cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

uProf install fails on RHEL 7.5

As part of the installation of uProf 2.0 on Red Hat Enterprise 7.5, I am running into this error message when I attempt to install the Power Profiler Linux Driver. (I downloaded the tar ball rather than trying the RPM.)

The User Guide for version 2.0 says to run

sudo AMDPowerProfilerDriver.sh install

I am running as root in any case...

When I run the command above, I get the following message:

ERROR: Linux headers is required for installing AMD Power Profiler driver.
       Please install the sources using
       sudo yum install kernel-devel
       and then start the installation again.
[root@localhost bin]#

But I have installed these already:

[root@localhost bin]#  sudo yum install kernel-devel
Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
Package kernel-devel-3.10.0-957.5.1.el7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

Taking a look at the install script itself, the issue occurs at a point where the script checks for the existence of a directory; see verify_kernel_header() below. Since uname -r returns 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64, we expect a directory /lib/modules/3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64/build to exist. It does:

[root@localhost bin]# ls -la /lib/modules/3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64/build
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 38 Jan  5 22:00 /lib/modules/3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64/build -> /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64

I can verify that it is looking at /lib/modules/3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64/build

So... why is this failing?? 

verify_kernel_header() {
    # kernel headers is linked to build directory
    HEADER_SRC="/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build"
    if [ -f /etc/redhat-release ]
    then
        if [ ! -d ${HEADER_SRC} ]
        then
            echo "ERROR: Linux headers is required for installing AMD Power Profiler driver."

0 Likes
7 Replies
swarup
Staff

Hi alvaroafernandez‌,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We will fix this issue in the next release of uProf.

Thanks,

Swarup

0 Likes
swarup
Staff

Hi alvaroafernandez‌,

This issue is fixed in the next release of uProf.

Thanks,

Swarup

0 Likes
tg_l3harris
Journeyman III

Hello SWARUP, 

I have the same problem and I am using version 3.3 of AMD uProf.  I did not use the installer instead I downloaded the tarball and extracted it to the root directory of a machine running CentOS 8 using an AMD Ryzen 3950X  CPU.  Please help.

0 Likes

Hi tg_l3harris‌,

One of the reasons could be that the kernel headers are not installed. Could you please check and let us know the following details.

1. Get the kernel version, using command ‘uname -r’

2. Check if there is a folder under /usr/src/kernel/<kernel-version>

Example

$ls /usr/src/kernel/4.18.0-193.19.1.el8_2.x86_64

Note:- The kernel-version folder name should exactly match with ‘uname -r’ output.

3. Kernel headers are located at /usr/src/kernels/4.18.0-193.19.1.el8_2.x86_64 and if  it is not present, needs to be installed to build uProf.

0 Likes

Hi tg_l3harris‌,

After installing kernel-headers, you might need to install few more dependencies. Usually those missing dependencies shown during compilation. Please share the compilation errors you are getting.

0 Likes

Hello swarup, 

Success!  I installed other dependencies and then the profile driver.  Thank you for your help.

0 Likes

Hi tg_l3harris‌,

Good to know that you are able to install it now. Feel free to let us know your feedback and queries.

0 Likes