cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rawintellect
Miniboss

Undervolting the XFX RX 590 "Fatboy" cards

These cards are notorious for overheating and in my quest to find a way to run these cards cooler I've found what works for me. Note: I say for me. Your mileage may differ, but I'm sharing in the hopes that I can help someone else.

Basically my values for power states 3 & 4 are 1100mV, 5 is 1105mV, and 6 & 7 are 1110mV and my power limit is actually pushed up a little to +7%. I also have the memory timings set to Level 1.

I'm able to play "The Division 2" for as long as I want now with no crashing and temperatures were lowered by 10-20c. 

Put in practical terms, under load, my card never rises above 60c, which is a dramatic improvement over the near 80c I was seeing at stock settings along with frequent crashes.

I should also note that I have both of my cards fans running flat out. I'm honestly not worried about fan failure. In my 37 years of building computers I've only seen one fan fail and that was a case fan. I've never seen a video card fan fail, and to be honest by the time the fan WOULD fail I would have moved on to another video card anyway. The noise doesn't bother me as I can barely hear it. 

I'm sure these settings aren't for everyone and being that this is the internet I'm sure this will spark all kinds of rebuttals, but I really just wanted to help out someone in a similar situation as me. I've attached my working Wattman profile as well as some screenshots.

Cheers!Wattman_undervolting1.jpgWattman_undervolting2.jpg

Wattman_undervolting3.jpg

24 Replies
wth
Adept II

Just wondering if you're card has the dual bios on it.My xfx rx 590 was getting warm but they come set stock to the stealth or quiet mode bios.I flipped the switch to performance mode bios and temps went way down.Clocks are still the same but seems the performance mode sets a more aggressive fan curve.

0 Likes

Flipped the switch? Could you explain? I've looked at the bios via GPUZ and see only one listed.

0 Likes

The XFX RX 590's have a dual bios.There's a small switch to the left of the pci e power plugin's on the card.In default the switch will be closest to the power plug ins, that's the quiet or stealth mode.If u switch it toward the rear of the card its in performance mode with the more aggressive fan curve.Just shut down the pc and switch it to performance bios and restart and that's it.

Think XFX needs to put a little more info out on the dual bios as u would not believe how many people I've run into that had no clue about the dual bios or just how cool these cards will run in performance mode.

Thanks! I found the switch. I hope it helps!

0 Likes

I hope it helps ya out. I know it made a big diff. on temps for me.

0 Likes

It lowered the temps to 52c under load. Another 8c. Thanks for the tip. Awesome! So I started with 80c under load and my profile plus switching the bios to performance gave me a total drop of 28c. That's great!

Glad it worked for ya.

Hi man, i have rx590 fatboy and im having all the stuff ur saying, high temp crashes etc. Id like to do what u did, but AMD software was updated now, can u help me do the same on new software version ? 
Cheers!

0 Likes

Hi,

I had Problems too, but, found some settings that work for me. I have uploaded my Wattman settings and you can give them a try, I still get the occasional crash in The Division 2, but, I read that a lot of other people have that issue, so, I am not sure it is down to the settings, rather, the game itself. I now get reasonable fps, about 75 to 80, and my setup is Ryzen 3600X, 16gb 3200 Corsair Vengence cl16, Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite, XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy, Sharkoon TG5 Pro case, and Enermax LIQMAX argb 360 AIO CPU Cooler, my XFX does not go above 60C and my CPU above 70C. 

The Link to the File is

Gofile 

I hope this helps, according to the metric overlay I am not going above 140W with the card, which to be honest I am not sure about, as it seems very low compared to other Fatboys. 

0 Likes

XFX say on their Website that the right position is the "powermode".

https://xfxforce.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048824394-Which-BIOS-is-Performance-and-which-is-S...

I have got the same Issue of too high Temps. Even after undervolting it reaches 80C.

0 Likes

I can tell u for a fact on my XFX RX590 the performance mode is to the left.The only thing the dual bios performance mode does is set a more aggressive fan curve.

0 Likes
bryantttperez
Journeyman III

Hi.

I think if i have the same video card this configuration must worth it.

I'll try.

0 Likes

I hope it helps you, I have just moved on to an RX 5700, Gigabyte Gaming OC, got it running at 1850 GPU and 1860 RAM, undervolted to 980. Running really well, even in games I cannot hear it. It is a huge leap compared to my 590 Fatboy. 

0 Likes

I have tested your configuration and in one of the tests it deactivates vertical synchronization and then crashed. I have with my xfx 590 um ryzen 5 2600 and 16gb RAM. I would not like to screw up the matter by touching the voltage, because I am somewhat unaware of this topic.

0 Likes
binarydepth
Adept II

The temps is what prevents me from buying this card, Core clock is fine with the performance BIOS but the VRAM still is at 80 C in GamersNExus testing video and there's a reason for that. If I get get the VRAM to run at low 70's then would definitely buy. So The only need is to undervolt the VRAM and maybe switch to looser timings and the performance mode should keep the core on the 70's. But this more aggressive undervolt is quite amazing if it can run even cooler. I will consider buying with this voltage settings as reference. I would like to see the stock settings for different states to see how far the undervolt goes. Also even though the card doesn't crash with benchmarks can show decrease in performance when I tried with my card.

0 Likes

Mine's still running no hotter than about 60c since flipping the dual bios switch on it.Have had the card for over a year and no issues what so ever.Will add none of the 6 or so people I know or game with that have a XFX RX 590 are not having any issues with their cards either after flipping the bios switch to performance bios.

0 Likes

TY for the response. I have a question, does the manual show well how to switch to performance BIOS orientation wise. Is it away from the power connector or forward to the power connectors? Or maybe a better reference would be the output ports, away or forward to. Also, this is my very first PC I build and never had power connectors and wonder if the plugs from the PUS are foolproof meaning I can only plug it correctly because someone on Youtube talked about being sure to connect it right so you don't fry the GPU.lt

Also my main problem with this GPU was that in the testing at GamersNexus the VRAM was running at 80 C and for me that's a no no, have you checked VRAM temps? If the card run at 60 overall just with the BIOS switch then undervoing may not be necessary at all.

Note: I just ordered the GPU

0 Likes

The switch is just to the left of where the power hooks up.Its a micro switch and will most likely be flipped to the right. Just install the card and flip the switch to the left and that's it.I did watch the GamersNexus vid but have not had those type temps ever on my card with it set to performance mode.That card will get hot under load if u run it in the default bios but on the other hand XFX should be letting people know more info about the dual bios.I'll double check vram temp but think it was fine last time i checked it.

Vrm's run under load on mine about 50 to 60c, Gpu memory is around 57 c average.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Talked to XFX support and here is what they said. It is away from power connectors:

9/16/2020 11:18:36 PM By mark@xbez Type:2
yes, Performance mode is generally with the switch TOWARDS the HDMI.
It only affects the fan speed curve, which is more for temperatures and sound.
The performance mode is louder but runs slightly cooler.

Hey thanks for posting that Binarydepth.Finally info from XFX that backs up what I been saying since day 1.

0 Likes
binarydepth
Adept II

I will try a fan curve like this, FAN = TEMP + 30 which turns 70C to 100% fan speed

0 Likes
binarydepth
Adept II

The underlvolt doesn't seem to be applying, a heads up with others who plan undervolting the GPU.

EDIT:

I tried auto settings and it get to 1.2 Volts under load so the undervolt is working it's just the driver doesn't let it go so low. It is undervolting.

0 Likes
Ruz022
Journeyman III

I consider one of my biggest mistakes buying this video card, with simple games it exceeds 70C, however, I was able to control its temperature when the Radeon Software was still working, but now that it has been damaged and no longer opens even with clean restorations, no I have another option than to install another application to do undervolt, but it is totally different from how it was done in Radeon Software.

What do I have to modify to have 60C again?

amd_graphic_error2.JPG

0 Likes