cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Lev20a
Journeyman III

Trouble with AMD Adrenalyn software and Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 5700 GAMING OC 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1)

Good afternoon. The question is, I have a Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 5700 GAMING OC 8G (rev. 1.0/1.1) (GV-R57GAMING OC-8GD) graphics card with the latest bios from the manufacturer. My version of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition is currently 20.4.2 release 05/15/2020, downloaded from the official Gigabyte website. When trying to update to any new version of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition, the application opens, freezes and crashes, repeated restarts do not help. This problem was observed both on windows 11 and on windows 10. I have already reinstalled the windows system completely and 10 and 11 versions - this also does not give any results. As a result, I became a hostage to one version of the software and cannot upgrade. What can be done? Could you help sort out the problem?Screenshot_3.png

0 Likes
5 Replies
Skrybe
Challenger

When you say you've reinstalled Windows do you mean you reinstalled Windows and tried to immediately install the latest AMD driver (without installing the gigabyte 20.4.2 first) and the new driver still failed to install? Or did you put the driver from gigabyte on first?

Also, when you say the application freezes and crashes do you mean the installer itself crashes, so it never manages to actually install the new drivers? Or it installs the new drivers but then the Radeon application crashes all the time?

A couple thoughts that might help;

Have you done all the other Windows updates? From memory the Radeon drivers need the dotnet runtimes installed. If you've turned off Windows updates maybe they aren't installed? I'd expect the installer to tell you if that was the problem but maybe not.

Have you tried using the Windows compatibility troubleshooter? If you right click on the installer about the third option down is "Troubleshoot Compatibility". Try clicking that and follow it's suggestions.

Have you tried booting into Windows Safe mode and doing the install from there?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644...

And finally, the card comes with a slight factory overclock, is it possible to downclock it slightly to the default speeds for an RX5700 before trying the install?

0 Likes

When you say you've reinstalled Windows do you mean you reinstalled Windows and tried to immediately install the latest AMD driver (without installing the gigabyte 20.4.2 first) and the new driver still failed to install? Or did you put the driver from gigabyte on first?

First I installed the Gigabyte 20.4.2 driver, after that I tried to update inside the Adrenalyn software using the built-in update system - it did not help.

Tried to completely remove the drivers from the system using the utility from AMD? uninstalled, after which I tried to install the latest version of the software from the AMD website - to no avail. I tried cleaning with the driver using the DDU utility - it didn’t help either.

Also, when you say the application freezes and crashes do you mean the installer itself crashes, so it never manages to actually install the new drivers? Or it installs the new drivers but then the Radeon application crashes all the time?

This statement is correct :"Or it installs the new drivers but then the Radeon application crashes all the time?".

A couple thoughts that might help;

Have you done all the other Windows updates? From memory the Radeon drivers need the dotnet runtimes installed. If you've turned off Windows updates maybe they aren't installed? I'd expect the installer to tell you if that was the problem but maybe not.

I have system auto-update enabled and have the latest system updates installed.

Have you tried using the Windows compatibility troubleshooter? If you right click on the installer about the third option down is "Troubleshoot Compatibility". Try clicking that and follow it's suggestions.

Tried, doesn't help.

Have you tried booting into Windows Safe mode and doing the install from there?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644...

And finally, the card comes with a slight factory overclock, is it possible to downclock it slightly to the default speeds for an RX5700 before trying the instal

I also tried all these options, nothing helped.

0 Likes

1---Make sure your windows install is not corrupted

2--Run this command at a powershell administrator command prompt      DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3--- Run this command at a powershell administrator command prompt    sfc /scannow

4---run display driver uninstaller in safe mode to clean up the amd files and registry

5---Reinstall the driver

Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks for the advice, but I don't understand one thing. You are reading between the lines, or you don’t understand what I wrote - I indicated that there were 2 clean installations - windows 10 and windows 11 and the problem is the same.

0 Likes

Sorry for the delay in reply real world commitments...

Are you still having problems getting the drivers to run without crashing?

I see from the screenshots that you're not using English as the system language. Maybe it's a bug in the drivers related to language. I'd be interested to see if changing the system language to English (at least temporarily) would resolve the crash. If it does then it's definitely a language related bug and AMD might be able to track that down and fix it.

0 Likes