cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

superkev
Adept I

System won't boot after installing storemi

I installed the latest version of StoreMI from the AMD site. It's the first time I've installed StoreMI so I didn't need to uninstall an old version.

Now my system won't boot. I get a blue screen error saying a required device can't be accessed (see attached). 

The system will not start in Safe Mode either.

I have a Ryzen 9 3900 in an Asus Prime X570 Pro motherboard with the latest BIOS (August 2020). System drive is a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB NVMe drive and I have a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe drive in the other m.2 slot. I have a SATA HDD and a couple of SATA SSDs too. All drives are set to AHCI mode. 

I can access all drives if I go to the command line from a Windows Recovery USB stick. The Startup Repair tool says it couldn't fix the problem. I also tried booting from Hiren's USB stick. I'm able to see and access all contents of my drive from there.

Any advice about how to get my system to boot?

1 Solution
superkev
Adept I

I managed to solve this by uninstalling the StoreMI drivers from the command line in the Recovery Tools. I used the instructions here: 

How to uninstall driver from recovery environment on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech 

to locate the StoreMI drivers rccfg.inf, rcbottom.inf, rcraid.inf and uninstall them.

Thankfully, I was able to reboot after doing this. What a relief!

View solution in original post

20 Replies
superkev
Adept I

I managed to solve this by uninstalling the StoreMI drivers from the command line in the Recovery Tools. I used the instructions here: 

How to uninstall driver from recovery environment on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech 

to locate the StoreMI drivers rccfg.inf, rcbottom.inf, rcraid.inf and uninstall them.

Thankfully, I was able to reboot after doing this. What a relief!

Have the same issue. The solution you mentioned get Windows to boot again but it does not get Storemi to work. If you have a windows restore point from before the install you can also use that to boot windows again too.

Any luck in using Storemi?

No, I didn't try again with StoreMI. It seems like a great idea, but the whole experience made me feel like it's not stable and I can't trust it on my production machine. 

However, if you want to try again, make sure you do not have Samsung NVMe storage device drivers installed. I discovered these were installed because I previously had a Samsung EVO 960 m.2 drive. I still had that drive in one of the m.2 slots, but had installed a Sabrent PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive in the other slot. Windows never gave me any errors about it, but it was causing issues with Sleep/Resume and also degrading performance. Perhaps it also interfered with StoreMI. Long story short, the best choice for AMD systems is the stock Windows NVMe driver.

Hope this helps, and good luck with StoreMI.

I have XPG Nvme, a SanDisk ssd sata drive, a Seagate 1tb 3.5 HDD and a WD 1tb 2.5hdd installed all using Microsoft drivers. 

I opened a support ticket with AMD to try to solve this issue since I purchased the sandisk sata ssd planning on using it as cache for the 1tb 3.5 HDD with storemi.

I started another thread and will keep it updated to help others with same issue https://community.amd.com/thread/257135 

Thx for the reply and let's hope AMD solve this asap.

Regards

Yeah the same, I use the windows restore point to boot the Windows. But the StoreMI cannot work still, did you solve the problem? I have 2 HDD, and 3 SSD units.

0 Likes

You're a legend! Uninstalling the drivers you mentioned worked like a charm.

0 Likes

Thank you! I'd gone ahead and installed this, I wish I'd read up first.

If it helps others, sometimes the buffer on the command prompt does not provide a full list. You can adjust this with the following:

mode con:cols=1000 lines=3000

You can also get a more readable list if you suffix the /get-drivers command with /Format:Table

Thanks again!

0 Likes

Hello can someone help me with this? im a noob in command prompt

0 Likes

The solution suggested by superkev works for me. Uninstalled the drivers mentioned and let windows run automatic repair for awhile. System is able to boot normally after that.

0 Likes

Hi. I’m in the same boat.

so I was so stupid I was curious to see what this shiny StoreMI app is about. Installed it, opened it, played around with it combining drives. Reboot comp - cannot access my nvme. Tried to find those drivers, went into program files and deleted drivers in there, because I couldn’t find them in System32 folder. Can you guys please help me? I really, REALLY don’t want to clean wipe my computer again. 

0 Likes

Have you tried the solution provided by superkev? Because that is what works for me

0 Likes

Tried the original solution again and it worked, just had to make sure to write the oem#.inf name instead of the actual driver name itself. I can now boot to Windows normally.

0 Likes

Hey, got pretty much the same prob with a Crucial M2 SSD and i found out StoreMI probably forbid my SSD's drivers to install for some reason because when I unistalled StoreMI drivers it instantly downloaded the one missing for my SSD on reboot. Now everything seems to work fine and I could probably reinstall StoreMI but I'm not quite confident anymore so it'll probably be fine just like that. 

0 Likes

How i know which OEM.inf is it?

0 Likes
starbock
Journeyman III

I find it shockingly inexcusable that almost a year after this thread was started the problem still exists!  I ran into it, too.  Does AMD just not care about trashing people's systems?  And, yeah, the experience also leaves me not eager to jump on StoreMI;  so, AMD can call that a successful way to discourage customers from using their products.

I Also get the same issue, and forced me to reinstall windows. Because the deleting driver only not working for me.

0 Likes

I use B550m AorusPro. I have solved my issue. I have to update my motherboard bios to the last version, and I try reinstalling it and all fine.

FYI: The AMD StoreMI will use one of your core to run full load even after restarting the pc and it can effect my gaming experience! So, I uninstall it again

0 Likes
anyen
Adept I

my nvme is  pny 1tb. i think the same as sabrent which use phison chip.

i installed the same thing.just wont boot.after i delete the driver and it boot again.

last time it used to work.i reinstalled and found out that it installed all the drive in sata and nvme but only my samsung 970.

it is not installing the driver of pny nvme which is phison chip...it is not installed by looking no scsi driver for the pny

i think amd sholud tweak the  storemi 2 detection driver so it can boot fine.

0 Likes
anyen
Adept I

storemi 2.1.0.205 latest fix my problem and it works with windows 11

0 Likes
moebiussurfing
Journeyman III

I installed the Revision Number 2.1.0.218 here on Windows 11 successfully.
But made the system non boot! This is incredible.
First blue screen that I have seen in years.
I have to boot using secure mode, then uninstall and luckily my system back to boot.

0 Likes