my mouse and KB, or even my HOTAS or USB Wheel), however once you have something that does then you will have problems. Try for example attaching an external powered USB 3.0 Hub to a port with C-States enabled on your CPU and then you will see that after Windows puts the latter on a C-State the HUB will stop working completely and you will need a full power cycle for it to work again. This is just a single example, but there are many others (one of the most common is using the latest VR headset of HP that requires full power/specs from a 3.0 USB port and that, for this, has issues for EVERYONE that has a B550/x570 mobo with a Zen 3 CPU).

Just because it doesn't happen to you given that you probably don't use the ports you have to their fullest it doesn't mean the problem is not there and, btw, just a little search on Google would have dispelled your doubts on  the matter completely. I repeat: the issue happens with ALL brands and it is not specific to Gigabyte, Asus or whatever; it is a problem that has to do specifically with the CPU/Chipset and much probably AMD is already full aware of this (and, in fact, the latest Agesa BIOS are all targeted at USB ports issues, but they still have to resolve the matter fully).

0 Kudos