cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dftm1
Adept II

Unable to update driver Sapphire RX 470 8Gb NITRO +

On Windows 7 there are no problems with the driver.

On a freshly installed Windows 10, the driver installed by the system works without any problems (17.7)

If you try to install a new driver (any newer), then after a restart, during the OS startup there is a BSOD - Thread stuck In Device Driver

If you remove driver 17.7 and then install a newer one, the BSOD occurs during driver installation.

ASUS P8Z77-VL LX2 (latest bios version) | i5-3570K | Sapphire RX 470 8Gb NITRO + | 8Gb RAM | Power supply 600 watts.

0 Likes
28 Replies
pokester
MVP

Re: Unable to update driver Sapphire RX 470 8Gb NITRO +

Run the Latest DDU from wagnardsoft_com, just out yesterday. Disconnect from the internet. Then install the new driver, with custom settings, clean install. That should do it. If not you will want to let AMD know by opening a support ticket. You can find the link in preferences in Radeon Settings.

0 Likes
dftm1
Adept II

such simple things as DDU and clean installation have long been tried and do not help

0 Likes
dftm1
Adept II

bsod.png

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Both Dump files show the same information according to Blue Screen Viewer:

121418-30171-01.dmp 12/14/2018 8:14:34 AM

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

0x100000ea

ffffd20d`baf1c080

atikmdag.sys

atikmdag.sys + fb7ab

x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1b1b40

Drivers affected are DXGKRNL.SYS and ATIKMDAG.SYS

From all that I have read about your error, they all state it could be a bad GPU Card or most likely a GPU Driver. Here one that gives a couple of tips on resolving the error: Fix THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER dxgkrnl.sys BSOD - Windows Bulletin Tutorials

This give some good advice, just don't download their recommended software : https://appuals.com/fix-thread-stuck-device-driver-bsod-windows-8-10/

EDIT: LoL, just reread you last comment. You did use Blue Screen Viewer. So disregard the first part of my comment.

Also if you are using Trixx or MSI Afterburner, uninstall it and then try to configure your RX 470 using AMD Wattman. Several Users needed to configure the RX GPU cards to be stable and not crash.

Someone can show you the problem way to configure the RX GPU card to be the most stable.

0 Likes
dftm1
Adept II

Unfortunately, the methods described by the links do not solve the problem.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Try to configure the RX 470 using AMD Wattman.  Other Users have had success using Wattman to stablize their RX GPU cards.

Someone else will need to advice you on how to configure the RX for best stability.

It is advice to uninstall any 3rd party software like MSI Afterburner or Trixx, since this at time has conflicts with AMD Wattman.

0 Likes
dftm1
Adept II

the system is freshly installed (the problem is not mine - I help another person, if you see many programs on the screenshot this is my system) the system does not use overclocking programs, etc. , the video card is stable and works without problems on Windows 7 - it is not physically damaged

increase the voltage in wattman already tried - does not help

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

pokester​ or kingfish​ can show you what I am talking about. It concerns the Power scale on Wattman and I believe a couple of other settings.

0 Likes
dftm1
Adept II

The problem is that the system crashes immediately after trying to install the driver i. it does not work for a second with the new driver (clean install) or crashes during the OS boot (installation over the old driver)

I can change the firmware of the card and change many parameters, but this will require additional actions when installing the driver every time.

0 Likes