cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

btspce
Adept I

Unable to change backlight brightness after cold starts.

Description of problem:

RHEL 7.1 fully updated. Unable to change backlight with catalyst after each cold start. Doing a reboot after each cold start solves the issue and it continues to work on every reboot as long as you don't do a cold start. Tested both 15.5, 15,7. Radeonsi works all the time.

HP Elitebook 745 G2

AMD Kaveri A10 PRO-7350B R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G × 4

Please fix this annoying problem.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Cold start computer. Backlight controls does not work.

2. Reboot

3. Backlight controls works.

Actual result:

backlight controls does not work after a cold boot.

Expected result:

Should work without reboot.

AMD Bugzilla link: Bug 1187 – RHEL 7.1 unable to change backlight brightness

0 Likes
6 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Unable to change backlight brightness after cold starts.

You need to report this to AMD > AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Likes
btspce
Adept I

Not sure if I sent them a report about this before so I did it again.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

I would try to reinstall the drivers again...using a NEW download of the drivers from AMD as there may have been some fixes. Read > The latest 15.7.1 driver version...dated

Then try one of these two methods to install them:

1. Using steps 1-5 , manually select your graphics drivers HERE and download/save to your desktop. Do not use automatic find and install.

2. Remove old drivers using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel****    

FOR COMPUTERS WITH INTEL PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and EXPRESS uninstall all AMD software including the install manager. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

FOR COMPUTERS WITH AMD PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and selectively uninstall the graphics drivers and CCC only. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Note: Disable all anti-virus/ anti-malware/ anti-anything while performing the installation. Very important.

Please note that if you choose "Custom Install" the new drivers, it will automatically install the 'Gaming Evolved' (raptr) app in addition to the drivers. If you do not wish to have raptr on your computer, choose 'Custom' install the new drivers and uncheck the box next to 'Gaming Evolved'.

This is a proven installation method that will work 99% of the time for everybody. However, there is the 1% who will need to use the 'Clean' install method. Use this if you run into issues.

0 Likes
btspce
Adept I

Yes I know about that update to 15.7.1. The file for both generic linux and the RHEL 7 rpm package did not get updated and are still the same since 15.7 released. Waiting for 15.8...

0 Likes
btspce
Adept I

This has been fixed as of 15.12.

0 Likes
btspce
Adept I

This has NOT been fixed as of 15.12. Answered to wrong question...

0 Likes