cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Techical or driver problems with RX 5700 xt (freezing)

Hello everyone. 
Sry for my English, i am from Ukraine. 

Have interesting problem on my 5700 xt. Suddenly games like Borderlands 3, RDR 2, Witcher 3 become freeze and instantly unfreeze (what u can see in video below). Its repeat permanently and is accompanied by one second clicks as if electricity from the video card or... what is heard from the computer case. The problem started from RDR 2 - same as you can see on video - it was simple enough to start the movement of the character. Reinstalling the driver removes the problem in RDR 2, but after some time it returns again suddenly - and new reinstall can fix it or not. Same becomes in Witcher 3, but comes back to normal after the first restart of the game. Now RDR 2 and W3 works well, but Borderlands unplayable (now return to RDR). This problem not accompanied by any artifacts, crashes from games, black screens or anything else - all works fine, only this freeze and unfreeze. Interesting that i can hear same electric sound from case while ALT+Tab the games, going into game menus, or sometimes heard it while moving mouse in strategy map like Total War Warhammer or ANNO. At first i think it was breakdown of my video card or power supply but my friend, with same videocard have this in Borderlands 3 too and in time he lags i can see sth like teleportation in game (like disconnect and suddenly reconnect). So now i thinks its driver problem but maybe techical?. Maybe anyone have the same and have fix or advice what to do?) 
PC
ryzen 5 3600 x
Asus prime pro x570 last bios
Sapphire 5700 xt nitro+
Ballistix Sport lt 16 3000. 
Be Queit! Straight power 11 650 w - connected to GPU through 1 8+8 pin cable VGA 1 (have same VGA 2 that not use) 

First RDR 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTV544quMkU&feature=youtu.be
Borderlands 3 - RX 5700 XT freezing / unfreezing (Borderlands, RDR2 etc) - YouTube 

At same time: The Witcher 3 - any lags.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb2jozTOLpk&feature=youtu.be

Thank you. 

24 Replies
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Techical or driver problems with RX 5700 xt (freezing)

Try disable, msi afterburner, HWiNFO, GPU-z and other similar programs 

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Your PSU is not very good in comparision with others. Also PCIE cables look thin for this PSU and you want to deliver all that juice via those thin cables - not good. If you take a look at igorslab tests card takes 400W in peak. How can you deliver this brutal current via one thin cable?

Use also second cable, maybe stability will be better.

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Hello, thank you. This problem remains without the included monitoring programs.About PSU, friend with Seasonic Focus Gold 650 w have same problem in Borderlands. I should connect to videocard VGA 1 8 pin and VGA 2 8 pin inst, itstead single cable, its safe? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Unfortunately, not working. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

If this LatencyMon program did not show any problems in the system, try to set it rigidly yet
paging file.
e.g. initial size at 9000MB and maximum size at 9000MB

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Then try to reinstall Windows cleanly, install all the latest motherboard drivers, do not install any software than the latest drivers and windows updates, install games from genuine sources if it is not the case. It might also be issue with some drivers or piece of software that you might have installed. In BIOS load optimized defaults, this often helps (assuming motherboard manfufacturer provides bios good updates).

In my opinion it is rather hardware incompatibility, so if you can try card in different computer and diagnose which component in your PC causes incompatibility it would be good. PSU is just bad, can you borrow good PSU from somebody? EVGA P2 or better, Corsair HX or better or similar, at least 750W?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Yeah, all games legal, from Epic store or steam. Unfortunately, i cant find better PSU - all friends have worse. When i build PC i think about buying 1/3 price of this, Chieftec..., but local experts said this +- good and enough for my build, so i add money and bought it. Platinum PSU is so expensive here. Today I downloaded Display Driver unistaller and goes from 20.4.2 to 19.12.2 driver. Playing RDR about 40 min on Vulcan in Saint Denis - no freezes.(While playing on 20.4.2 or earlier it becomes from start). But when this starts i have sth near 19.12.1. too, playing some weeks normally. If this is a hardware problem, how can clean reinstalling of the driver fix it for a while? 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just to confirm, you are using 2x PSU cables and not 1x cable connected to the graphics card? Can we see a picture of the inside of your PC case please?