cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

JohnC37
Journeyman III

Trying to install 2 RAID arrays on one computer.

A bit of a long story...

I have an ASRock AM4 B550 Pro4 motherboard with 2 Samsung 1 TB SATA drives.  I also have 2 Samsung M.2 NVMe drives.

Step 1 - I followed the instructions to setup the M.2 drives in a RAID1 configuration.  Installation went great and I was able to use that array a number of times.

Step 2 - Now I tried to re-do my bootable partition into a new RAID1 using my 1 TB SATA drives.  I could get them to load but every time I tried to restore the partition, they became unbootable.

Step 3 - I stopped trying to restore the partition and just do a file copy and not replace duplicate files.  I was finally able to get that completed but for some reason, not all the files got properly restored and I just was going to put that off to fix.

Step 4 - During this whole several day ordeal, I have my C drive RAID1 working and my D drive RAID1 working at the same time.  Now I just wanted to reboot to make sure it's stable.  Bad mistake.

Step 5 - RAIDXpert2 in Windows now said array 2 was offline.  It could only see the 2 SATA drives in the C array (array 1) and not either of the M.2 drives.  I went into Disk Management, where Windows saw the 2 M.2 drives as 2 separate drives (0 and 1) but not as one drive.  The RAID 1 C drive did show as one drive.

Step 6 - I tried every combination I could think of by deleting the array 2, initializing the drives, moving one SATA data line as the motherboard manual said that the M2_3 slot (which I am using) shares a line with SATA 3, 5 and 6 ports so they were no longer shared.

Finally I just gave up and reformatted the 2 M.2 2 TB drives as "D" and "G" and both are working fine.

How do I get these 2 M.2 drives to work again as RAID1 and be seen by RAIDXpert2 in windows?  The BIOS version likes the drives very much and so does Windows it seems.

("Post flooding detected (user tried to post more than 2 messages within 600 seconds)") - I'm just trying to post the same message as I deal with highlighted errors   )

0 Likes
0 Replies