Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dirthurt
Adept III

tearing with freesync on?

Playing BatmanAS,

I've unlocked the framerate, set it to 100 in config (144hz display) and freesync is reporting that it is on.

However, I'm still getting tearing. I'm getting this in other games also.

Anyone know what's going on?

0 Likes
7 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

1. what screen
2. what is your framerate (why limiting? use "Enhanced Sync)
3. do you have high framedrops - like from 100 to 65 etc?

4. using displayport or hdmi? (but i think dp is needed here to have 144hz)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

I’m on a XF270HU 27”,

I’m hitting 100 or 120 locked when I set it with the frame rate limiter via CCC. I often set it lower to manage temps/noise on the card (RX 580 8GB).

It’s a fairly locked 120. I’ve never saw it go below 100.

I’m using DP right now.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Likes

Blur disabled ?

Monitor Configuration

Please ensure that the Radeon FreeSync capable monitor has been properly configured.  Using the On Screen Display (OSD) controls on the monitor, verify that:

1. Radeon FreeSync is enabled
  2. Anti-Blur is disabled
  3. DisplayPort is set to 1.2 or higher

How to Enable Radeon™ FreeSync™ | AMD

0 Likes

Motion blur? Motion blur is on. That causes screen tearing with freesync?

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Likes

Oh, I figured it out. I had updated the video driver in an effort to get the game to run (it was actually a DX file that needed installed causing the crash). it seems it reset my display to 60 hz and I hadn't noticed.

Changed that back and things are good to go now, aside from some frame pacing issues.

0 Likes

It is a requirement of Freesync...so yeah it could. Those are AMD requirements...

0 Likes
weedyapl
Journeyman III

I just wanted to add my 2 cents on this.

Out of the box Freesync does not work and i wish AMD people would stop telling ppl on this forum to not use Frame Rate Target Control...

If you don't use FRTC it doesn't work not at all on any triple A game i tried

Set FPS to 2 FPS lower then your monitor refresh rate e.g. 58 fps for 60hz monitor in FRTC

Turn on Freesync on monitor and your radeon settings

Disable VSYNC! - i dunno why AMD staff tell people to turn it on but its smooth without it for me?

Test using NVIDIA g-sync test, ramp up the rotation speed and you will see it works. Do not use the AMD freesync test it doesnt work at all. Shows tearing even with Freesync on still.

During my research i read that AOC monitors may need a firmware update as well but i didnt with my LG Freesync monitor.

Enjoy i hope i saved even 1 person the amount of googling i had to do to get Freesync to work properly

0 Likes