cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

eric_on_fire
Adept II

updated adrenaline drivers for Vega FE?

Why are owners of the pro-GPUs so far behind in gaming drivers? With my Vega FE Liquid, even with the release of 19.Q1, I'm still stuck on 18.9.3 adrenaline drivers while those with standard Vega 64 cards are on 19.2.1.

1 Solution

Bah, it's KMD_IsGamingDriver=1 not Mode! Sorry! That's what I get for typing late in the night.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
heltaaa
Adept I

Same Question! I Invested a lot of money in this *****card including a morpheus 2 and 2 120mm radiators. I was wrote three tickets to technical support and got answers i couldnt accept.

First contact:

Dear Technical Support, the 18.11.1 "gaming" driver is available for 2 weeks now. So im wondering wheres the "Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition for Radeon Pro" equivalent. Its quite odd to spend twice the money a random Vega64 costs and then have to wait eternally for he latest drivers. Even if its just a "gaming" driver.

First response:

Thank you for your email

I can understand your concern, at this point of time I do not have much information I will make a note of the feedback and report it to the concern team internally.

Thanks for contacting AMD

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AM

AMD Global Customer Care

Second contact:

Dear Technical Support, as i mentioned in my ticket last week its !3! weeks now since the 18.11.1 release. Still there is no equivalent "Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition for Radeon Pro". When will it be out?

Second response:

Thank you for your email

I can understand your concern, at this point of time I do not have much information, we cannot comment on the time frame of the new driver release.

I will make a note of the feedback and report it to the concern team internally.

At mean time I also request you to subscribe for to our newsletter to receive the latest updates on the product.

https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/subscriptions

Thanks for contacting AMD  

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AM

AMD Global Customer Care

Third contact:

Dear Technical Support, Its almost a month since the 18.11 Adrenalin Drivers came out. Still there is no equivalent for the Vega Frontier Edition. Im getting realy ***** if i just think about the money i spent on the Vega FE and further extras to prevent overheating. No way i can imagine why people buying your best hardware get treated like *****.

Third response:

Thank you for the email and sorry for the inconveniences caused to you.

Can you please reconfirm me that are you looking for the latest gaming driver support?

Because currently have 18.7.1 driver as a gaming driver option with the 18.Q4 professional driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/radeon-pro/radeon-pro-series/radeon-vega-fronti...

Thanks for contacting AMD.

Best regards,

Ali

AMD Global Customer Care

After this i gave up. They could have made an extra 750€ by selling me the VII and i could have mounted the morpheus 2 on the VII. But since they dont care about their customers i had to decide otherwise. I will stick with the FE until it breaks and then go green.

eric_on_fire
Adept II

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is now reporting that I am using an unsupported driver, even though my Vega FE Liquid (19.Q1.1) is using the most recent Adrenalin Edition for Radeon Pro 18.9.3 driver.Assassin's Creed® Odyssey2019-3-7-19-6-8 (2).jpg

eric_on_fire
Adept II

My contact:

The most recent Adrenalin Edition for Radeon Pro driver for my Radeon Vega Frontier Edition (Liquid-cooled) is still only the 18.9.3 driver. Ubisoft, and other developers, are no longer supporting this driver. Meanwhile, other non-professional Radeon Vega GPUs have continued to receive driver updates. It appears that you are abandoning the customers that bought your flagship consumer GPU. Please tell me this is merely an oversight?

AMD response #1:

I understand you are looking for driver update for Radeon Vega Frontier Edition (Liquid-cooled).

Please visit below link for latest driver

https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/radeon-pro/radeon-pro-series/radeon-vega-frontier-edition-liquid

Thank you for contacting AMD.

My clarification:

No, I am looking for an updated Adrenalin Edition for Radeon Pro driver.

AMD response #2:

Please be informed the available driver update for Radeon Vega Frontier Edition (Liquid-cooled) is 19.Q1.1 driver.

Please let me know are you looking driver update for another graphics card? If feasible can you please provide me the Dxdiag report.

In order to proceed please provide me DXDIAG report of the system.

·         Click on "START" > Click "Run” > Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK" > Click "Save all Information”. Please attach this to the email.

Thanks for contacting AMD.

My clarification:

This is a two part report:
1) With 18.Q4.1 installed, the most recent Adrenalin Edition for Radeon Pro driver that is available through Driver Options on the Vega Frontier Edition is 18.9.3. That version is now so antiquated that it is no longer supported by game manufacturers.
2) The 19.Q1 Radeon Pro software packages (and 19.Q1.1) do not detect Vega Frontier Edition as being eligible for Driver Options. To install Driver Options on Vega Frontier Edition, the most recent Radeon Pro software package that works is 18.Q4.1.

DirectX Diagnostic and Problem Report Wizard reports are attached. Screen captures to illustrate the issue are inline below.
18Q41_DriverOptions.PNG
19Q11_install-1.PNG
19Q11_install-2.PNG
2 Attachments

AMD response #3:

Please be informed there is no external link for gaming driver.

Once you installed 19.Q1.1 driver on GPU you will get the package for install the gaming driver. Afterwards you switch over the gaming driver.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

My clarification:

The 19.Q1.1 Radeon Pro software package does not detect Vega  Frontier Edition as being eligible for Driver Options. To install Driver

Options on Vega Frontier Edition, the most recent Radeon Pro software package that works is 18.Q4.1.

a2razor
Adept III

Options on Vega Frontier Edition, the most recent Radeon Pro software package that works is 18.Q4.1.

I actually do get the "Driver Options" custom install prompt in the original 19.Q1 release from feb 5th, yet not the latest 19.Q1.1.  Which is ironic as the 19.Q1.1 release-notes contain a mention of addressing an issue with the multi-driver switch feature (which isn't even available in 19.Q1.1).

Definitely this should be getting more attention than it is.  A person installing a Vega FE faces mass confusion whenever they look for the features that AMD themselves advertises under "Connect".  The tutorials cannot be followed, the feature is broken at best / does not work, and information online is scarse.

Far as the Assassin's Creed (and other modern games), you should be able to install the latest 19.3.2 drivers in "pro-mode", which gets you past the driver-nags and net you acceptable performance ... albeit without any of the gaming features or ADL clock control.

Not saying this is acceptable by the way or trying to justify it in any way.  AMD, please fix your advertised features and don't neglect your professional card lineup.  Or, at least adjust your documentation accordingly.

yodamann
Adept II

Having the same issue, no DRIVER OPTIONS is showing to switch to gaming mode drivers. No prompt to install multiple drivers, its broken. Really disappointed in Vega FE support. Why are the drivers lagging so far behind? it should be the other way around! Developers need the latest drivers to properly test their code, the hardware is useless otherwise...

astralstorm
Adept I

Adrenalin 19.5.2 was supposed to install fine on Vega FE. It doesn't, puts the card in Pro mode. Please fix your installer and/or driver to not try to be smart.

I cannot even manually override this thing by e.g. installing ccc2_install.exe manually or force replacing the driver on the GPU. Windows is probably "too smart" here.

0 Likes
astralstorm
Adept I

Actually, it seems the driver has to get smart.

To enable gaming mode, create dword key KMD_IsGamingMode with value 1 in the right display key, e.g.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 (might be any number). This, after reboot, will switch the driver to gaming mode with all of the features.

0 Likes

This didn't work for me. For some reason the dword disappears after I install 19.5.2. For now, I guess I'm stuck using the Pro driver on that machine.

0 Likes

You're supposed to set the flag *after* installing the driver. It will evaporate if you use Clean Install option of course, but otherwise it keeps tight between driver updates. Just like the workaround.

0 Likes

I did that as well. The DWORD remains after reboot on my machine, but the software remains in Pro mode.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Bah, it's KMD_IsGamingDriver=1 not Mode! Sorry! That's what I get for typing late in the night.

sorry to bother. I am not that "Pro" to know exactly what to do. can you elaborate how to get this flag set to 1?

I also have the FE, and I lost the "gaming" driver option a few months back, and even then, I would be very interested to get the fan control, voltage control settings only allowed in Gaming drivers.

I just downloaded the Adrenalin June 7, 2019, but after installting, I reboot, and get back the Pro Driver blue screen settings.

0 Likes

Install the driver, then run the Registry Editor by pressing Windows + R, then typing "regedit" OK

pastedImage_2.png

Find (Ctrl + F) for "KMD_" within Values, which should put you into a subfolder within Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

pastedImage_4.png

Right click, and select New > DWORD

pastedImage_5.png

Name the new entry "KMD_IsGamingDriver" and then right-click on it and select Modify, change the Value to 1, OK, Exit, Reboot

pastedImage_6.png

Many many thanks for the detailed explanation. Now at work, but will make sure to try this tonight at home.

can I ask, do you know if the 10-bit support is attached to the Pro drivers or would it be there also in the gaming drivers? -I use two monitors with 10-bit support for some color work.

0 Likes

10-bit color still shows for me after the gaming reg hack in the 19.7.1 gaming drivers.

i came across this searching for updated drivers for blockchain use for frontier FE cards.  Do you have any experience with these? i see the blockchain support in the redgit screen, so im assuming its built into the software? just need to turn it on? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

0 Likes

thanks, it worked perfectly. Now I can finally fine-tune the undervolting, fan curve to make the most of gaming with the Vega FE.

0 Likes