cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lfx64
Adept II

The Radeon Software still doesn't handle fans properly.

This was supposed to be resolved months ago when the zero RPM fan wasn't available during custom fan curves unless you messed around with the ini. This is still the case, only for me now it's the opposite and I don't want it. I've set a custom fan curve and I've noticed that when I cold-boot, the profile isn't applying properly and my fan is at 0rpm (the same is reported in HWInfo64) - it kicks into life just fine when playing games just like the default zero RPM profile so the card doesn't cook, but I want my baseline fan speed!

My overclock is applied all of the time (which is completely stable btw and has been for ages) but my baseline fan RPM don't initiate unless I load the profile and apply it again - this should be applying successfully on start-up! Now a lot of people want zero RPM fans and admittedly months ago I'd of liked the same when using a custom fan curve. However these days I don't want it because I like to have the idle temps even lower. My aggressive fan curve limits heat output and means my 3700X shaves off a few degrees at peak temps.

In the picture provided the RPM is at 772 RPM but usually it says 0 RPM after booting up the PC. Since booting today I've already loaded the profile, hence the fans are abiding by the custom fan profile and I couldn't nab a screenshot of it showing 0.

AMD you need to fix this fan problem. It seems to me that there's been a bunch of fan oriented issues for ages now. You need to focus on allowing Zero RPM in custom fan curves -- but genuinely and not by this unintentional glitch -- and please fix profiles not applying properly at start-up!

Edit: Old drivers, DDU + safemode, new drivers, etc, confirmed that AMD have not fixed the issue and the only time a minimum fan speed setting is observed (18%) is when the system boots from a solid cold boot cycle or when restart is selected from the menu (which cycles a cold boot). At any time the system wakes from sleep, hibernation, or that weird off-but-not-truly-off mode when selecting Shutdown from the Windows menu, the minimum 18% fan speed is never adhered to (even after gaming and the GPU returns to a low temperature). The only way to get around this is: never put your computer to sleep and never use Shutdown from the Windows start menu, instead you must press Shift + Restart and then click Turn Off My Computer - only then will a cold boot initiate upon the next start-up and the custom fan profile is properly applied. You must also sacrifice sleep mode. OR you can do the annoying thing and have to open the Radeon software and apply the custom profile you made every single time you wake your system from sleep mode or are booting from a soft state. Bad AMD! Naughty AMD!

Radeon Broken Software.png

1 Solution
lfx64
Adept II

Okay, to end this hijacked thread... TL;DR? AMD fan profiles do not work properly and have not been fixed for ages. These profiles either do not adhere to Zero RPM settings or the minimum 18% baseline for custom fan curves. The newest Radeon driver software (20.7.1) that claims to fix these issues, DOES NOT.

Fix your drivers. End of.

Edit: Confirmed. A cold boot, whether using older drivers or these new ones = the fan profile applies correctly and the minimum 18% fan speed is adhered to. HOWEVER, waking from SLEEP mode or starting up from Windows' fake shut down state (aka not pressing Shift + Restart + Turn Off My Computer prior to booting later on) = fans are at 0% until gaming, ignoring the baseline RPM of 18% on the desktop but adhering to the upper markers on the custom fan curve - when the GPU cools down, it goes back to ignoring the minimum 18% baseline and goes into Zero RPM mode - this could be a conflict with GPU BIOS settings. Basically, Radeon Software fails to apply the correct fan speed and ignores the 18% minimum fan speed on all PC start-up states apart from a total cold boot. It has not been fixed in the recent driver update. Unacceptable.

View solution in original post

46 Replies

You did start the topic.

RE: "Significantly" is subjective

Look at the data above regarding Intel CPU performance at 1080p. There is nothing subjective about >20% performance advantage.

You are the only person being rude, and bickering.

You are not a Forum Moderator.

If you have a complaint about myself or kingfish being rudebeing rude then "Report Abuse".

You're baiting by continuing. Move on.

0 Likes
lfx64
Adept II

Okay, to end this hijacked thread... TL;DR? AMD fan profiles do not work properly and have not been fixed for ages. These profiles either do not adhere to Zero RPM settings or the minimum 18% baseline for custom fan curves. The newest Radeon driver software (20.7.1) that claims to fix these issues, DOES NOT.

Fix your drivers. End of.

Edit: Confirmed. A cold boot, whether using older drivers or these new ones = the fan profile applies correctly and the minimum 18% fan speed is adhered to. HOWEVER, waking from SLEEP mode or starting up from Windows' fake shut down state (aka not pressing Shift + Restart + Turn Off My Computer prior to booting later on) = fans are at 0% until gaming, ignoring the baseline RPM of 18% on the desktop but adhering to the upper markers on the custom fan curve - when the GPU cools down, it goes back to ignoring the minimum 18% baseline and goes into Zero RPM mode - this could be a conflict with GPU BIOS settings. Basically, Radeon Software fails to apply the correct fan speed and ignores the 18% minimum fan speed on all PC start-up states apart from a total cold boot. It has not been fixed in the recent driver update. Unacceptable.

Hi,

Im using a AMD Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC 8G
I'm having this problem also for over a year now. I had this problem over 10 times.
Today i was playing warzone and all of a sudden my fps dropped.
Turns out that the fan was spinning around 560 rpm and my gpu was around 80 degrees celcius.
i checked the amd adrenaline software and yeah 0 rpm was on! 
I never turn this switch on. Why does the software do that? Can you fix this AMD? 

Its frustrating because all topics point out that you just need to turn off the 0 rpm switch.
(why do you even have this function AMD:@!)
But turning off the switch doesnt work immediately. i can adjust the fan in the adrenaline software but nothing happens.
so i need to wait for hours for the pc to cooldown.
i also figured out that disconnect the GPU from the motherboard and wait for 30-60 minutes sometimes fixes the issue.
Normally im so angry at my GPU i turn the pc off and try it again the other day.
When i turn on the PC the next day the fan and gpu is functioning normal again.

Can you help me please?
My PS and XBOX mates are making fun of us PC n00bs.

Kind regards Snelle!

Naamloos.pngNaamloos2.png

0 Likes
leomengo07
Journeyman III

Any luck partner? I think I'm trying to do the inverse play of yours. I want the gpu using my custom fan profiles while gaming, and when idle I want it to stop the fans. But the Zero RPM Button of the Manual mode in the AMD Driver is abscent. Any luck someone would help me?

0 Likes

I wanted the same as you initially but then I wanted a constant baseline fan speed. Either way, Radeon Software refuses to apply profiles correctly (usually after waking from sleep or soft boot). I think you can edit the ini of the custom profile you created and change one of the lines by setting it to 0. I did do this myself before and it worked but I can't remember how to do it. There was a reddit post somewhere that has instructions on how to do it but do so at your own risk (try /r/AMD). Rather astonishingly, that post was quite a time ago now and AMD haven't fixed that either.

And this: the most recent AMD software survey: Vote for Radeon Software Ideas - Feb 2020 - unsurprisingly better fan control is listed as the top voted. This to me speaks volumes. I think AMD's Radeon software doesn't take into consideration the card bios, so while it works applying profiles after an initial cold boot, it doesn't apply anything when waking from sleep (or soft boot) and as a result the card bios chip uses the default profile it has stored and overrules AMDs settings. Fortunately overclocks are adhered to just fine and upper fan speeds are... it just seems the minimum speed is ignored (or for you, zero RPM mode).

0 Likes
hypnotic
Adept I

If it helps at all, I'll add myself to the list of those who are pissed off because are screwed by AMD ( and I'm in this boat with the minimum 18% with a personal fan curve ) - Rx 5700 Xt Red Devil
I had full control with my old Rx 580 nitro+ .

0 Likes