Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Todeskult
Adept I

Unable to properly install newest AMD Software on Windows 7

Hello,

I'm unable to install properly (to the very end) a newest Radeon Software on my Win7 64-bit.

It always breaks at almost the end of installation process with message "Oups, something went wrong, blah blah blah"  - no matter how and what I do: I did an update of existing version, uninstall (then reboot, clean install, reboot), with AMD Cleanup Utility and fresh install. Everything fails.

I believe it has something to do with the fact that according to release notes AMD Link feature is no longer supported on Win7. But why the installer is keep on saying "Oups"??? It should be just showing a message that AMD Link part is not installed because of lack of support on Win7 and should end with success. I mean the drivers and other part of software are installed but AMD Link is the feature was very useful for me as I was using it on my mobile to monitor the temperatures and utilization.

When I do try to start in manually (with C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\AMDLink.exe) it shows that "The program can't start because XINPUT1_4.DLD is missing from your system)". I'm guessing that it's a part of DirectX 12 libraries which is not supported by Win7 and it is indeed missing in Windows\System32 folder while on my office laptop with Win10 it's there.

Is there any workaround for this (excluding rolling back to previous version)?

0 Likes
1 Solution

What is the exact AMD Installation error are your getting? Something like Error 182 etc.

That will give a clue as to what is the real reason why the AMD installation is failing to install successfully.

If it is only with the latest AMD Driver then use AMD Radeon Settings Bug Report to report it to AMD Support or open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies

Would help to know your computer specs including Make & Model of your GPU card.

0 Likes

As mentioned system is Windows 7 64-bit (build 7601)

MoBo is Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero with Intel i5-4430@3GHz

GPU is Asus Radeon R9 270X DirectCU II TOP edition with 4 GB DDR5

0 Likes

Where do you mention the Make & Model of your GPU in your original post?

Also Windows 7 must be fully updated via Windows Update for the AMD driver to work correctly.

Here is the latest AMD Driver for Windows 7 from AMD Download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-...

If the driver you installed is for Windows 7 then it shouldn't have a feature that is not supported by Windows 7.

If the above AMD driver is still giving your error try installing a previous AMD Driver to see if the latest is the problem from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-seri...

Try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode (Best method) or from the Desktop with the Internet disconnected. Also delete AMD Installation folder if created at C:\AMD.

After DDU reboots back into Windows with the Internet still disconnected, run the full AMD Driver package and if it installs successfully, reconnect the internet and again deleted C:\AMD folder.

0 Likes

Windows has all latest updates (checked that this morning)

I understand that if AMD Link feature is not supported on Windows 7 then I can't do anything about that, but the question is why the installer ends with error message?

There was no problem with installation of previous version of Radeon Software, i.e. 21.3.2, it is only with the newest 21.4.1.

I can try do the Display Driver Uninstaller trick, if it wont help then I guess I must live without AMD Link until I'll upgrade to Win10. Was about to do this for some time now, but was waiting with that until I'll upgrade also to a new PC: mainboard, CPU, RAM and GPU but since the prices for the latter are insane nowadays it may take longer than I'm expecting to...

What is the exact AMD Installation error are your getting? Something like Error 182 etc.

That will give a clue as to what is the real reason why the AMD installation is failing to install successfully.

If it is only with the latest AMD Driver then use AMD Radeon Settings Bug Report to report it to AMD Support or open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

Sadly I didn't made a screenshot with the error, but now I can write this:

DDU helped with that, installer didn't show that message after performing a clean-up and doing an installation from scratch.

Still no AMD Link feature is visible on the main screen but since it's announced as being not supported on Win7 with the newest Radeon Software version I guess I have to live without it for a while and my only option is to upgrade to Win10 (or downgrade the driver to the previous 21.3.2).

Thanks!

If you still have the valid Windows 7 Key you can try doing an Windows 10 Ingrade Upgrade and use your Windows 7 key to try and activate Windows 10 after upgrading. 

Even though Microsoft has said it won't upgrade to Windows 10 for free anymore it was still working a year or more after that announcement.

No harm in trying and you can always revert back to Windows 7 within, I believe 10 days, after upgrading to Windows 10. Just don't delete Windows.old folder or make a Windows 7 System Backup before doing a ingrade upgrade.

Doing an Ingrade Upgrade will save all of your Windows 7 Apps and settings. All you have to do is run Windows 10 Installation disc or from the Microsoft Windows download page while on your Windows 7 Desktop.

When it asks for a Windows 10 key click that you don't have one and let it proceed to install. After Windows 10 is installed go to Windows Settings - Update & Security - Activation and input your Windows 7 Key and see if it gets activate for free.

0 Likes