cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Re: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

The software fix on drivers for slot power consumption is only available for reference models, else the option won't appear on the global options.

If you missed, on my MB even if I set a 75W limit for the pci-e slot it sits on, the card won't crash stock or at 1316/2025 (MSI guaranteed OC for the model). Unless the setting is defective, it should clear this card from a slot power starvation (no problem running stuff like furmark).

I remember some reviews on custom boards where only a few phases were draining power from the slot, to avoid the reference model problem.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Re: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER - RX 480 - 17.9.3

The first thing I did is to remove the 2x4gb. The 2x8gb are 2T. Yesterday nothing happened. Today something interessting happened for the very first time EVER on this system. Game crashed without any trace to amd drivers. It was an windows 0x5 (access violation). Shortly after that (~45min) a BSOD follwed on the same game:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Thu 19.10.2017 20:21:22 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101917-12604-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x72FD4)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x109B, 0x40B0094, 0xFFFFFA8011CF3950)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. BAD_POOL_CALLER

On Thu 19.10.2017 20:21:22 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x50564)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x109B, 0x40B0094, 0xFFFFFA8011CF3950)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. BAD_POOL_CALLER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is interessting, because 0x7 indicates it is a read after freed from memory. This could happen when data or code loaded into memory is corrupted (incorrect read or write). Maybe I just increased chance to hit an memory error by removing the other 8gb? The next two things I will do is switche the ram (down to the 2x4gb) and when that does not help (maybe both mailfunctioning) go prime95 test at WE when I have time to do it.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Again. one day no trouble, next start over... crashed. So if it is ram, then all 4. I just wonder then why the system runs without any crashes outside 3d. Going for prime95 tomorrow for a while.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

No errors running prime95 for 10 hours... Going to switch to comparable nvidia GPU and see if that fixes it. If it function without any crashes I think almost certain it is driver issue on AMD's side then or manufacturing error on msi side. Either way, second card with similar type of issues (previous from XFX). If nvidia works without problems (still not sure) its a reason to avoid then amd for a while.

0 Kudos

Have you tried the card on another system?

Adept II
Adept II

If I had the possibility I would have ;(

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

So it looks like only the BSOD dumps are place in minidumps folder. Most of the time I do not have BSOD. Only the game stops rendering and windows resets the display. Those dumps are written in a different folder I found. Now I added them up and that is the picture after my fresh system install:

crash-list.png

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR is nothing special, even though it sounds like that. It was me running memory test in windows taking up to much RAM and windows going to sleep while I was AFK. The hibernate file size was to small for the ~22gb of memory allocate to wake up. This is a known bug in windows 7, which everyone can reproduce on perfectly working system. The corresponding thread:

hibernate-bug-bsod.png

The two BAD_POOL_CALLER dumps are the same crash, one user dump and kernel dump in a different location. (it was after the memory removal, but coincidentally - why? see below)

Notice: it happened 3 seconds after the VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED. The bad call happened from thread owned by the firefox process running at the same time. What happened is basically: Windows did reset the display driver (TDR), which includes releasing and reallocating memory (probably at different location). The BAD_POOL_CALLER then was a chain reaction by another process (firefox) attempting to free memory which was already freed. So it is not another error, but just random side effect of the TDR. RadeonSettings also crash when you try to open them after such a TDR. It does so with an 0x5 exception code (windows kernel) which is simply "access violation". It also attempts to read/write from memory, which windows probably released on recovery. The corresponding thread:

bad_pool_caller.png

The THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER was the 1. test run in 3dmark11 which BSODed. The only one BSOD that is "different". corresponding thread:

3dmark11_thread_stuck.png

So with one exception (THREAD_STUCK), all errors are always the same: TDR. Most of the time recover succeeded.

Note one interessting thing:

All the TDR errors happen always at the same location in atimpag module. The absolute addr is different just because the module is loaded at different offset at different boots. But otherwise the exception points to always the same offset in atimpag module, which is +0xf818.

Example the dump from 26.10.2017 has loaded the modules as follows (bugcheck arg 2):

loaded-modules-1.png

It is true for all the TDR errors, even those first to happen and the one failure to recover. And that includes at least two driver updates since then, when I recall correct. For me it does not look like some random error it would happen at totally random places.

I kind of don't want to increase TDR timeout, because it does not feel like a solution for me. 2 seconds of not responding and artifacts on rendered surface does seem like not just "not enough time" but some error.

* After update to 17.10.3 the offset shifted to (atikmpag+0xF948).

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Check this two issues from different people. From jan and feb this year:

RX 480 give me this error "atikmpag.sys VIDEO_TDR_ERROR"

21 blue screens with atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF3B4) in 5 days since NEW build. WTH?

Both had the issue happen always at the same location, with offset +0xF3B4 . This does not seem like random "power supply" or "broken ram" issue. Also it does not have anything to do with OS, as it both happens on w10 and w7, and at the same offset cross plattform, so common block of code for multiple platforms in the driver.

I assume that is exact the same issue I have and many others, just that after few month and some changes on the driver, the offset shifted a bit and now is +0xF818.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Does somebody know why MSI stopped delivering the MSI RX480 Gaming 8G since a while now? I know the mining thing happening, but should that not rather drive them to produce new charge? And its a while now. Or is there something with this model going on maybe?

0 Kudos

The RX580 has replaced the previous RX480 GPU, so they have the RX580 Gaming X now under a similar PCB/Cooler. The supply of older RX480 GPUs from AMD should be scarce by now, if not un-existent.