cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

CritRick
Journeyman III

Unknown Device

So I am having a problem with my driver/gpu. First it says its unknown in the device manager. When I go to install drivers it shows no AMD device has been found. I would really like some help because I am trying to build this for my son. The GPU is AMD Radeon RX 480. Thanks

0 Likes
1 Reply
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Make sure to use an 8 pin PCIe power plug, not the twin molex to 8 pin adapter. Makes sure you disabled or switched the primary display device in BIOS to the card if this has onboard video. Obviously make sure the GPU is connected to the display, not the board. Then download the following 2 things DDU and the 20.8.3 driver form these links:

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.6 (guru3d.com)

Radeon™ RX 480 Previous Drivers | AMD

After downloading and saving those, disconnect form the internet and install DDU but don't run it yet. Boot Windows into safe mode, assuming this is Windows 10 ( 8.1 isn't really supported and there's a different but doable workaround), hold the "shift" key and click "restart". A blue screen will appear and select "advanced", "startup options", it will reboot again to a blue screen with options. Choose "safe mode" and boot into Windows. Now run DDU and remove the previous GPU driver, if it was Nvidia and you tried to install the AMD, you'll want to do this procedure twice, once for Nvidia and once for AMD. 

Now that the driver has been removed, remain disconnected from the internet for now. Install the 20.8.3 driver, it should install normally with a reboot. After it reboots, go into the Radeon settings and disable the auto update feature. Newer drivers can be a problem for this GPU. If you're still having issues, please respond with the full system specs.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes