cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

baszczer
Adept III

(Temporary) installation solution for 20.45 on Ubuntu 20.04.1, 20.04.2

I've tested on my system and it works. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Desktop

1. sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic

Installs GA kernel 5.4.*

2. Reboot, interrupt grub, in advanced options elect to boot 5.4 based kernel, complete boot. Check that everything works as expected. 

If everything is good, you may remove the other kernel flavours.

3. sudo apt remove --purge linux-generic-hwe-20.04 linux-oem-20.04 linux-hwe-* linux-oem-* linux-modules-5.1* linux-modules-5.8.0-* linux-modules-5.6.0-* 

Removes HWE kernels

4. Reboot

5. Download amdgpu drivers (20.45 RD - 12/17/2020), extract archive, go to amdgpu-pro-20.45-1188099-ubuntu-20.04 folder

6. sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocr

7. reboot after installation

15 Replies
psb-24
Journeyman III

Installation runs through without errors!
But Minergate and other mining tools still can't find GPU - as with all other installation tips.

Phil2
Journeyman III

This is frustrating. NVIDIA cards run Ubuntu and OpenCL or Cuda without a problem. No hassle. It even runs on Ubuntu 20.10 and will probably run  21.04 without a problem. AMD can't even handle the current 20.04.2. and OpenCL. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops downgrading the kernel etc. to get the card to run. Too many issues. They really need to get their act together. I don't know what the problem is. As soon as I can get my hands on NVidia cards to replace this thing I will. 

"This is frustrating. NVIDIA cards run Ubuntu and OpenCL or Cuda without a problem. No hassle. It even runs on Ubuntu 20.10 and will probably run 21.04 without a problem. AMD can't even handle the current 20.04.2. and OpenCL. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops downgrading the kernel etc. to get the card to run. Too many issues. They really need to get their act together. I don't know what the problem is. As soon as I can get my hands on NVidia cards to replace this thing I will."

I agree with you.

0 Likes

for me, this is not the solution.
Indeed, my card (RX 6800) works, at least, only with kernel 5.10.
the kernels 5.4 and 5.8 do not make my card work correctly.

0 Likes

@alainbrest29200   With Ub 20.04.1/2, kernels 5.4 and 5.8 w/HWE are the only supported kernels and should  work with amdgpu 20.45.  Kernel 5.10 (not supported under 20.04.x) might already have the 5.8HWE components built in.  Your RX6800 card is quite new, so there might be something else going on.

0 Likes

D'accord, merci.

Je pense, en effet, que de nouveaux développements sont encore à venir.

amdgpu-pro sera-t-il mis à jour avant ubuntu 21.04? ou peu de temps après?

Maintenant, juste une question: quand?

Actuellement, j'utilise ubuntu 20.10 kernel 5.10 (modifié, donc)

(avec les firmwares git.)

0 Likes

@alainbrest29200   Ub 20.10 & kernel 5.10 are to be considered 'beta' releases and are not supported directly by amdgpu.  Official AMD support is only for the LTS releases, currently 18.04, 20.04.  21.04 will not be a LTS release.  amdgpu might possibly work for you, but you will have to do the grunt work yourself to sort it out.   Your best choices are either to get on an LTS release or switch to mesa.

0 Likes

for the moment, I use the free drivers.
and it works very well . but without OpenCL .
what a pity that amd does not follow the evolution of the software and so badly ensures the follow-up of its own software and hardware.
if you put a hardware in service, it's up to you to provide software support. for everyone.
I hope that the full software support will be available soon for 6800/6800xt/6900xt

I understand, alas, why many use nvidia. your support is not up to the task.

I made an attempt to install the 20.45 driver on a 5.4 kernel.
Besides the fact that it didn't work, I found out that it installed it on the 5.10 kernel (instead of 5.4) and that it blacklisted, by default, amdgpu .

blacklisting which often gave me cold sweats, not understanding why, despite the proprietary driver installed, the card was still non-functional. even with the driver uninstalled, the blacklisting file is not erased.

If you have any leads (other than waiting ...), I would be very honored.
and I dare to believe that this will help many new owners.

respectfully,
alain.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

0 Likes

that the proprietary drivers work badly on ubuntu 20.10 whereas the free drivers, with the good kernel, work, them, very well:
I would say, at a pinch, it's not too serious.

on the other hand, where I am very annoyed is that OpenCL, directly from amdgpu-pro, is not installable on ubuntu.
distribution which AMD boasts to support.

There's something I don't understand.

Besides, apparently, support for the latest cards (RX 6800 / 6800XT / 6900XT) is not provided either.

that support is only provided on LTS versions seems inconceivable to me.
Also, why else would AMD have released its card in November / December 2020 (paper launch?) without providing full support?

seen that his card does not work properly, at least, only with a 5.10 kernel.

0 Likes

I tried your solution, baszczer:

the uninstallation of hwe / oem , 5.6 , 5.8 , 5.1* kernels went well and the installation of GA kernel (5.4) also went well.

the installation of : "sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocr".
also went very well,

but, at restart, in V.M. , gdm (the display manager) does not start.
installation is crashed .

Moreover, amdgpu-pro does not work with the 5.10 kernel, necessary for the RX 6000.

0 Likes

I have RX 5700 XT. I had a similar problem and helped myself by disabling Wyland.

0 Likes

thank you baszczer .

before installing in hard, I test on a V.M. virtualbox.
ubuntu 20.04.2 kernel 5.8, X11 desktop.

so far, failure on all the line.

Your advice seems to work well baszczer, but on reboot, it crashes (ubuntu 20.04.1, V.M. kernel 5.4).

not normal, I think. or you have to explain something to me ...

0 Likes

"or you have to explain something to me ..."

What explanation do you need?

0 Likes

why can amdgpu-pro (opencl=rocr) crash on ubuntu 20.04.1 in V.M. ?

Once installed (OpenCL), ubuntu crashes on reboot.

Where can it come from ?

the test in V.M. breaks me the graphic server. normal ?

thanks baszczer .

i only use X11 gnome desktop .

0 Likes

"why can amdgpu-pro (opencl=rocr) crash on ubuntu 20.04.1 in V.M. ?"

I don't know.

"Where can it come from ? the test in V.M. breaks me the graphic server. normal ?"

I don't know.

In my case editing /etc/gdm3/custom.conf helped.

You could try uncomment WaylandEnable=false

0 Likes