cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kinker31
Adept I

Ultimate Doom Builder immediately crashes upon loading anything

(Just so you know, this is my first post to the forum, if this isn't the right place to post this in, please don't get angry at me)

As the subject may imply, whenever I launch Ultimate Doom Builder, and try to create or load a new map, the program instantly crashes. There's not even an error message, it just immediately closes, without even giving me a crash log as to what specifically happened.

I've looked around the GitHub page, and the Doomworld/ZDoom Forums if it was something to do with the program itself, but from what I've found (1, 2), a new update to my drivers seemed to break something that UDB needed to use in order to launch the OpenGL stuff properly, and the only solution I could find so far was to rollback my drivers, something I'd rather not do.

EDIT: Oh, and I should mention that yes, I am indeed using the latest drivers (Driver Version
22.20.27.02-220831a-382995E).

0 Likes
2 Solutions
drr0ck
Adept III

Hey - so I recently updated to the latest AMD driver: 22.11.1 and Doombuilder is working for me now. Doombuilder has been updated a few times since my last post, so I am uncertain whether the issue was addressed in Doombuilder or on the AMD side, but just glad it's working now. If I could only get motivated to do more work on my level...

View solution in original post

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I also updated my AMD driver (Adrenalin 22.11.2 Recommended (WHQL)) and UDB as well and everything is working again. Also I dont know if the issue was fixed by AMD or Doombuilder devs.

According to that, using Adrenalin 22.5.1 (last stable version, released on 10th of May 2022) was also working with Doombuilder.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
drr0ck
Adept III

Same.  No idea if this is an AMD issue or a UDB issue.  Or rather, who might be able to implement a fix...

0 Likes

I just rolled back to the stable version, rather than the bleeding-edge version, and that fixed it for me. Kind of a shame I can't really use the most latest drivers with UDB, though...

0 Likes

The recent OpenGL improvements are very compelling for me.  I won't be rolling back and will wait for a fix.

0 Likes
drr0ck
Adept III

Really been wanting to use UDB.  Tried some additional searching and found at least one closed issue on the UDB github - Basically, they indicate something broke in the AMD drivers and closed the issue.  So this is not going to get fixed on the UDB side; at least not any time soon.  And a fix from AMD seems doubtful.  So I can either roll back my driver, which I prefer not to do, or maybe there is some kind of workaround I can try.  Was thinking something like a wrapper.  Going to play around and see if I can get something working.

Open to suggestions...

0 Likes
insaneOrbb
Adept I

I'm using the current Adrenalin version, Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL), and this problem isnt fixed yet.

Ultimate Doom Builder still crashes when loading a map.

Theres a version of UDB that uses Direct3D instead of opengl, which works, but it hasnt been updated since 2019: 

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdbbf/

If that doesnt get fixed anytime soon, I'm considering using an nvidia card in the future again (which i dont really want, but eventually have to).

0 Likes

I couldn't locate your GPU Make & Model. That is something really important to omit.

0 Likes

FWIW, I am running an AMD reference 6900 XT.

0 Likes
insaneOrbb
Adept I

I'm sorry, i forgot. 

I am using a XFX 6800 XT and a 5600x.

0 Likes

Thanks for the update.

0 Likes
drr0ck
Adept III

Hey - so I recently updated to the latest AMD driver: 22.11.1 and Doombuilder is working for me now. Doombuilder has been updated a few times since my last post, so I am uncertain whether the issue was addressed in Doombuilder or on the AMD side, but just glad it's working now. If I could only get motivated to do more work on my level...

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I also updated my AMD driver (Adrenalin 22.11.2 Recommended (WHQL)) and UDB as well and everything is working again. Also I dont know if the issue was fixed by AMD or Doombuilder devs.

According to that, using Adrenalin 22.5.1 (last stable version, released on 10th of May 2022) was also working with Doombuilder.

0 Likes