cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Waseem
Adept I

Text Select pointer goes to being white colored when hovering over black text

Hello, a couple of days ago, windows updates automatically installed a new AMD display driver on my laptop. Since then, the "Select Text" mouse pointer (which is the pointer that shows up when you hover over text) has been showing up as being white colored even when hovering over black text with a white background, which makes it very hard to tell where the mouse pointer is located at. However, if I move the mouse pointer a bit (while hovering over black text) and also just do a left click, the Text Select pointer goes back to being black colored.

Notes:

• This is on Windows 11.
  • I clean installed Windows 11 and the issue still persists.
  • Driver version causing the issue: 31.0.12016.9
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with integrated graphics
  • RAM: 8GB
45 Replies
radium
Adept I

This happens to me as well. There is a bug report on Chromium project for this as well here. Please if you are a developer at AMD look into this, it seems to occur on AMD GPUs in Chromium. It includes a video demonstrating the exact issue. It seems to happen within Text input fields when you open a new tab. May also be related to dual monitors. In Google Docs it takes a very long time for the cursor to change to the correct color.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1366924

In Windows Settings - Mouse have you tried to change the color of the Mouse pointer to a different color to see if the same thing occurs?

Screenshot 2022-11-22 150337.png

0 Likes

Yes I have, and if I do that, the issue is gone. The issue seems to be with only the default text select pointer.

0 Likes
radium
Adept I

Yes we have, it occurs when the default cursor is set. That is in the bug report on chromium.org.

"Also, another note, this only happens when the system default cursors are enabled in Windows 11. The other cursor themes do not exhibit the issue."

newby
Adept I

This sounds like another MPO related issue.

create the following reg key and reboot.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

to disable multi plane overlay.

Not an expert and I'm sure someone will correct me but I believe amd doesn't have a dedicated hardware cursor plane and gets its properties from the overlay plane it is attached to. If a program doesn't take this into account (and mpo is in use) The DWM messes up the cursor display.

This is a Quasi-expert solution. At first, I was afraid to use this method until one Lenove senior supporter ask me to do so. It is a legendary solution. I have also looked into this by referring to Nvidia's official solution for a similar bug.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157

0 Likes

Can you please lay out the steps on how to create a new reg key?

0 Likes

If you follow GongTian's nvidia link above you can download a reg file to do it for you.

0 Likes
GongTian
Adept I

Definitely, I am having the same problem. Thank you for opening this issue, and doing some basic research.

I have also working on this problem for nearly two weeks.

I greatly agree with your opinion that it is a hardware-related problem, because of the following reasons.

1. My colleagues using the same AMD R7-5800H CPU with GPU inside, win 11 OS, and Edge/ chrome also meet the same problem. The others who have the same setting but an Intel i5-12500H do not.

2. Disable the hardware acceleration, the problem does not show again.

3. When using the AMD CPU with a Nivda RTX2080 GPU, everything is right.

4. I have repaired and cleanly start Win 11 without non-essential service, reinstalled Edge or Chrome, and reset settings to default, but the problem keeps still.

5. When recording the problem with a screen recording software(e.g. Faston capture, OBS studio), the recorded video is alright and the problem can not be seen in the video. But at the same time recording with a camera shooting the screen, the problem is obvious.

It is a pity. I have sent an e-mail to AMD Global support center reporting this problem, but their Chinese colleges refused to look into this bug, as I use an OEM laptop manufactured by Lenovo. I have also contacted Lenovo support, but they can not fix this bug either.

This problem frustrates me.

0 Likes
Waseem
Adept I

Post update: I have clean installed Windows 10, and windows updates didn't install the new driver for my laptop, so the issue is gone for me right now.

0 Likes

Wise choice, but rolling back to Win 10 is at high cost for me, due to so many programs have been installed.

Post Update 2: I switched to & clean installed windows 11 and the issue still persists.

0 Likes

Thanks for your info. AMD supprot ask me to do so, but I resfuse because it is highly cost.

AMD_cire
Challenger

happen to me too on this new driver 22.11.1.

well at least the workaround use black cursor.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G

Use Beam-R series black cursors is a valid solution. Hope this bug does not affect other applications.

0 Likes
radium
Adept I

Hopping back in here to confirm the white (invisible) cursor issue on text areas and input boxes is still occurring with default cursor set and Chromium (Chrome) set to default D3D11 ANGLE graphics backend on latest windows 11 updates, chromium and the latest AMD drivers.

Windows 22H2 22621.900 / Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0
108.0.5359.72 (Official Build) (64-bit)
AMD GPU driver 22.11.2
AMD Chipset 4.11.15.342
ASUS X570 Plus (no wifi) BIOS v4408 2022/11/25

Updated Chromium bug report as well, lets get a team effort going on here

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1366924

ivasenko
Journeyman III

I can confirm this issue on my Win11 and RX6750 XT. Last driver that didn't have this problem was 22.5.1, all consequent drivers have this issue. As a workaround without disabling MPO one can select in additional mouse settings -> Pointers -> Text Select -> beam_r.cur, but this cursor is static comparing to default one i.e., it doesn't invert its' pixels when moving over text/graphic elements. I can also see this "disappearance" behavior in Word 2013, so it's not only Chromium engine related issue.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I have the same here since I updated to WHQL 22.11.1

I have the following symptoms:

- Screen Snip or Snipping Tool will reveal strange artifacts
- Pasting content from Screen Snip or Snipping Tool will often fail and report broken image
- White Text Selection Pointer Issue, mainly in Chromium (Opera, Chrome or Edge)
- When scrolling strange rectangular artifacts can occur in Chromium (Opera, Chrome or Edge)

Just did the MPO disable to check it out.

The older WHQL did not had these symptoms but I would like to stay on these WHQL as they improved my Davinci Resolve experience by a good margin.

And ASUS just forced me to update as older drivers are now not compliant with Armoury Crate

The Englishman
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Just tried the disable MPO, no luck.

My problems remain.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Restarting the PC is an essential step, have you done?

0 Likes

Sure

Rebooting and asking others to reboot is an IT thing.

johnnyenglish_0-1671284630832.png

Sincerely, Englishman AKA the Local IT

The Englishman
0 Likes
Waseem
Adept I

Post update: I believe the chromium team has fixed this issue with the recent chromium releases, as I have not experienced this issue in a while in both Edge and Chrome, so I think it is fixed. The driver didn't update, the driver version is still the same, so the issue is not caused by the driver. I also didn't change the mouse pointer, I still have the default mouse pointer.
Edit: The issue re-appeared again.

0 Likes

can you share the Version of chrome and edge ? I am also having this problem in MS word, could you provide more info?

Actually the issue re-appeared just before 5 minutes, so it wasn't actually fixed.

Anyways, here is the version of chrome & edge currently:

• Chrome: 108.0.5359.125 (64-bit)
  • Edge: 108.0.1462.54 (64-bit)

The browsers are currently up-to-date.

Actually,I am using the same version of software.  This issue still exist.

Thanks, I also just tested and it's still occurring on the latest 108.0.5359.125 (Official Build) (64-bit) of Chrome for me

0 Likes
levin
Adept II

i have the same issue, clean win11 install, microsoft edge

Seitmola
0 Likes
radium
Adept I

Just an update here, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1366924 we've been having some progress on this bug between chrome and amd GPUs. The issue does not occur when chrome is started with --disable-direct-composition.

In update 33, the author states "My hunch is that this is an issue with alpha blending between the cursor and the Chrome window when its promoted as an overlay (MPO). Normally this would be the handled by the display controller, but maybe something's broken there e.g. blending between cursor and plane 0 (DWM) is fine but blending between cursor and plane 1 (Chrome window overlay) doesn't work?"

There is still no fix in either Chrome or AMD GPU drivers.

0 Likes

There are heaps of Reddit posts and there's even an article about how AMD isn't fixing their MPO issues! Disabling MPOs fixes the text select cursor bug and fixes all the driver timeouts/black screens I've been getting with my RX 6600 with AMD Software 22.11.2. It doesn't fix text in the Start Menu not rendering at times. Here's hoping AMD will fix this soon. 

0 Likes
Lorardo
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. 
Rog G14 2022.
AMD Ryzen 9 6900hs
AMD Radeon RX 6700s
Following the instruction of @GongTian i solved, for now, i hope for ever.

Go to https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157 , download the mpo_disable.reg.

Then run it, and restart pc.

0 Likes

Does it work for AMD GPU?

And what does it provide?  "OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005 - this one?

I've tried manually and will check if it helps...

0 Likes
Captain_Rick
Adept I

Seems working!

So not sure about file in link but manually adding in regedit this line + reboot:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]

"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

Helped me. BTW I use 6900hx + 6600M (not Nvidia).

0 Likes
kokoa369
Journeyman III

I have the same problem... and its since a few days ago. Seem like everyone here had this problem and posts about it are from 1 year, but developers still have not gave a solution

0 Likes
levin
Adept II

....very disappointing, but can be from windows or browser too idk, but i have the problem in windows 11 notepad too now

can someone with nvidia to confirm if they have some problem too?

Seitmola
0 Likes
radium
Adept I

Any update from AMD on this? It's still happening in the latest Google Chrome and latest AMD GPU driver on my 6750 XT   https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1366924

0 Likes

@radium  Can you please try with any older chromium version + latest AMD GPU driver?

Might help isolate the issue.

0 Likes

If you review the link above I have tested it on dozens of older chromium/chrome versions and they all have had the issue. It appears to be related to the way AMD's drivers/hardware handles Windows MPO (Multi-Plane Overlay), because when that is disabled the issue does not occur. This has been occurring for years... longest-lived bug ever Lol, feels that way anyway

0 Likes