cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

adeininger93
Journeyman III

update killed my gpu

I did a windows update today, after the restart AMD was not found on my PC, looked up on the website noticing that my Radeon 480Rx needed an update from 9/29. After the update. it required a restart during the initial boot up it was just a black screen.  after 5 hours of diagnosing the issue. My GPU was the issue. my PC only works when the GPU is out of the PC where I have to be plugged directly into the motherboard to type this. SO as a loyal AMD user who has sent countless of information through your own product id like a new Radeon 480 RX simply for me trying to do the right thing and getting burned for it... IF I do not receive the product I will take my business else where probably to your competition Nividia. 

6 Replies
stoan
Journeyman III

if using a HDMI try using a DVI, i myself get stuck in a boot loop with my MSI R7 370 after trying to use the adrenaline software they provide. i'm hoping that finding my original disc can resolve this but i don't think that would fully update my drivers since my upgrading from that started this mess to begin with. 

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

SO,You did an update and it's AMD's fault? Sounds legit

0 Likes
stoan
Journeyman III

official manufacturer update on their own hardware isn't the consumers fault. surely you jest 

0 Likes
adeininger93
Journeyman III

ill try the DVI thanks stoan,

YEAH earnhardt, i did an UPDATE FROM AMD, FOR THEIR HARDWARE for OPTIMAL performance, ONLY to be workign with a handicapped computer now, MY GPU is now unplugged to make it work and im stuck using integrated graphics now simply because of this update... AND EARNHARDT theyve had issues with windows for years, and obviously arent doiing anything about this. 

0 Likes

I believe it and I can't explain it but I had a similar thing happen with my R9 380x. Fresh install of Windows 10 2004. Everything was running fine. First installed a 2019 driver as I had already had issues with older GCN cards on the 2020 driver on some other machines. I wanted to test the 2020 driver so installed the driver. The screen went black hung, I restarted and the card never worked again. I can't prove one way or the other what happened but it is odd. I have also seen quite a few other complaints of the same thing. This was just 5 weeks ago and one driver ago. 

I advise anyone on Polaris or earlier to stay clear of the 2020 drivers if you can. 

You can certainly talk to AMD support about the issue here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Long time ago AMD did a bad update for the 4870 that burned it out by running full tilt 24/7 with no fan speed. I luckily got a RMA, and AMD took down the driver, but AMD has a history of doing bad things to older hardware with updates. Anyone with a 290/390 and dual monitors will notice their RAM runs 100%, and this didn't happen on the CCC drivers.

Polaris was well built, but it's power delivery system has a HISTORY, where release hardware of 480's were pulling too much power out of the PCI-E slot. AMD literally fixed this with a driver update, because apparently it can be controlled via drivers on Polaris. While a cool "feature", this also means Polaris could be a ticking time bomb for any random driver to decide to do something weird with power delivery, and you have to trust AMD to not brick your system.

Speaking of that, I am running a Vega 56, and early drivers had massive power spikes that literally killed my previous PSU. I've since bought a Corsair PSU that can and HAS survived these power spikes until AMD fixed the problem.

That said, driver stability of late 2019/2020 has been absolutely terrible with barely anything working. The black screens have gone away, but none of the advanced driver features work right, and neither does ReLive + Instant Replay. Each update is a complete dice roll for stability. I've only had luck with 20.4.2 WHQL, and 20.8.2. RDNA seems to like 20.5.1 HWS. We might get one or two "stable" driver updates a year, so you pretty much have to keep an eye out for them.

Meanwhile, the only time AMD acknowledges and attempts to fix serious problems is when tech press spotlights an issue. The website Tech Report (which was heavily biased and now defunct) has forced AMD to re-write GCN 1.0's memory controller code to reduce stuttering, and fix water pump noises on FuryX. Recently, youtubers have forced AMD to work on fixing black screens, but they were not going to address it otherwise, much like all the other bugs we're having that are going unfixed. AMD apparently is using the public as beta testers, and to make it worse, not acknowledging bug reports.