cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mikes
Adept I

Trying to reinstall legacy drivers for Radeon HD 6950

Downloaded both the available  packages for Win7 32bit and neither are working. The Catalyst Suite has an error of a .inf file that cannot be found and the Crimson Beta doesn't appear to install any graphics driver at all. Never had a problem with Catalyst before now. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the downloads are corrupted from the AMD site. Any ideas?

1 Solution

Thanks for the info. I managed to restore my system so I've dodged the problem for now. My computer had been in storage for almost five years so I guess installing vid drivers has gotten a bit more complicated. Never had problems with the Catalyst drivers before. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Since you have provided no system specs I can only guess at a generic possibility. 

When you are regressing drivers you must remove the old drivers first and it can be problematic installing the old ones if you do not. 

Disconnect from the Internet.

Run DDU from wagnardsoft dot com, follow the included instructions. 

With the internet disconnected try installing the driver you want.

There could be a whole host of issues based on what hardware and OS you are trying to load as we don't know any of this, no way to tell. If this doesn't help please respond back with all the information Kingfish requested. 

0 Likes
mikes
Adept I

Windows 7 32 bit, XFX Radeon HD 6950 2mb, AMD Phenom X4 945, 4G ram, Asus M488TD-M/USB3 mobo.

Uninstalled previous catalyst drivers to try out the Crimson Beta drivers. They didn't work so I reinstalled the catalyst drivers I had saved to my system that had worked an hour before. They didn't work either. Downloaded catalyst  legacy drivers from AMD site for the 6950, got "missing inf" message upon installation. Only two driver suite choices to download, so I'm got sure what the deal is.

0 Likes

Current version of DDU no longer work on 32 bit. Softpedia has the last version that did and with the age of your drivers should still do the job

Download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) 15.7.3.1 for Windows 7, Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8, Windo... 

Run DDU from safe mode, follow the included instructions. 

Install the driver you want.

Thanks for the info. I managed to restore my system so I've dodged the problem for now. My computer had been in storage for almost five years so I guess installing vid drivers has gotten a bit more complicated. Never had problems with the Catalyst drivers before. Thanks again.

You are very welcome! Glad to help. 

0 Likes

So being the stubborn type I had to go back in and retry everything. Used DDU and reinstalled the drivers and catalyst suite. No wonky messages this time but it still didn't work...until I went to device manager and selected "update driver" for the graphics card. I pointed it at the catalyst folder and presto! I don't remember ever installing a vid driver in this manner, it always went straight in while installing catalyst. Ordered a newer card after all that, but at least I know another method to get things to work.