Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

System won't boot after installing storemi

Jump to solution

I installed the latest version of StoreMI from the AMD site. It's the first time I've installed StoreMI so I didn't need to uninstall an old version.

Now my system won't boot. I get a blue screen error saying a required device can't be accessed (see attached). 

The system will not start in Safe Mode either.

I have a Ryzen 9 3900 in an Asus Prime X570 Pro motherboard with the latest BIOS (August 2020). System drive is a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB NVMe drive and I have a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe drive in the other m.2 slot. I have a SATA HDD and a couple of SATA SSDs too. All drives are set to AHCI mode. 

I can access all drives if I go to the command line from a Windows Recovery USB stick. The Startup Repair tool says it couldn't fix the problem. I also tried booting from Hiren's USB stick. I'm able to see and access all contents of my drive from there.

Any advice about how to get my system to boot?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Re: System won't boot after installing storemi

Jump to solution

I managed to solve this by uninstalling the StoreMI drivers from the command line in the Recovery Tools. I used the instructions here: 

How to uninstall driver from recovery environment on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech 

to locate the StoreMI drivers rccfg.inf, rcbottom.inf, rcraid.inf and uninstall them.

Thankfully, I was able to reboot after doing this. What a relief!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I managed to solve this by uninstalling the StoreMI drivers from the command line in the Recovery Tools. I used the instructions here: 

How to uninstall driver from recovery environment on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech 

to locate the StoreMI drivers rccfg.inf, rcbottom.inf, rcraid.inf and uninstall them.

Thankfully, I was able to reboot after doing this. What a relief!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Have the same issue. The solution you mentioned get Windows to boot again but it does not get Storemi to work. If you have a windows restore point from before the install you can also use that to boot windows again too.

Any luck in using Storemi?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

No, I didn't try again with StoreMI. It seems like a great idea, but the whole experience made me feel like it's not stable and I can't trust it on my production machine. 

However, if you want to try again, make sure you do not have Samsung NVMe storage device drivers installed. I discovered these were installed because I previously had a Samsung EVO 960 m.2 drive. I still had that drive in one of the m.2 slots, but had installed a Sabrent PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive in the other slot. Windows never gave me any errors about it, but it was causing issues with Sleep/Resume and also degrading performance. Perhaps it also interfered with StoreMI. Long story short, the best choice for AMD systems is the stock Windows NVMe driver.

Hope this helps, and good luck with StoreMI.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I have XPG Nvme, a SanDisk ssd sata drive, a Seagate 1tb 3.5 HDD and a WD 1tb 2.5hdd installed all using Microsoft drivers. 

I opened a support ticket with AMD to try to solve this issue since I purchased the sandisk sata ssd planning on using it as cache for the 1tb 3.5 HDD with storemi.

I started another thread and will keep it updated to help others with same issue https://community.amd.com/thread/257135 

Thx for the reply and let's hope AMD solve this asap.

Regards