cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Temporary GUI Solution to monitor your AMD GPU's for AMDGPU & AMDGPUPRO Drivers on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. When can we expect a GUI for AMD Linux Drivers?

Hi,

AMD still provide no GUI to monitor or control my GPU's on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (or 18.04LTS or other Linux as far as I know. I can't get an answer).

Is there a plan to provide this basic functionality GUI in AMD Linux Drivers?
Nvidia have a very good GUI Control Panel already, which is a similar look and feel to their Windows Control Panel.

Meantime, thanks to tuxine , I have found a Temporary GUI Control and Monitoring Solution workaround using a Github Project called Radeon Profile.

Here is a quick video showing it running:

Temporary GUI Control and Monitoring solution on AMDGPU and AMDGPUPRO Ubuntu 16.04. - YouTube

The start of the above video shows me running a Steam on Linux game called Verdun, just to see how the GPU clocks and temperature monitoring works.
The latter part of the video demonstrates the GUI menus available.

See: GitHub - marazmista/radeon-profile: Application to read current clocks of ATi Radeon cards (xf86-vid...

You may be an expert on Linux in which case you may be able to install this and get it running quickly.

It took me a reasonable amount of time to get it working.

I hit problems generating a clean compile.

I had to use a number of changes to the installation instructions provided.

The Radeon Profile GUI seems to be reasonably stable so far.

There are some problems I need to investigate and debug in the code before I recompile.

I am unable to report GPU utilization for example.

At least now, I almost have all of the basics required to run and monitor my AMD GPU's on Ubuntu. 16.04 LTS.

Please let me know the schedule for providing a proper GUI in Linux so I can at least decide if it is worth working on Radeon Profile with the original developers to help improve / modify it.

In fact, even better, why don't AMD work with the Radeon Profile developers and Ubuntu to provide this as a temporary GUI if an AMD GUI for Linux  is not going to be released soon.

It would be much better  than nothing, which is the current situation.

Thank you.

13 Replies