cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

whk
Adept II

The last amdgpu driver does not support ray tracing?

I use Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and download the official driver from support page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-22-10-2 using "amdgpu-install_22.10.2.50102-1_all.deb" package, but can not run "Quake II RTX", says "No raytracing capable GPU found". I have installed vulkan-sdk from lunar website. Others ray tracing demo does not start with same problem: https://github.com/GPSnoopy/RayTracingInVulkan/issues/58

The problem is of the Distribution, Operating System, Kernel or the AMD driver?

0 Likes
9 Replies

Is there an app similar to GPU-Z that works in Linux that will show whether Ray Tracing is enabled by the AMD Driver?

If Ray Tracing is enabled then the problem is most likely with that specific game.  I would open a Support Ticket or open a thread at the developer's forum and ask them if the game supports Linux Ray Tracing drivers.

0 Likes

If you use the Vulkan SDK or have the vulkan-tools Ubuntu package, you should be able to use vulkaninfo to query extension support:

$ vulkaninfo | grep ray_tracing_pipeline
VK_KHR_ray_tracing_pipeline : extension revision 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

ray tracing is a software thing from the 60's and 70's largely. like ray cast shadows. its how all the 3d movie software works and animations. its called RENDERING. you can render your games in realtime on AMD since like playstation3 in very high toy story 4 looking quality in thousands of FPS and like trillions of resolution.

Well you see the RTX chip in certain new cards just means the tricky lighting parts which slow things down alot can go about 10% faster if you have the RTX chip than not (think of it as duct taping a calculator to your GPU for more maths to calculate angles of light 10% faster?)

but since its all just software.. you can use unreal engine 3.0 or 5.0 or unity or cryengine for voxel based ray tracing that works fine with directx11 and non rtx.. i ray trace the heck out of everything with my snapdragon chip mobile phones which have AMD adreno GPU rx630 (radeon mobile)  LG V60. So uhh you can type in enhancedsuperprofullTRUERTX10+NEXT and game away on anything AMD ever with the word radeon written on the box.. and its great.

but if you feel that relying on the game engine software for ray tracing is restrictive or limiting.. use the vulkan ray tracer.. its more "works with everything"  those documentation and notes about the VK_KHR_RT is for how to code it into your own OS or game engine which doesnt take long.. but needs lots of tweaking performance/vs quality for your custom usecase. Generally microsoft or vulkan or somebody did a better job than you ever would so use theirs even with default settings instead.. just make a registry key expandable string VXR or DXR or type it out fully DIRECTXRAYTRACING or something.  maybe use dualrelfectionslayers and SSSR or whatever to make it pretty. go enhancedsuperprofullvectortruelightpathways10+next maybe?

its way better than **bleep**ty ray ancient 60's and 70's AMD ray tracing ray casting or other ray methods type them in and test it out if you dont believe me. nvidia still cant really do proper true reality simulations or even properly ray trace 10% faster rtx chip or not. but its literally all just software zero hardware requirements.. the RTX just speeds it up by 10%.. also i dont normally need to use DLSS or other lame stuff just ray trace away get about 100fps? ryzen 5700G and 5700XT

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/prpl1rbp1o8h1/COMPUTERSYSTEMGLOBALDIRECTKERNELMODE

0 Likes

Ray tracing is hardware related. If it was only software than all GPU cards will be able to use that feature with a driver.

Plus the Driver is the one that enables Ray Tracing on the GPU card.

0 Likes

Thanks for your generic advertising comment, but it has nothing to do with the question in the main thread. Regards.

0 Likes
dpospisi
Adept II

Note that there is still no support for Ubuntu 22.04. Only 18.04 and 20.04.

Did you run the installer after installing that package?

I am still unable to install the drivers on 22.04.

Common AMD, this is getting ridiculous.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

what makes you think the 60's and 70's ray tracing software and apps like blender and unreal engine and other things stopped existing? rtx is a chip that improves speed of ray tracing by about 10% .. every hardware device capable of running software and outputting to display ray traces you just need to use the right display renderer and output methods.

its analog tech from analog tv's that use lighting. you see you cant have an analog tv work without light. 

all those animated news and lives sports events animated logos and colourful shiny words saying "instant replay" or "superbowl2000" or whatever.. those are all ray traced.. 

you'll have to be more specific.. which ray tracing function and method are you using?

were you trying for ray casting from the 1970's car commecial where instead of ray tracing rendering the entire world with light and often disabling shadows as they needed twice the perfomance they simply did ray cast shadows based on what the camera could see right in front of it based on a specific angle in a tiny wedge of the world.

are you referring to the traced rays? or fulltracedlightpathways? Did you possibly forget to enable your skinscache or your shadowscache? If you've an AMD computer that may work and perform much faster and better if the caches are done via the CPU instead of the GPU as it seems to for me.

which 3d software are you using? was it not working in houdini or maya or blender? or was it not working in unity or unreal or other apps? please explain in more detail.. its not a button you just click the application or game must be designed when creating it to have the light sources be set as the correct type for ray tracing lighting omnidirectional or direct or other lighting types exist. if the game dev stupidly grouped all the lighting in the software and set them to some lame ancient non ray traced 50's version or whatever then yeah what can you do. did you enable RTGI ray traced global illumination? and ray traced reflections? are you using VULKAN VXR? maybe try enabling DXR for directxraytracing with directx12 too.. or are you using the cryengine based games or editor and are using their custom ray settings/methods. you see unreal engine and other game software all use the simple hardware ray tracing commands for AMD devices which are for everybody and anybody to use to put into an OS or game editor/engine or 3d software and can customize the settings for quality/performance tradeoffs they believe suit their needs best. so they're all often reinventing the wheel. also nvidia keeps trying to disable it pretending without the 10% go faster chip it wont ever work when its a software feature thats always worked for 50 years. so if its vulkan you could if you wanted to code your own OS or whatever use the VK_KHR_RT function and spend maybe a day reading up on its uses and parameters and requirements and tweak and adjust it manually for your OWN IN HOUSE RAY TRACING METHODS to access and use the windows 10 directx12 hardware features. or the directx11 ones.. you can even do it on directx9 but it looks less shiny because latency and much lower resolutions as older hardware lower specs.. SD TV is 300x200? laserdisc and 1980's tvbroadcasts in japan were 1100p!! 

but yeah you're probably better off using the vulkan one on linux VXR and then type RTXTRUE or whatever in a config.ini file or something and apply it to the OS and specify the renderer to use. The pixar hydra renderer and its plugins for blender or unreal are something interesting to consider maybe? are you using dualreflections? are you  having issues with HYBRIDraytracing? DUALHYBRIDMAXFULLTRUEREFLECTIONS is pretty nice, theres also raytraced transparency. I like the FULLlightpathways. heres my config.ini that works with android pretty well any AMD mobile phone the last decade or so should get you ray tracing in just a few octillions of render resolution probably far more resolution possible but it gets way too small on the tiny screen.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7nk7nkrw1autwrv/CONFIG.INI/file

0 Likes
whk
Adept II

Today, in 2023, the official amd drivers still do not support raytracing for rx 6800 xt or higher graphics cards.

0 Likes
kropptyler
Adept I

I was having a similar problem with Mesa 23.1.x, which I'm using because I don't run Ubuntu or Red Hat.

Support was already enabled by default on the main branch, so I tried Mesa 23.2.0-rc3, and ray tracing worked. Mesa 23.2 doesn't seem to be released though.

Hope this helps as an alternative for some.

0 Likes