cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rawintellect
Challenger

Undervolting the XFX RX 590 "Fatboy" cards

These cards are notorious for overheating and in my quest to find a way to run these cards cooler I've found what works for me. Note: I say for me. Your mileage may differ, but I'm sharing in the hopes that I can help someone else.

Basically my values for power states 3 & 4 are 1100mV, 5 is 1105mV, and 6 & 7 are 1110mV and my power limit is actually pushed up a little to +7%. I also have the memory timings set to Level 1.

I'm able to play "The Division 2" for as long as I want now with no crashing and temperatures were lowered by 10-20c. 

Put in practical terms, under load, my card never rises above 60c, which is a dramatic improvement over the near 80c I was seeing at stock settings along with frequent crashes.

I should also note that I have both of my cards fans running flat out. I'm honestly not worried about fan failure. In my 37 years of building computers I've only seen one fan fail and that was a case fan. I've never seen a video card fan fail, and to be honest by the time the fan WOULD fail I would have moved on to another video card anyway. The noise doesn't bother me as I can barely hear it. 

I'm sure these settings aren't for everyone and being that this is the internet I'm sure this will spark all kinds of rebuttals, but I really just wanted to help out someone in a similar situation as me. I've attached my working Wattman profile as well as some screenshots.

Cheers!Wattman_undervolting1.jpgWattman_undervolting2.jpg

Wattman_undervolting3.jpg

23 Replies
wth
Adept II

Re: Undervolting the XFX RX 590 "Fatboy" cards

Just wondering if you're card has the dual bios on it.My xfx rx 590 was getting warm but they come set stock to the stealth or quiet mode bios.I flipped the switch to performance mode bios and temps went way down.Clocks are still the same but seems the performance mode sets a more aggressive fan curve.

0 Likes
rawintellect
Challenger

Flipped the switch? Could you explain? I've looked at the bios via GPUZ and see only one listed.

0 Likes
wth
Adept II

The XFX RX 590's have a dual bios.There's a small switch to the left of the pci e power plugin's on the card.In default the switch will be closest to the power plug ins, that's the quiet or stealth mode.If u switch it toward the rear of the card its in performance mode with the more aggressive fan curve.Just shut down the pc and switch it to performance bios and restart and that's it.

Think XFX needs to put a little more info out on the dual bios as u would not believe how many people I've run into that had no clue about the dual bios or just how cool these cards will run in performance mode.

rawintellect
Challenger

Thanks! I found the switch. I hope it helps!

0 Likes
wth
Adept II

I hope it helps ya out. I know it made a big diff. on temps for me.

0 Likes
rawintellect
Challenger

It lowered the temps to 52c under load. Another 8c. Thanks for the tip. Awesome! So I started with 80c under load and my profile plus switching the bios to performance gave me a total drop of 28c. That's great!

wth
Adept II

Glad it worked for ya.

artories
Journeyman III

Hi man, i have rx590 fatboy and im having all the stuff ur saying, high temp crashes etc. Id like to do what u did, but AMD software was updated now, can u help me do the same on new software version ? 
Cheers!

0 Likes
robbers
Adept I

Hi,

I had Problems too, but, found some settings that work for me. I have uploaded my Wattman settings and you can give them a try, I still get the occasional crash in The Division 2, but, I read that a lot of other people have that issue, so, I am not sure it is down to the settings, rather, the game itself. I now get reasonable fps, about 75 to 80, and my setup is Ryzen 3600X, 16gb 3200 Corsair Vengence cl16, Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite, XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy, Sharkoon TG5 Pro case, and Enermax LIQMAX argb 360 AIO CPU Cooler, my XFX does not go above 60C and my CPU above 70C. 

The Link to the File is

Gofile 

I hope this helps, according to the metric overlay I am not going above 140W with the card, which to be honest I am not sure about, as it seems very low compared to other Fatboys. 

0 Likes