cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jgraf66
Journeyman III

Updates not deleting old files

I have a DELL desktop running Windows 10 64 bit. It has an AMD Radeon R9 270 video card. Whenever I follow AMD update instructions, it installs the update OK but does not delete all the old files. As a result, I have an AMD folder in my Windows Program File folder that now contains over 33GB of data. I need to remove it.

I tried uninstalling all AMD software using Windows uninstall but that didn't help. I also ran AMD's uninstall program that supposedly strips out all AMD software, except for chipset files. That didn't help either.

My question is twofold - how do I fix this or, after running AMD's uninstall program, can I just delete the 33GB of program files without somehow screwing up my system by deleting something that is used by other programs??

0 Likes
2 Replies

Download DDU and use that to remove all traces of your current AMD driver & software. Also delete C:AMD installation folder.

After using DDU you can search for any AMD folders & delete them if it concerns the GPU driver

0 Likes

That isn't a problem I've seen before, where C:\Program Files\AMD grows in size, but it's a design feature/relic of the past that C:\AMD, the main directory driver packages are unpacked to, remains untouched after each install, so a full copy of everything is kept there. It's safe to delete all the older driver folders in there.

Given how Windows 10 works though, it's very safe to do as @elstaci suggests and use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to wipe all AMD display driver related files, just make sure you create a system restore point beforehand in the rare event it causes any issues.
0 Likes