cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

TechPowerUp GPU-Z v2.38.0. Fixed BIOS save. Old GPU-Z BIOS save bricks RDNA2 cards when flashed.

A warning to any owners of RDNA2 GPUs, if you are thinking of BIOS flashing your GPU for any reason.

https://www.techpowerup.com/279635/techpowerup-gpu-z-v2-38-0-released?cp=1

The change-log follows.

• Fixed BIOS saving on AMD RDNA2 cards. BIOSes saved with old GPU-Z versions are only 512 KB and will brick your card when flashed

• PCI-Express Resizable BAR status is now displayed in the main window
  • Added support for negative temperature monitoring on NVIDIA
  • Added support for AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, RX 6700, RX 6600 XT, RX 6600, Lucienne APU integrated graphics
  • Added support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile
11 Replies
EFermi
Miniboss

This should be freaking EVERYWHERE. Luckily, I went for the MPT to extend my power limit beyond 300W, scary to imagine what would I do had I chosen to take the flashing route. 

Might be a good idea to check what, if any, VBIOS have been uploaded to the TechPowerup VBIOS database for those GPUs before it is too late and someone downloads and flashes a broken VBIOS from an earlier version of GPUz. 

Can you take a look on behalf of other AMD users?

If you have an RX6000 series GPU you could dump your VBIOS out using that latest version of GPUz and check what size it is versus using an earlier version of GPUz.  

I would have done it to check, but I cannot get any RX69/8000XT yet.

Thanks. 

Can confirm that 2.37 saves 512KB, while 2.38 saves 1MB file size. 

vbios.png

gpu-z.png

Thank you.

0 Likes

Looks like TechPowerUp have put up correct VBIOS for the RX6900XT here: 

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=&model=RX+6900+XT&interface=&memType...

They are all 1024KB 

Still possible people could get a bad VBIOS from elsewhere.

I have not checked the other RX6000 series VBIOS on their site.

0 Likes

Thanks for your screenshot. 
What sensors are reported for the RX6900XT in the latest version of TechPowerUp GPUz please? 
I am interested to see what is reported for Power Monitoring. 
Thanks. 

GPU-Z Typical Sensors (Reference Design):

sensors.png

FurMark (Beginning of Test):

FurMark.jpg

0 Likes

I don't get it at all.
What are You talking about?

There are no such VBiOs update on my ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC
Nor is there any VBIOs flashable that I'm  aware about.

And my I ask: why install and using such a poor, destructive s/w as GPU-Z  in the first place?
Anybody by now should have recognized it since long be´fore.

Best regards from Sweden

RE: I don't get it at all. What are You talking about?

- The title of the post should be self explanatory.

RE: There are no such VBiOs update on my ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC

- I did not say there was a VBIOS update from Asus. 

- Looking here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-RX6900XT-O16G-GAMING/Help... 

there is no such VBIOS update. 
There is no VBIOS download I can find either. 

RE: Nor is there any VBIOs flashable that I'm  aware about.

-Looking here: 
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=Asus&model=RX+6900+XT
There are Two VBIOS dumped out for ASUS RX6900XT models. 

- One of which is for the ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC: 
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/230875/asus-rx6900xt-16384-201207

It looks to be the correct size. 

RE: And my I ask: why install and using such a poor, destructive s/w as GPU-Z  in the first place?

I suggest you talk to Asus Support for your card about that.
Asus provide a download for GPU Tweak II Software on the support page for your ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC GPU.

Here is the link: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Graphic Card/Unique_Applications/GPUTweakII-Version2303.zip

GPU Tweak II normally comes with GPU-Z software integrated so that you can use it to report information about your GPU. You also used to be able to dump a copy of your GPU VBIOS for your card that you purchased in older versions of the software that I have used at least. 

ASUS ROG Page also provide this page: 
https://rog.asus.com/downloads/

It points to an ASUS ROG themed version of GPU-Z. 

You can dump out the VBIOS in case you need a copy of it, should something go wrong, and you need to re-flash the VBIOS onto your GPU. 

I just installed that version of GPUTweak II software to check which version of GPU-Z it uses and see if it can dump out VBIOS or not from it.

RE: Anybody by now should have recognized it since long be´fore.

Many people use GPU-Z  to save a copy of their GPU VBIOS(s), for VBIOS modding, for re-flashing VBIOS onto bricked GPUs.
ASUS themselves use GPU-Z. 

Since you feel so strongly about GPU-Z perhaps you should not have purchased an ASUS AMD GPU.

I do not recommend anyone flashes their GPU VBIOS unless they really have to. 
I personally would obtain the VBIOS from Manufacturer Technical Support, not that TechPowerUp VBIOS Database, but many people do use it.
I did not say anything about your ASUS GPU in particular. 

I was just trying to warn people about needing to update to new GPU-Z version, in case they need to save VBIOS or they want to use GPU-Z to try out VBIOS modding or flashing different VBIOS on to their GPU.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi colesday,  thanks for Your answer.
Well here is the thing and first of all: I have been using AMD and Nvidia graphics cards well beyond their existence, in the early 90-ties there was no such thing as AMD nor Nvidia graphics.  It was all depended on the CPU itself back then.

I have on the recent years an Asus RX480, Asus RX570, Gigabyte GTX560, Gigabyte GV-R929OC-4GD-GA and most recently bought an ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC installed on my Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero mobo (chipset X570) with an AMD Ryzen 9 3950X CPU in which I have under-volted and got higher performance and less power draw = cooler and more efficiency compared to AMD/Asus extreme OC BIOS settings.
Thanks to @1usmus

I have also built a great number of high performance overclocked rigs, from Intel to AMD chipsets and I know what I'm talking about when it comes to h/w and s/w setups.
So don't assume that You are the only one who know things and disrespect others inputs.

Best regards from Sweden
Ps. I'm sorry for my poor english grammar.

0 Likes

RE: So don't assume that You are the only one who know things and disrespect others inputs.

That might be called "projection" I think. 
Go look at what you posted.
I simply replied to your comments, and provided the correct answers.

I am not fighting with anyone, just providing some information and responses.

If you do decide to save the two Graphics Card VBIOS for your ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC GPU you can use the ASUS ROG themed GPU-Z version that the ASUS ROG website point to, as it is v2.38.0.
The GPUTweak II version they point to for your card does not allow VBIOS save, on my GPUs at least.