Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kushan
Adept II

Unable to upgrade Windows to 1903, even with 9.2.0.105 drivers installed

Hi All,

I'm currently running Windows 10 1809 and I'm keen to upgrade to 1903. I understand this was held back for some AMD users due to the RAID drivers having an incompatibility. However, according to every site and source that I can find, e.g. Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows Server, version 1903 - Windows Release Information | Microsoft ...  the compatibility issue has been fixed in RAID driver version 9.2.0.105.

I have installed RAID driver 9.2.0.105, however I still cannot update to 1903.

When I check Windows Update, it does not offer me the update. If I run the update assistant tool, it eventually gets to this screen:

pastedImage_2.png

When I search for this error, it leads me back around in circles to the same articles saying that it's all fixed in 9.2.0.105.

Here's proof:

pastedImage_3.png

I have updated chipset drivers, graphics drivers (I am running an nvidia card, for whatever it's worth) and anything else I can think of but no dice. Any suggestions?

I'm running a Threadripper 2950x on a Gigabyte Aorus X399 Xtreme motherboard.

0 Likes
1 Solution
kushan
Adept II

Unfortunately I was using RAID for my boot drive, so could not disable it. However, I have good news - I have managed to get the update installed!

Yesterday I decided to run through every single troubleshooting step again, just in case I missed something (Spoiler: I hadn't). I even went down the routes of running sfc /scannow (More spoilers: It didn't find or fix anything).

However, I happened to notice that there was a driver update listed on X399 Drivers & Support | AMD - posted only on the 10th of June, so hot off the press - 9.2.0.120.

Aha! I thought, this can't be a coincidence, maybe this minor update fixes things? Installed, rebooted and....nothing. Still no update, still getting the same error message.

However, when I checked the drivers in device manager, all of my RAID devices were still reporting 9.2.0.105. Thinking I had made a mistake, I re-ran the installer but despite there being zero error messages, the actual installed drivers were not updating.

Out of desperation, I downloaded the binary driver (You know, the thing you're supposed to use when installing windows fresh) and manually updated each instance of AMD-RAID Bottom Device, AMD-RAID Controller [storport] and AMD-RAID Config (By right-clicking and selecting "update", then manually pointing at the folder with the binary RAID drivers). Windows reported that the drivers had been updated and after a reboot, it finally let me update to 1903.

TL;DR - Update to 9.2.0.120, if that doesn't work then go into device manager and force each AMD-RAID component (There should be 3 different names and they can be listed multiple times) to update to 9.2.0.120.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kushan
Adept II

Has anyone got any idea on this? Should I go speak to Microsoft about it?

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

...or if you aren't using raid, you could disable it in the bios.

0 Likes
kushan
Adept II

Unfortunately I was using RAID for my boot drive, so could not disable it. However, I have good news - I have managed to get the update installed!

Yesterday I decided to run through every single troubleshooting step again, just in case I missed something (Spoiler: I hadn't). I even went down the routes of running sfc /scannow (More spoilers: It didn't find or fix anything).

However, I happened to notice that there was a driver update listed on X399 Drivers & Support | AMD - posted only on the 10th of June, so hot off the press - 9.2.0.120.

Aha! I thought, this can't be a coincidence, maybe this minor update fixes things? Installed, rebooted and....nothing. Still no update, still getting the same error message.

However, when I checked the drivers in device manager, all of my RAID devices were still reporting 9.2.0.105. Thinking I had made a mistake, I re-ran the installer but despite there being zero error messages, the actual installed drivers were not updating.

Out of desperation, I downloaded the binary driver (You know, the thing you're supposed to use when installing windows fresh) and manually updated each instance of AMD-RAID Bottom Device, AMD-RAID Controller [storport] and AMD-RAID Config (By right-clicking and selecting "update", then manually pointing at the folder with the binary RAID drivers). Windows reported that the drivers had been updated and after a reboot, it finally let me update to 1903.

TL;DR - Update to 9.2.0.120, if that doesn't work then go into device manager and force each AMD-RAID component (There should be 3 different names and they can be listed multiple times) to update to 9.2.0.120.

Hello Kushan

Can you let me know where you downloaded the binary drivers. The only thing I can find is an MSI file which I cannot use because I have an Intel processor. Please let me know, TIA

Best regards

Johan

0 Likes

johanharmsen‌ my issue is specific to an AMD motherboard running an AMD processor. Whatever issue you're experiencing, if you've got an Intel CPU, is unrelated to anything in this thread.

hi Kushan

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately another dead end for

Thanks anyway

Johan

0 Likes

Thanks Kushan, I had the same problem.

As of September 2019 the 9.0.2.127 drivers are available, however the driver version packaged with the installer still contains version 9.0.2.105, which doesn't work properly with 1903.

Manually updating using the driver-only package works.

On a side note, most if not all motherboard makers only have the installer package available, with the old driver.

0 Likes
mattfl
Newcomer

Have you had any trouble with RAID 1 arrays using the 9.2.0.120 RAID driver on Windows 10 build 1903?  I've got a brand new clean Win 10 build 1903 install with RAID driver 9.2.0.120 and I'm having trouble with one drive continually disconnecting, and curious if you are seeing anything similar?  Here's a link to my post about it. 

0 Likes