cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tomr234
Journeyman III

Updating driver makes my PC not recognize the graphics card.

Hello. Today when trying to play F1 2018 (since it was free to get over the weekend) I ran into some pretty severe bugs. I look on their forums and users are advised to update drivers and mine are from 2017 (came with gpu). So I decide to update.

I downloaded the auto updater wizard from the official AMD website. It gives me some options and I download the one which is "officially windows certified" and "widely tested". I also enable the "factory reset" option which deletes old drivers. The download goes smoothly and my pc restarts once it is complete.

Then I start running into issues. The first thing I notice is that my screen resolution has been reset to be the lowest setting. I fix that from control panel without issues. Next I find out that ASUS GPU Tweak 2, a program for gpu diagnostics that came with the card, has stopped working. It gives error "Load vendor.dll Fail. Please install VGA driver.". Here I also saw that the edges of program windows have changed, likely due to a reset of windows aero options. I open up the control panel to fix it, but the windows repair wizard for aero tells me that my graphics drivers need to be updated to be "WDDM-Compliant". Aero used to work on my PC just fine.

I open up System Information to see what has happened, and I am greeted with this screen when I open the display section:

https://gyazo.com/977d697a9bee880bbec71ddda4c2c645

Before I downloaded the new drivers this page was full of "AMD" and "Radeon RX 580" etc. Now it is all generic. I then run DxDiag, and it also comes up with generic information. It is attached.

Where did my graphics card go? Should I try to reinstall the drivers? Should I get a new card? What's going on here?

1 Solution

Don't use the AMD auto updater nor the updater from within Radeon Settings either. Can't tell you how many times I have heard stories like yours. 

Download DDU from wagnardsoft_com. Follow the directions included. It will remove all drivers for GPU and leave a clean install slate. You have a Polaris card and many are complaining of the drivers released in 2020 being bad with cards like yours. I have an RX 580 myself and have had issues. I loaded a driver from November 2019 and it is much less problematic than the 2020 drivers. 

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/beta/win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.11.3-nov1... 

You can run DDU and install the latest 2020 driver if you want to, and if that doesn't work out just run DDU again and try the driver posted above. 

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

0 Likes

Don't use the AMD auto updater nor the updater from within Radeon Settings either. Can't tell you how many times I have heard stories like yours. 

Download DDU from wagnardsoft_com. Follow the directions included. It will remove all drivers for GPU and leave a clean install slate. You have a Polaris card and many are complaining of the drivers released in 2020 being bad with cards like yours. I have an RX 580 myself and have had issues. I loaded a driver from November 2019 and it is much less problematic than the 2020 drivers. 

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/beta/win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.11.3-nov1... 

You can run DDU and install the latest 2020 driver if you want to, and if that doesn't work out just run DDU again and try the driver posted above. 

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Hi, 

Thanks for the swift reply.

Your solution seems to have worked, System Info now recognizes the card and gives the right driver date.Everything works fine. Thank you very much

0 Likes