Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

[Ubuntu 16.04] Can not extract amdgpu-pro archive

Hello,

I'm running Linux Mint 18 (ubuntu based), I have a Radeon RX 480 and I want to install the AMD driver.

I found this page : How-To Install/Uninstall AMD Radeon™ Software AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux® on an Ubuntu System

I followed instructions and downloaded the ubuntu 16.04 driver archive, but here is the tar output :

tar -Jxvf amdgpu-pro_16.30.3-315407.tar.xz

xz: (stdin): File format not recognized

tar: Child returned status 1

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

It looks like the archive is broken.

I have downloaded again several times, with the same result when trying to extract it with tar.

Could you fix the archive, please ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: [Ubuntu 16.04] Can not extract amdgpu-pro archive

I am also getting a corrupted archive when I try to download the file

amdgpu-pro_16.30.3-315407.tar.xz

I just got my new graphics card and using the open source drivers my system locks up completely every few hours requiring a hard reboot.  Please fix the archive so I can use the pro drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

i am getting the same. wow, and its like 3 weeks after you posted this. Did you find a fix for the problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

+1 Same issue.

$ xz --list amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864.tar.xz

xz: amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864.tar.xz: Compressed data is corrupt

$ file amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864.tar.xz

amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864.tar.xz: data

What is this file?  Tried several times like the OP and same result.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I used my mobile and same thing happened. I used another computer and it worked. No idea whats the problem but try using another computer maybe and i know it sounds stupid...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Looks like there's some weird issue with the AMD servers, the download doesn't complete.  I tried several more times and finally got a working archive.

Now the install process? Well, that's it own set of fun debugging.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I also cannot do this. After inserting the new GPU on my PCI-e slot on the motherboard, Windows works fine but Linux cannot log in. Every login attempt causes a black screen to flash and forces me to return to the original screen. I opened up the terminal with "Ctrl+Alt+F1" and tried to download and install the tar file

~~~bash/terminal code

mkdir tmp && cd tmp

wget "https://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ubuntu/amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864.tar.xz" #From drivers section here - AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux® – Release Notes

tar -Jxvf amdgpu-pro_16.30.3-315407.tar.xz

#ERROR

~~~

Apparently this has been broken for 2 MONTHS! COME ON AMD! Do I need to return this GPU?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

This corrupted download issue is still happening until this day. It took me 2+ hours just now to get the download to work... I honestly don't know which of the things I tried fixed it. First, I tried fixing some bugs in the aspx, that chrome complained about: content attributes in the header that had semi-colons instead of commas, and some extraneous text "jia" in some javascript code that said it was "Compatibility Code for Chrome"... I tried Firefox, but it had the same issue. I found the "jia" may have been related to chinese translations, but otherwise I don't think it was supposed to be there... also I saw that a CORS request was rejected by the DOM. After 2 hours trying to make changes that would fix these things, I decided to try saying I was a different browser. Since the site is so microsoft-centric, I tried pretending to be Edge first. That didn't seem to work, then I clicked on the button that changes the layout (like if you're using a mobile device)... That made it much smaller, but it still wouldn't work. It always would download a 28MB file... Finally I was at the end of my rope & started clicking the link repeatedly. The second or third click in a row popped up a message asking me to allow the site to download multiple files. I ended up clicking about 6 times, and starting 6 downloads of the same file... 3 of them were 28MB, but the other 3 kept going. I cancelled all but 1 and it eventually downloaded the entire 116MB file...

AMD, that was freaking ridiculous. You gotta fix this bug in your website... Or just freaking let people download files from offsite, by opening the URL not forcing us to click on your stupid aspx page to make the download work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

This issue affected me. For others who find this thread, the 16.40 drivers are still available and worked for me to set up my mining rig:

AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux® – Release Notes

I also was able to download the file (using the same operating system and browser!) at work. Though you have no reason to trust me, I uploaded it here:

amdgpu-pro-16.60-379184.tar.xz - Google Drive

On Ubuntu I had to extract this twice, once from xz, and once from tar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Is this issue still ongoing?  I need to update my driver soon, so if there's a hurdle I'll try and find a way around it.

0 Kudos