cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

chaosroid
Adept I

Test drive unlimited 2 crashes at launch.

I'm trying to start TDU2 but it crashes right away after launch, i tested in my laptop that has integrated Intel graphics it launches normally there. What may be the problem?

GPU: Asus Tuf Gaming x3 Rx 5700

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600 Stock speeds.

Ram: 16 Gb @ 3000 MHz (2x8 Gb Sticks)

Running Windows 10 1909.

1 Solution
chaosroid
Adept I

Better Workaround found, using this Direct X to Vulkan Wrapper: Releases · doitsujin/dxvk · GitHub .

The Game plays pretty good and without graphical artifacts!.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

The game is not available on Steam anymore so I had to look around more.

Given the game is on the Xbox 360 it should be playable with the RX 5700

The current driver is 20.2.1 and it is more stable than the last few. Have you tried that one?

0 Likes

Yes i tried with the latest drivers 20.2.1, still the same, sometimes it goes past the initial loading screen but freezes just before the main menu loads.

Edit: Already DDU'd the drivers just in case, but no luck.

I am aware that the game has a pile of problems which is probably the reason it does not run well. I dug around and found a bunch of forum posts all over on this game from a few years back.

There are other driving games if you cannot coax TDU2 to run.

0 Likes
fedexh
Journeyman III

I just spent an hour troubleshooting this crap as it's only a problem for AMD GPU's.

Nvidia or Intel GPU works fine (being one of those household that have all of them)...

I've checked the game logs, the game crashes as soon as shaders are supposed to be initialized ("initialising shader environment")

I've got 2 screens so I've been monitoring the application on Win10 task manager, where you can check if GPU is used for the application:

• When you launch TDU2, the GPU will light up for 1 second then disappears as soon as the game crashes. 
  • Bascially it's crashing because GPU's not working on it.

I'm on a 5700XT, I remembered our GPUs had specific problems with DX9, so this might be another version of it.

I feared that might be the case, well the game runs well enough on the Laptop with a few Tweaks, strange that the first TDU runs normally on the RX 5700, (Though need to cap the framerate at 60 or the traffic goes insane).

madbrad2244
Adept I

Is there any fix for this? I'm having the same issue

0 Likes

Hello, using a directx wrapper, such as dgvoodoo2, seems to allow you to launch and play the game. Unfortunately it also introduces some graphical artifacts that can be quite annoying. Perhaps modifying the settings, or trying a different wrapper, might help.

You're my saviour!

Thank you, Can confirm that with the dfvoodoo2 wrapper it does work near perfectly except for the graphical artifacts which can get annoying after a while.

You all should make sure to report the issue and what you have found that helps. May help AMD isolate the issue. There are however many complaints about the Navi based cards and older games that the AMD GCN cards play fine. I know I was able to play that game a couple years ago on my RX 580 with no issues. 

To report to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Will do, thanks.

0 Likes
chaosroid
Adept I

Better Workaround found, using this Direct X to Vulkan Wrapper: Releases · doitsujin/dxvk · GitHub .

The Game plays pretty good and without graphical artifacts!.

How was that installed...or is it a stand alone?

0 Likes

After downloading the wrapper extract the D3D9.dll from de 32bit folder to the root of TDU2, where the game's exe is.

Then simply run the game normally.

chaosroid wrote:

After downloading the wrapper extract the D3D9.dll from de 32bit folder to the root of TDU2, where the game's exe is.

Then simply run the game normally.

Maybe you need to install DX9 again 

0 Likes

Whenever I put the dll in my game folder it says 'TDU2 DLC2 v034 has stopped working' when I try and load the game. Do you know a fix for this?

0 Likes

Every time I try to start a test drive it crashes

Driver Theory Test
https://drivertheorytest.com/
0 Likes