cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

WildBillUK
Adept I

Unable to install latest drivers 22.10.2 and get them working?

Hi All,

I will be posting quite a bit of detail in the hope someone will spot a config error and help me get the latest 22.10.2 working on my system.
I am new to team Red so hopefully doing something wrong but I will post images as we go as it helps me better explain.
This is a quite a new system I built based on the spec below:-

OS Name            Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

Other OS Description     Not Available

OS Manufacturer            Microsoft Corporation

System Name    MSI-X570S(removed)

System Manufacturer     Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

System Model   MS-7D52

System Type      x64-based PC

System SKU       To be filled by O.E.M.

Processor           AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date          American Megatrends International, LLC. 1.41, 02/08/2022

SMBIOS Version              2.8

Embedded Controller Version     255.255

BIOS Mode         UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer            Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Product         MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI (MS-7D52)

BaseBoard Version         1.0

Platform Role    Desktop

Secure Boot State           Off

PCR7 Configuration        Elevation Required to View

Windows Directory         C:\WINDOWS

System Directory            C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device       \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale   United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer       Version = "10.0.22621.1"

Username          MSI-X570S(removed)

Time Zone          GMT Summer Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)            32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory   31.9 GB

Available Physical Memory          23.9 GB

Total Virtual Memory     36.4 GB

Available Virtual Memory            24.4 GB

Page File Space  4.50 GB

Page File            C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection  Off

Virtualisation-based security       Not enabled

Windows Defender Application Control policy              Enforced

Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy    Off

Device Encryption Support          Elevation Required to View

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions          Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware       No

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection       Yes

I currently have the recommended drivers installed 22.5.1 and they appear to be working well on programs I tried until recently. The Radeon Adrenaline software also opens and allows you to adjust the GPU setting etc.

When I try and run Call of Duty MWII I get the following error.
Screenshot_116.png

I load up the Radeon software and it say my drivers are up to date!
I changed the setting to allow recommended and options and it shows a new driver is available.

Screenshot_118.png

I download this driver and then click install, it then throws the following error.

Screenshot_121.pngScreenshot_122.png

Windows 11 is not supported?

OK, I think this must just be a bug so I drop into safe mode, run DDU & AMD Cleanup utility just to make sure everything is cleaned.

I open Windows Group Policy and enable "do not install driver updates" so that when i reboot into Windows it will not try to install a GPU driver etc.

When back in Windows I download the latest driver (whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.10.2-win10-win11-oct.exe) and proceed to install it. No error this time about Windows 11 not supported etc.

After reboot the GPU driver is installed, I can see it in device manager with the correct date and version number etc

However there is no icon in the system tray to open the Radeon Software and no option on the desktop right click etc

I locate the software ("C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSoftware.exe" and when I run it I get the following error

Screenshot_113.png This is as far as I can get, the only way to get the Radeon software back is to do a clean install of the recommended software (22.5.1) but then MWII will not work and we now in a repeating cycle

I have tried several attempts to install and get the latest software working with no joy, always the same result.
I have also removed several pieces of software thinking there might be some compatibility issue with the AMD installer :-

Bitdefender removed

MSI Centre removed

MSI Afterburner removed

Process Lasso removed

ICue removed

I even tried installing the latest driver with a Windows Clean boot with only Microsoft software enable and things like Razer, Steelseries, Logitech , Samsung Magician all disabled.

I am a bit lost what to do next, I have googled for a few days and have seen reports of the same issue from other users but with no solution other than to roll back to the 22.5.1 but then I cannot get software to run like MWII that wants the latest driver ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you for taking the time to read this report and if you can spot anything in the above or offer a solution it would be highly appreciated -  THANK YOU

34 Replies
Justifier
Challenger

Edit... nm must have glazed over the part where you mentioned you did ddu. Well this is an odd one. Will be following it

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers

Thank you for the suggestions, I did use DDU as originally stated "

OK, I think this must just be a bug so I drop into safe mode, run DDU & AMD Cleanup utility just to make sure everything is cleaned.

I open Windows Group Policy and enable "do not install driver updates" so that when i reboot into Windows it will not try to install a GPU driver etc."

I checked the AMD Chipset driver and these were what I installed a few days ago:-

I assume using group policy to disable Windows updates is the same as pulling the cord?
I did let Windows settle for 10 mins to make sure it was not installing anything in the background before installing the latest GPU driver after a DDU clean in safe mode etc

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support#driver

AMD Chipset Driver4.07.13.224320 22-09-27 51.96 MB

Any other suggestion?

0 Likes

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570S-CARBON-MAX-WIFI/support#driver

Correct motherboard link but its the same driver

0 Likes

An AMD mod had flagged this as missing information?

Thought I had supplied most of this but here the missing bits

Power Supply = 1000W EVGA SuperNOVA P2, 80 PLUS Platinum

Monitor = LG C2 42IN 4K SMART OLED TV

Memory = 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-32000 (4000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16, 1.35V, AMD Ryzen Optimised 73TE7

Do you have anything to suggest to help me get this issue resolved please Mr Mod?
Don't think the monitor, memory or power supply gonna be the game breakers here considering one AMD version works and the latest does not /shrugs

0 Likes
Axton
Challenger

I have this version running on my 6950XT, no issues so far, only a few days into it.  When I search these forums for "cnext" I get a ton of results, maybe someone has a fix that works?

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/windows-cannot-find-c-program-files-amd-cnext-cnext/td... 

hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

What GPU is the OP using?

0 Likes

No clue but I can say it is also happening on my MSI 6700xt Gaming X so they aren't the only one with this problem.

yelmurcb
Adept I

Wish I had an answer but this is also happening on my MSI 6700XT Gaming X so you are not alone.  I have not found a solution as of yet other than to roll back to 22.5.1 but it is funny because I was using a newer driver before this but even it won't install now so I am upset being without Opengl.

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

"BIOS Version/Date          American Megatrends International, LLC. 1.41, 02/08/2022

SMBIOS Version              2.8"

I don't know if this link is for your actual motherboard:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570S-CARBON-MAX-WIFI/support 

but if it is, then there's a newer BIOS available for it.  I'd start by installing whatever is the newest BIOS for your particular board.

I also don't know what chipset driver version you're on.  But, here's where I think your X570 version should be:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 

So, make sure that's up-to-date.

According to the information you've given, the OS is fully updated, so there's nothing more you can do there.  What specific video card do you have?

EDIT:  Oops, you just posted your video card above.  If the above doesn't work, I guess the next bit of cargo-cult stuff I can throw your way would be to redownload those drivers and try installing them yet again.  Sorry.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6000-series/amd-radeon-rx-6900-series/amd-rade... 

EDIT2: Double-oops.  That wasn't you.  So, I'll ask again:  what video card are you using?

Hi There,

Thank you for the replies - GPU is a MSI RX 6950 XT Gaming X Trio 16gb.

0 Likes

I did check the bios version and it was 1.41
On the MSI website the latest available is 1.40 but it got a later date than the 1.41 which I assume must have been removed in the last week or so I flashed the 1.40 version as that the latest ATM.

I installed the AMD 22.10.2 after a safe mode DDU but the issue remains with the AMD Radeon Software unable to run giving the following error.

Screenshot_113.png

What is strange is that MWII will run and work so its seeing the new driver is installed and working, its just you cannot alter any Radeon Software setting because the program refuses to run

Thank you for your suggestions though, appreciated.

0 Likes

Have you checked for corrupt system files?  Are your pcie power cables on their own rails with no peripheral power sharing?  My XFX 6900 xt black behaved badly until I got its power right.

Well that's one I haven't heard before. Will keep that in mind

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

From PowerShell terminal window (administrator), does

sfc /scannow 

run clean?

C:\Windows\System32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Thank you for the suggestion

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

This is certainly an odd situation.  Looking over your initial System Information stuff, my system is pretty close to yours.  A couple minor differences that shouldn't mean anything are that I've got Secure Boot ON, while you have it OFF and I have Virtualization Based Security ON and yours is OFF.  The only significant difference I can see is that down at the bottom of your list, you show some Hyper-V stuff that I don't have.  It doesn't look like you're installed to a VM, so that's probably meaningless.  I'm stumped.

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

On the Windows Feedback Hub, I see only one similar complaint about the Delayed Write Failed error:

https://aka.ms/AAikiu4 

(I have no idea if that link will work since it goes to the Feedback Hub).

Have you tried installing other AMD software?  Does Ryzen Master install?

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master 

How about the stand-alone AMD Bug Report Tool?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt 

If you can get that installed and running, you could at least send a bug report to AMD.

buddhavt3
Adept I

I had same issue earlier today. I resolved by disabling Defender real-time scanning (ie turning that $hit off) while I ran the installer. 

I had received a warning during the initial install, ignored it, and continued to update the driver. However FAILURE. So I finally had time to reboot and try again. But I disabled Defender and SUCCESS.

Wasn't there a significant driver-related security update that MS just pushed out?

Does Windows Defender show any kind of blocking under its Protection History section?

Screenshot_125.png

0 Likes

Mine did not. And oddly, I can't locate it in Event Viewer. So IDK.

0 Likes

I tried installing the drivers with all of Window defender disabled, issue remained

0 Likes

Do you have resizable bar enabled?  Have you error checked your ram?  The only time I've seen write errors on my system was when I tried to upgrade W10 to W11 but I've seen the same write errors on every AMD system I tried that with.

Also is there any version of Adrenaline that you can install correctly?  I would definitely submit a bug report to AMD about it.

0 Likes

Im also having the same problem Error 182
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD A4-5000 51 °C
Kabini 28nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-12-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ET2020A (BGA769(FT3)) 51 °C
Graphics
ET2020A (1600x900@64Hz)
ATI Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA )

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

How about Windows' Event Viewer?  Anything interesting in there around the times of the failures?  Are there any Optional updates available in Windows Update?  And, an even bigger stretch, you could try running something like Snappy Driver Install (or an equivalent you might know and trust) and making sure all your drivers are up-to-date:

https://www.lifewire.com/snappy-driver-installer-review-2619199 

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I know you did a DDU.  But, when you were actually installing Adrenalin, did you go to Advanced Options and check Factory Reset along with Full Install?  It's a long shot since you used DDU, but if you didn't use the Factory Reset option, maybe you can try it again. At this point, don't even bother with DDU.

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

If it's been less than 10 days since you updated to Windows 11 22H2, as a last resort, you could try "Going Back" to 21H2 and seeing if you can get Adrenalin to work there.  I've just finished doing that for the second time since 22H2 just causes all kinds of problems for me.

Settings > System > Recovery, and then, I think, Go Back (that's from memory).

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

I wonder if this is a driver thing or some Windows security bug as delayed write fail is supposed have something to do with not being able to write on disk as intended. There have also been other people complaining how games for instance stutter whenever something is read to written to M.2 or SSD.

0 Likes
shadow007
Adept III

Can you reflash your System Bios or update Bios then try to reinstall Driver.

MOBO :EVGA X299 DARK 151-SX-E299-KR CPU : Intel Core i9-10900X Skylake-X 10-Core 3.7 GHz LCR :Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 GPU :SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 6900 XT SE MEMORY: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum SE Torque 32GB (4 x 8GB) CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T SSD 01: SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 1 TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MZ-V7P512BW SSD 02: SAMSUNG 860 PRO 256GBX2 Raid 0 PSU : Corsair AX1200I 1200 Watts CASE :Thermaltake (Armor+) VH6000SWA SC :Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 5.1 Channels Monitor Acer XR382CQK IPS 3840x1600 @ 75HZ BD Samsung SH-B123L
0 Likes
Qanatoz
Challenger

@WildBillUKInsider Preview builds are not supported. You installed it at your own risk.

For now you are suffering from Windows security bug and driver OS check.

Read this: How to Set Windows Security Exclusions in Windows 11  and Protect important folders with controlled folder access 

0 Likes

He's on Microsoft Windows 11 Pro, Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621.  That's the latest, current, general release build (released to the public for general availability on 09/20/2022):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/windows11-release-information 

I have not installed any Windows Preview Build at my own risk!
I have only ever run Windows update from within Windows 11 Pro so not sure where you are getting this idea from...

0 Likes

Microsoft can push preview builds even if you not signed as Insider(look at digits after 22621.). You just need to click button update by yourself, it can't install automatically. I recommend to not be hasty with those "updates".

I personally downgraded to windows 10 and turned off updates for a while(because Microsoft keep installing their driver for GPU even after this was disabled by 3 methods (gpolicy, regedit and settings menu) and driver was removed from vault). Keep in mind that Microsoft can install their drivers even when you playing a game(yeah it will crash for sure) and you can found it only by reading journal and comparing version.

In month migrated completely to Linux but keeping small partition with windows 10 to run exclusive software(rarely).

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

AMD has released another Optional set of drivers (22.10.3 -- NOT WHQL certified).  Supposedly, it fixes:

"Black screen may occur during driver upgrade or settings reset using Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2 on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs."

That's not quite the issue you're having.  But, maybe it'll help.  At this point, its lack of WHQL certification is the least of your worries.

0 Likes