cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hitbm47
Forerunner

theHunter - Call of the Wild, Radeon Chill Screen Tearing

Hi dipak, I hope you do not mind me tagging you.

Here are my specs,

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (up to date)

16GB (8x2) HyperX Fury DDR3 1866Mhz RAM

AMD FX 8350 stock clocks

MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G (19.7.1)

MSI 990FXA Motherboard (latest BIOS)

theHunter: Call of the Wild defaults to Ultra 1080p settings on my config.

I have experienced this scenario in previous drivers as well. The scenario is, that Radeon Chill does not properly exclude/override Radeon Frame Rate Target Control even when FRTC is disabled Globally and Profile specific, and causes screen tearing even with FreeSync enabled. I will attach a screenshot of my best scenario which seems to eliminate screen tearing for the most part, but requires Chill to be disabled and only FRTC to be used instead.

Screen tearing happens when only using Chill, or using Chill in conjuction with FRTC, thus having the following settings enabled:

FreeSync: AMD Optimized

Enhanced Sync: Enabled

Anti-lag: Disabled

FRTC: 37FPS

Chill Min: 37FPS

Chill Max 37FPS

Screen Tearing can then be partially eliminated by sliding Chill Min = Chill Max = 50FPS  in the in-game Radeon overlay, but FPS is still locked at 37FPS due to FRTC which is not overridden by Chill for some reason.

My best playable scenario at the moment, which works because my AOC supports Low Framerate Compensation with range 35Hz-75Hz, and eliminating Screen Tearing thus far is:

FreeSync: AMD Optimized

Enhanced Sync: Enabled

Anti-lag: Enabled

FRTC: 30FPS

Chill: Disabled

I must also mention, which I think can also be a cause to Chill problems with Radeon Cards in this game, is that the game is GPU bound (I get between 33-55FPS in this game, depending on the scene with max GPU Utilization) and looking at the sky, which happens a lot due to high mountains, causes FPS to jump to 50-60FPS but just looking a little bit downwards with tree shadows etc. causes FPS to drop to 38-40FPS which causes a lot of stuttering and screen tearing in the described problematic scenario and I guess causes GPU clock speeds to fluctuate too much.

Hope you do not have trouble recreating this issue, but I have noticed Radeon Chill also not overriding FRTC in Half-Life 2.

Kind regards

Jacques van Wyk

0 Likes
4 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi Jacques,

Thank you for reporting this. Maybe our support forum is better place to report this Radeon Chill issue. Anyway, I'm adding amdmatt from our technical support team who may help you in this regard.

Hi amdmatt‌, any suggestion on this?

Thanks.

Thank you Dipak

0 Likes

Hi amdmatt

Were you able to have a look into this Radeon Chill issue yet?

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Hi dipak I think this may be affecting older games as well, which are not officially supported by Radeon Chill, such as Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and may be a cause of the problem I described in my other post.

The problem with the hitman games is that they named both the executables of Hitman 2 (2018/2019) game, and of Hitman 2: Silent Assasin (2002) game, "hitman2.exe", which might cause problems in profile specific settings in Radeon Settings.

And as I have described in this post, Radeon Settings do not always seem to properly override profile specific settings.

0 Likes