cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

unmog
Journeyman III

Updated my RX 480, now black border when restarting

So I'm not sure what's going on, but now after updating my graphics card it seems to forget the HDMI scaling I set when I start my computer. Basically this causes me to have to go into the AMD settings and redo it everytime, or to manually change my display settings somehow for it to set it right again. After googling it I found some information about going into the reg edit to change the DALR6 DFPI entry. I didn't exactly have the same one but it mentioned it might be called something different, so after doing that and restarting it didn't help anything so now Im here.

My current driver is 18.2.1, is anyone else having this issue? Anyone know how to get my scaling settings to stick at all so I dont have to do it manually everytime I startup? Any help would be appreciated.

Might or might not be important but it doesnt hurt to add, I recently just got back my card after sending it in to get repaired. I havent yet added the new card to my account since Im not sure exactly if I can do it with a card I just got back from AMD since I dont have a new proof of purchase or receipt or anything, they just sent me a new card I think.

0 Likes
3 Replies
unmog
Journeyman III

• AMD RX 480
  • Desktop
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Graphics Driver 18.2.1
  • Vizio 1920c1080 @60Hz HDMI
  • MSI Z97 Gaming 7 LGA 1150 Intel BiosV 1.12
  • Intel i5-4690
  • Power Rosewill Capstone 1000W Modular Power Supply 80Plus Gold Certified
  • 32GB RAM
0 Likes

Me again... surprised no one has answered. After waiting for a reply and not getting anything I decided to try a few things. First I tried downloading the new version, 18.2.2, in hopes the problem was fixed. It wasnt. Then I tried to roll back my driver, but I could only roll back to 18.2.1. Then I tried downloading and installing my last version, 17.12.2 which surprisingly also didnt work, which makes me think the problem was related to the AMD Radeon Settings App. So I tried uninstalling the driver, then reinstalling the latest version 18.2.2, which led to a different problem.

When I started up finally my screen was now too big, where your border goes off the side of the screens. So I tried using the app to fix the border again. After a restart I had the same problem, another black border Then I got clever and tried offsetting my screen size so it would be correct when logging in, which worked 99%. Normally I need a 6% HDMI scaling, but if I set it to 3% where its slightly too big, then I restart, the size is more or less where it should be. Kind of annoying but I figured Id let people know the work around I discovered until an actual fix is made, though still unsure what happened to cause the problem. My only guess still is something changed between updates 17 and 18 and my monitor doesnt approve.

0 Likes
theslainwolf
Journeyman III

I am also having this issue but I have found no work around to this date. I have had this issue since 18.2.1 update. (I updated about a week and a half ago)

SPECS:

-Intel i5-6500 (stock cooler)
-MSI ARMOR OC AMD RX480 4gb
-Gigabyte z170n-wifi miniITX mobo
-8gb Corsair DDR4 2400mhz RAM
-500w EVGA 80+ GPU
-250gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD-250gb Samsung 850 Pro 2.5in SSD

-500gb Western Digital 5200rpm 2.5in HDD

I generally have to have my HDMI scaling at 3, if i restart my PC it stays at 3 but the screen has a black border. I'm using a 48in Proscan TV as my monitor (this is a media PC with light gaming) Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes