cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gianlulux
Adept I

The amd drivers are all broken. Hardware acceleration doesn't work!!!

Hello,

I'm contacting you due to a big issue that has been driving me crazy for months now. First of all, here's my configuration:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
AMD 6700 XT Founder
MSI B550M Mortar WIFI
Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 750
Corsair 3200 MHz 2x8 GB
Samsung MZ-V7S500 970 EVO Plus
LG 27GL850-B

I bought your graphics card back in March. Since around April I began encountering random black screens (for example while browsing, but not in-game). The PC would stay on all the time, monitor too.
In order to get the video signal to come back, reconnecting the DisplayPort cable sufficed most of the times. However, sometimes I ended up with a driver timeout error once I resumed (with Adrenalin settings restored).

The problem became far more frequent in the later months, leading me to suspect I had something broken. Then I literally spent months taking my computer apart, including swapping & stress testing all components (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc).
Basically, I was clueless as to what the problem could be, until I realized something: the issue mainly manifests itself with the browser (both Brave and Chrome), along with videos on YouTube randomly stuttering after a while.
I searched for reports on the Internet and, sure enough, many people reported the weird behavior including a potential workaround: disabling hardware acceleration.

Following the suggested workaround indeed made the problem vanish, like magic. I have no problems in the browser or in other software like OBS Studio.
At that point I decided to investigate deeper; I downloaded and reproduced sample 4K 60 FPS videos using VLC media player.
With certain codecs (HEVC/H.265 and VP9), stuttering can be ALWAYS reproduced. Further testing revealed that apparently only videos with resolutions higher than 1080p are affected.

Again, disabling hardware acceleration seems to solve the problem. I assumed it was a driver problem and confirmed by removing the latest drivers you released and installing at least 3-5 versions of earlier drivers. I used your cleanup software but also Display Driver Uninstaller, just in case (always clean installations).
No luck installing your drivers in the "driver only" mode either.

The strange behavior occurs with all drivers except perhaps only one: 21.10.2. However, this driver does not allow me to play Spiderman Remastered as it's too old.
Another thing I tried, once the drivers were removed, was to let Windows Update install its own. Result? Videos on VLC are stutter-free and browsers are OK!
So, this proves (at least to me) 100% that the problem is with your drivers.

Now, after so much testing and wasted time, please tell me if it is normal to encounter a serious issue like this with such a piece of hardware? We're talking about €600, I can't even play a video without stuttering!!!
You'll have to excuse me, but the experience has been excruciating for the past 6 months... so many people report the same problems with virtually all drivers and I honestly don't know what to do anymore.
Please consider my request, otherwise I will be forced to move away from AMD after this trauma.

I WILL SEND VIDEOS AND RELATED FILES IF NECESSARY.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to a proper response.

Have a nice day

12 Replies

From reading about Hardware Acceleration it is a Windows issue.

Found this from a 2018 DriverEasy article about Hardware Acceleration:

What is hardware acceleration?

Hardware acceleration refers to tasks being offloaded from the CPU to other more appropriate devices/hardware. These devices are called hardware accelerators. In most cases, the hardware accelerator is graphics card or sound card.

If you have capable devices and correct drivers, you can use hardware acceleration on PC. Hardware acceleration is enabled by default for Windows, and you can manually disable it in apps. Common apps that use hardware acceleration include browsers like Chrome and Firefox, video editing/rendering programs, and video games. With hardware acceleration, graphics cards can present crystal clear high-definition images and videos; sound cards can allow high-quality playback and recording of sound.

On the other hand, hardware acceleration isn’t always helpful. Some applications that use hardware acceleration may run much less stably. So, for example, if you have a black screen issue when playing a video in Chrome, you’d better manually disable hardware acceleration in the browser.

In short, you can enable hardware acceleration wherever you can, and disable it in the apps where you have bugs/stability issues.

So I guess if Windows Hardware Acceleration isn't compatible or has a issues with the Graphic driver might cause problems. But it seems to be mainly a Microsoft Windows issue rather than a AMD driver issue unless there is some sort of conflict or incompatibilities.

So I guess I would put in a bug report with both Microsoft and AMD just to see what they suggest to do.

I personally don't have an issue with Hardware Acceleration using my Nvidia GPU since I mainly us FireFox as my browser nor have running YouTube videos.

0 Likes

I took out the amd drivers and used the ones windows installs, and everything works perfectly. The problem is definitely not windows.

GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Have you tried 22.10.2? I've seen a lot of people say their problems have been fixed with these new drivers. Also, its finally a signed WHQL driver as well. I would tell you to DDU and then try out the new drivers. You can still send bug reports to AMD through the Adrenaline software, too.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes

I used these newly released drivers. Maybe the black screen problem doesn't do it anymore (it does to me even with the 22.5.1 version you all recommend...), however the stutters with the video codecs I described, are always there (with hw on).

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Complaining here will only get you a reply from fellow users.  Use the bug reporting tool in adrenaline to send directly to AMD.

0 Likes

Yes of course. Like they take into consideration what I report. I wrote 2 emails to support 3 days ago. No response. This is the first and utmost time I buy AMD gpu. In the same pc I was with a measly 1060 3 gb and had no such problems. I repeat, I have been on it for 6-7 months, patience has a limit. I can't even watch an iphone video on the pc, which goes jerky. 600 euro gpu, it is not normal.

zahkendov
Journeyman III

Are you still having problems? Hardware acceleration does not work properly for me either. I have a 7800XT and it's really bugging me. I've tried everything. Have you managed to solve the issue?

Hi try this enable the gpu scaling in driver this solve my problem chrome not flickering while Hardware acceleration on (or steam) .

0 Likes

Is GPU scaling also available for the Radeon 780m iGPU?

0 Likes

I want a precise solution. Cant even play local videos. God, I regret buying amd now.

0 Likes
esel
Adept I

So this was already detected in 2022? What the f***!!

Have a look at this post here: Radeon 780M Video Codec causes device remove/reset... - AMD Community The issue is still there.

0 Likes
farske
Adept II

I've disbaled in:

Chrome,
Firefox,
Edge,
Discord,
Bnet launcher,
Steam

So far.

It certainly helps a little. Still have issues.

What are AMD doing?

0 Likes