Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

enragedn3wb
Adept II

This is unacceptable...

Come on AMD...

When planning my latest upgrade I finally took the leap & was planning to go with a completely AMD build this time with Intel just plain admitting defeat until next year & Nvidia having their own set of problems with their GPUs.

I already got myself a new Ryzen that I'm reasonably happy with, but when literally HALF of just the KNOWN issues with your drivers are black screens & system hangs...

How the hell am I supposed to justify throwing money at an AMD GPU, knowing full well it'll destabilize my entire system????????

This is just plain unacceptable.

7 Replies

It will be helpful to know your computer specs and Make & Model of your GPU card installed.

Besides you have no way of knowing if those KNOWN issues will affect your computer or not until you try it.

Many KNOWN ISSUES affect only a small minority of Users and not everyone.

0 Likes

I guess I should have been more clear.

I plan to buy a new AMD GPU, but have not bought it yet because I can't justify throwing money at one knowing it will VERY likely cause my system to be unstable. Just look around online at the hundreds if not thousands of people having these issues which have been "known" for months now & yet still not fixed. I know my luck all too well, & I guarantee if I buy one I'll have the same issues.

AMD has been kicking *** in the CPU game lately. It's about time they bring their GPU/Drivers up to par...

0 Likes

Truthfully I don't blame you. AMD latest Drivers seems to be buggy with the RX 56xx and RX57xx GPU cards.

The RX 5xx seems to be fairly stable but older GPU cards.

Or if you can be patient you can wait for the next generation NAVI 2 GPU cards coming out sometime this year:

Will AMD release new GPU?
Building on that new baseline, AMD will release new RDNA 2 graphics cards in 2020. ... During a financial year 2019 earnings call, Su again confirmed that AMD would launch a new-generation of RDNA 2 GPUs in 2020, but it was what she said about existing Navi graphics cards which was most intriguing.Jan 29, 2020
But since these will be next generation GPU cards, you can imagine that likely the AMD drivers will be buggy at first once it is released to the public in general use.
I  also do the same thing you do when researching new hardware before I purchase. I tend to look at websites and Customer's bad reviews or Forums to see if I notice anything that is common.
The good reviews are not very helpful most of the time.
AMD makes very good hardware. The problem is mainly with the driver support.
mickeekung
Challenger

I'm using 5600xt and have black screen and system hang also

0 Likes

also me i have 5700 with blackscreen and another issues

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sat 4/4/2020 6:42:19 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040420-16437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x0000000000000003)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFD683870E1010, 0xFFFFF80575AF0818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sat 4/4/2020 6:42:19 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFD683870E1010, 0xFFFFF80575AF0818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

On Sat 4/4/2020 6:22:41 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040420-13359-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF8008B7309F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF8886838F7010, 0xFFFFF8008B7309F0, 0x0, 0xD)
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0353575.inf_amd64_8e19095ae833d985\B353558\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Wed 3/25/2020 9:53:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032520-16390-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFCE8FC5C6B010, 0xFFFFF8034FB90818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)

You have opened several AMD threads here currently and in the past. This thread doesn't concern troubleshooting your issue with your GPU card.

The OP is talking in general terms about the many problems the AMD drivers and newer GPUs are having.

But just to help you try and fix your problem, your Microsoft BSOD error code 0x00000003 is called "INVALID_AFFINITY_SET"

Follow this Tech Website various and detailed Troubleshooting steps to resolve that specific BSOD error: https://www.howto-connect.com/fix-invalid_affinity_set-bsod-windows-10/ 

If none helps then reply to the current AMD Thread you have open at the moment.

0 Likes