cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

monzzy
Journeyman III

Unable to install Drivers....... AGAIN! AMD AGAIN!

So i decided to upgrade my old ASUS Radeon HD 7300 series graphics card which has been used in a work station since 2013. 

I got a Asus Radeon R9 270 which should be an easy upgrade (albeit a replacement power supply was also needed). 

After the physical upgrade of the cards, the system would not install the correct drivers. This failed on so many levels including the following methods

Windows update - failed

AMD Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 and the previous edition - failed

AMD Auto Detect - failed

AMD Crimson 17.1.1 and the previous edition - failed

AMD Catalyst - failed

AMD Drivers only various version - failed

ASUS drivers both version. - failed

All of the above leads to the BSOD. The card works under the basic Microsoft driver so why will it not work when using the intended AMD drivers?????

After a bit of research it turns out this is a known issues and has been for some time but there doesn't seem to be a work around or a resolution for the issue. 

I have read through all of the how to docs which can be found on the AMD website where AMD explain there are many issues which can cause the BSOD including outdated updates, corrupted registry etc etc. So I went through and auctioned all of AMD recommendations yet I am still at the first hurdle. 

I have used AMD Cleanuputility on every driver install attempt

I have flashed the latest BIOS on the graphics card which is correctly detected in BIOS and GPUZ. The card works with Microsoft basic drivers. 

Anti-virus and Firewall have been turned off

I have tried install via safe mode

I have tried install without an internet connection

The below screen shot shows a driver has been installed after running Crimson 17.1.1 but I can open any of the installed software as it shows the software to be missing. 

Untitled.jpg

Ofcourse as soon I try to update the driver using Crimson, it black screens!!! 

So whats the next stage, what I'm I missing, What else can be done???????

BTW the card works. The fans spin, the lights come on every time, it posts with no issues, it shows an image under the basic driver. 

Asrock Q77 Vpro

I7 3770

16GB DDR3

650watt PSU

Windows 10 Pro 

0 Likes
1 Reply
joeperry
Adept I

I had the same thing bothering me about 3 weeks ago.  Everytime I tried to install the drivers (R7 265), black screen, system reboot, nothing.  Only safe mode, uninstall driver, use MS Basic Adapter.  Tried diff versions of drivers, same thing.  I still had some crashes now and the tough, even con MS Basic Adapter.  I reinstalled Windows, and nothing.  A hardware issue? At first I though it could be my PSU.   I bought a new rig in the meantime and as soon as I got the new PSU, I tested on my system: same thing.

That only left me with two choices:

- Motherboard failure

- Some weird problem with the drivers and/or Windows 10

Motherboard looks pristine after 8 years of usage; no leaking capacitors, nothing burned.  That's the only thing I had left to test and I guess I will never really resolve the mystery.

I've seen this issue to happen to A LOT of people, and I mean A LOT. Sometimes could be something related to faulty hardware, or could be the AMD software/Windows 10 combo. Microsoft nor AMD never really offered any clear explanation to why that could be happening.  Read it happen in very different hardware setups.

If I were you I would test hardware overall, including your mobo.  Also, try your video card on another setup if you can.  This is a elimination game.

0 Likes