cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jeffb0918
Adept II

System Thread Exception Not Handled BSOD in Windows 10 likely caused by obsolete AMD GPU driver (23.20.780.2), as newer releases would interfere with Windows 10 causing OS corruption

Hi guys,

I have recently run into this issue with AMD driver for my RX480. I did several "experiments" to prove that indeed the two latest driver and software packages for my GPU are for some reason incompatible with my Windows 10 Pro. The following are my findings:

- I have tried installing the latest driver and software package (18.2.2) using both the web installer or the "local" installer. These results in corruption in several of my Windows 10 files, particularly consistent at corrupting my start menu.

- I have tried installing the driver and software package (18.2.1) using both the web installer or the "local" installer, either by rolling back from 18.2.2, or by first removing the current package with DDU and do a fresh install of the 18.2.1. These also result in corruption in several of my Windows 10 files, particularly consistent at corrupting my start menu.

- I tried to prove this by uninstalling the AMD graphics driver in device manager and letting Windows to obtain a driver automatically and getting the latest one available via device manager. This gives me back my start menu, ie. removes all my corruption/conflict issue, but only gives me version 23.20.780.2 for the graphics driver.

- All of these results are highly reproducible (at least 10x). What I did to reproduce the issue is by doing an in-place upgrade for Windows 10 whenever my start menu stopped working. Upon in-place upgrade, even though I started with a version, let's say 18.2.2 or 18.2.1, the driver will simply revert back to the package with 23.20.780.2, and this gives me my start menu back in working order. Then I will try to reinstall the latest AMD driver, either by first removing the obsolete one with DDU or just simply "overwriting" it with the new one. These both result in my start menu stopped working again, the second the drivers were installed.

- If and whenever I stick to the obsolete driver obtained by Windows automatically, I will get the System Thread Exception Not Handled BSOD upon increasing the GPU load, nearing 100%, like in gaming scenarios, rendering, etc. Mind you, this is at stock GPU settings, without any OC. Based on some Googling, it is well-known that the BSOD is related to an obsolete graphics driver.

- To further prove my point, I ran a GPU only stress test with AIDA64 at stock GPU settings and it gives me the exact aforementioned BSOD in less than a minute. On contrary, I stress tested my OCed CPU and memory also in AIDA64 and it ran perfectly fine, thus eliminating the possibility of a bad CPU or memory OC.

- Additionally, with a Windows 10 Insider's Build and the latest 18.2.2 driver package installed, the system straight up won't boot. It will loop in the System Thread Exception Not Handled error upon startup on the login screen before reaching the desktop, restart the system, and keep doing the same thing until the system enters recovery mode. I can, however, boot into safe mode and then remove the AMD driver using DDU, and then boot normally to Windows without the presence of the latest AMD driver.

- Note that I have talked to Microsoft support regarding the issue and they were unable to find a fix aside from me reverting to the obsolete driver, which is shown to be the latest in device manager. They suggested me to communicate the issue with AMD staffs so that it can be soon addressed as it is becoming very annoying to have my PC randomly crashing at times when I am working.

So, has anyone experienced the same issue? Or has there been any fix for this? Thanks.

FYI, my system is an ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Ranger MB, Intel i7 6700K CPU, Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition CPU cooler, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM, MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G GPU, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, 2TB WD Blue HDD, and Corsair Silent Pro Gold 550W PSU

UPDATE:

- I have tested and apparently, the Adrenaline drivers (up to 18.2.1) works well with my 1709 Windows 10 Pro on my older i5 4670K and Gigabyte Z87-G41 PC Mate. But for some reason, it doesn't work with my current main system.

- I observed another form of Windows 10 corruption by the Windows Store to be crashing constantly and closing itself down every time I launch it. Similarly, I also notice Netflix app exhibiting that behavior. I suspect that the Netflix, in particular, is crashing because it uses the GPU in some way to play the media, and the issue is not regarding Netflix app's compatibility with the Windows 10 1709. Aditionally, I also noticed that the drivers have somehow corrupted DirectX as well, as attempting to run Unigine Heaven, Valley, and Superposition in DX11 or DX9 would simply crash the program. Similarly, games like ROTTR or Hitman with a DX12 mode, simply won't launch and will eventually crash. These DirectX issues, are, again, I believed to be related to the GPU drive incompatibility and not the programs/games itself. I proved my belief by testing this on a different system with also Windows 10 Pro 1709, which is not using an AMD GPU, and both Netflix and Windows Store are working fine, including the start menu and everything. Additionally, DirectX are also working just fine.

- I have also noticed that the latest version of driver I can install and not corrupting my OS is the Crimson 17.11.4 which is version 23.20.793.1024 on Windows driver database. Worth noting that the latest supported AMD driver in the Windows driver database itself is the 23.20.780.2 which belongs to Crimson 17.11.2. Anything above Crimson 17.11.4 (which by definition is Adrenaline series) will corrupt my OS in the sense that the start menu will be broken, Windows Store crashing constantly, along with Netflix app, and DirectX malfunctioning. Everything will be back to working order on my Windows 10 if I rolled back to Crimson 17.11.4, but then I gave up supports of the newer driver on the more recent games and also some of the Radeon settings' features.

I feel like this shouldn't be how you treat costumers of your product in the recent few years. The product should still be fully supported on any platform it was supported initially and not just dropped off support arbitrarily

Message was edited by: Jeff Bastian Wongso Wijaya

38 Replies
perkas
Adept II

Hi,

I have experienced the same problems like you with my Radeon 470, since i tried upgrading from Crimson to Adrenaline drivers:

- Blue screen appears randomly (not only when i am gaming).

- In Battlefield 1, "Child" doesn't work: it is capped to max rate defined.

- Overlay doesn't work properly in BF1.

I have tried DDU in safe mode , and reinstalling differents Adrenaline drivers versions, but no lucky..

The only option for me is revert to Crimson (version 17.11.4)..

I have report to AMD in December, and post the problem in several threads in this forum, but no lucky..

For example, watch the following thread with more people facing these issues:

System crashes continue with 17.12.2

My specs: Intel i7 6700K, Gigabyte Z170 X gaming 5, 16Gb DDR4 2133Mhz)

Well, I think the problem is not entirely on the AMD side. They clearly messed something up in their recent drivers, but as my findings have showed, it is obvious that the issue is tied to compatibility with Windows. So, AMD and Windows need to work this out together as that truly seems to be the issue. For me, reinstalling the recent drivers, let’s say 18.2.2 works fine, I can get my GPU working fine, even with OC and everything running steadily (tested multiple times). But then it seems like the newer Adrenaline drivers were not officially supported by Windows, thus their incompatibilities. Even 18.2.2 was not officially recognized by 3DMark, indicating that that driver is likely to still be a pre-release or a kind of Beta version.

Do you have the latest BIOS & Chipset from Asus installed for your Motherboard: MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA

Latest BIOS - version 3703 - 01/12/2018

Latest Intel Chipset - version 11.7.0.1040 - 11/01/2017

Yes indeed. I have installed everything that are the latest in the support page for the motherboard. I am fairly sure regarding both my BIOS version and my ME utility, but I can re-check that indeed.

As a matter of fact, upon checking in BIOS, my chipset ME version has been updated again (I presume automatically), since the last version mentioned in the support page of the motherboard.

Latest on support site : 11.7.0.1040 (11/01/2017)

My current chipset ME version : 11.8.50.3399 (11/06/2017)

I supposed this particular update is because of this :

"MEUpdateTool

Intel has identified security issue that could potentially place impacted platform at risk. Use ME Update tool to update your ME."

I believe upon my utilization of that ME update tool, I updated my chipset ME to the truly latest version, which is even more recent than that provided in the ASUS product support page.

Could this then be an issue? Furthermore, as far as I know, it is not possible to downgrade your chipset ME, and you can only upgrade.

As for my BIOS version, I have verified and it is indeed version 3703, which is the latest available one.

Last I heard/read was, drivers are not tested/qualified on Insider Preview builds.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Indeed, and that actually would've been fine for me. If you read my post, using the Insider Preview's builds of my Windows 10 Pro won't just be incompatible or corrupt the Windows file, it straight up made the system unusable as it will be stuck in a loop with the System Thread Exception Not Handled error upon startup on the Windows login screen before even reaching the desktop. The error will restart the system, and it will keep doing the same thing over and over again until the system enters recovery mode, from which I can boot into safe mode, and then remove the AMD driver using DDU, and then boot normally to Windows without the presence of the latest AMD driver, and simply allow Windows to automatically obtain the driver for the GPU. But I can still understand this as the Windows version itself is not the version available to everyone. My issue is mainly with the fact that the latest released driver for the GPU is not compatible with the latest publicly available Windows 10 Pro build, which is the one with the Fall Creators Update (version1709), and worse, it will also corrupt OS files upon installation.

Sorry, can't help further.

I've not experienced any of your issues with any Adrenaline(Crimson) driver on full/public release win10 pro vers.

No start/taskbar/mouse/printer/OS corruption related to graphics drivers.

Maybe i'm just lucky ? 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I think the issue is indeed isolated to some users. There has to be a third (or more) incompatible components that all users with this issue shares. As far as I can tell, the Adrenaline drivers (up to 18.2.1) work well with my 1709 Windows 10 Pro on my older i5 4670K and Gigabyte Z87-G41 PC Mate. But for some reason, here it doesn't work properly. A new update though, I have noticed that the latest version of driver I can install and not corrupting my OS is the Crimson 17.11.4 which is version 23.20.793.1024 on Windows driver database. Worth noting that the latest supported AMD driver in the Windows driver database itself is the 23.20.780.2 which belongs to Crimson 17.11.2. Anything above Crimson 17.11.4 will corrupt my OS in the sense that the start menu will be broken, and I recently noticed that the Windows Store would also be crashing constantly, along with Netflix app (at least this is what I found to be also crashing like the Store app). I truly suspect that the Netflix, in particular, is crashing because it uses the GPU in some way to play the media. And indeed, reverting back to 17.11.4 fixes literally everything. Everything is back to working order on my Windows 10, but then I gave up supports of the newer driver on the more recent games and also some of the Radeon settings' features.

Not sure what to say with the earlier part but this part "My issue is mainly with the fact that the latest released driver for the GPU is not compatible with the latest publicly available Windows 10 Pro build, which is the one with the Fall Creators Update (version1709), and worse, it will also corrupt OS files upon installation."  before I add anything else. I am not defending AMD here, in fact I am not very happy with the drivers either, but I have not seen this issue with my 1709 build. The driver loads fine without corrupting anything, as far as I know, some issues in some games maybe yes. I have not seen any other complaints of these issues either. I am not sure what to make of this. All very foreign to the usual suspects of problems at the moment IMHO. Hopefully AMD Matt or Ray can add their thoughts for you as they work for AMD. Sure sorry you are having issues. I definitely get that it is very frustrating. Sorry if you already  covered this, at work and no time to read everything again, did you submit a bug report to AMD?

So wasn't I until a few days ago. And if you read my updated post, it is evident that the issue is not simply the incompatibility between the Adrenalin drivers and Windows, there exists another variable which I can't quite narrow down just yet. And indeed, with my other build, my GPU can function properly, using Windows 10 1709, running perfectly fine. Yes, I get that there doesn't seem to be many (or perhaps any) with a similar issue like mine; hence I'm posting it here just to see if anyone have any idea what's up and maybe can help me with it. I'm not here to blame AMD or anything, I simply would like to bring up the issue, hoping that they will notice it, and hopefully fixes it, for the sake of improving their product support. I have other systems I can use for the moment, honestly. I simply would like for this one to also work, as I don't see a reason why it shouldn't. It could very well be not just the AMD driver, but also other factors playing a role in my issue, and all I'm trying to do is just reaching out to each entity, who I think might have something to do with the issue, therefore can perhaps provide me with some explanation or help. And lastly, no, I have not submitted a bug report. Maybe you can tell me how to do so? I am not entirely sure that I am familiar with the procedure.

I wasn't implying in any way you shouldn't be asking questions, just that I don't have the foggiest idea how to help, and that you should file a bug report, as it's pretty hit  and miss the issues that get recognized by AMD on these forums, as they are community support not official AMD support.

I'd be happy to help with the bug report info: for future reference so you don't have to back track here there are links in the pinned threads in the forums, in the driver pages in the right side menu and at the bottom of every driver releases notes. AMD Issue Reporting Form

Good luck!

I understand. Thank you! I will file in the bug report as soon as possible.

Okay just saw where you they have been running preview build. Not sure how they can ever expect preview builds to not have issues. Microsoft has been having issues causing graphics problems in the last few release builds so no way I would be running a preview build. I too don't believe
AMD claims any compatibility with those builds.

Well, I was not running an Insider’s Preview build to begin with, I simply opt-in for the program just as a mean to hopefully probably solve my issue. The fact that it is more than likely that the Insider’s Preview build would be even less supported is actually fine for me, it makes sense. If you read my post, I am using the Insider’s Build to further illustrate the incompatibility issue, as using the Insider Preview's builds of my Windows 10 Pro won't just be incompatible or corrupt the Windows file, it straight up made the system unusable as it will be stuck in a loop with the System Thread Exception Not Handled error upon startup on the Windows login screen before even reaching the desktop. The error will restart the system, and it will keep doing the same thing over and over again until the system enters recovery mode, from which I can boot into safe mode, and then remove the AMD driver using DDU, and then boot normally to Windows without the presence of the latest AMD driver, and simply allow Windows to automatically obtain the driver for the GPU. But I can still understand this as the Windows version itself is not the version available to everyone. My issue is mainly with the fact that the latest released driver for the GPU is not compatible with the latest publicly available Windows 10 Pro build, which is the one with the Fall Creators Update (version 1709), and worse, it will also corrupt OS files upon installation in addition to being incompatible.

0 Likes
supervargen
Challenger

Hello.

Thank you so much for that well written post.
I have had the same problem you are describing.

I had to use DDU in fail safe mode several times and install ReLive 17.10.3 to get win10 to work again.

I had all kinds of weird problems with newer drivers.

What you describe and the following problems.

1. Freeze at almost complete boot. Hard reboob required

2. Failed to initiate sound card. Hard reboob required

3. Random freeze at random times. Hard reboob required

4. Fail to boot.

5. Other strange things.

I used a halfway fix by signing out and then in again when boot did complete. Then win 10 sometimes worked. Sometimes.

I will NOT try newer than ReLive 17.10.3 until i knew things are fixed.

Don't care if it's AMD or Microsoft. A fix is needed NOW.

We are legion with these problems.

I wonder how many headaches I potentially save myself because I have never even tried to load relive? I will say these last 2 drivers are working a lot better for me though. Obviously overall still a ways to go to take care of everyone's needs.

Actually, the last drivers are indeed working very well for me on my other setup (I can only vouch up to 18.2.1, as in 18.2.2 I observed some flaky software behavior, even in my older setup). And I actually liked the Adrenalin drivers a lot, especially that Wattman has profile functions, so that I can play around with OC without having to retype every single number everytime my system went unstable. But yeah, the last few days, with my newer setup, it's just disappointing, to say the least. I like the whole idea of AMD having cards that are less overpriced than NVidia, and the whole idea of the company being more "people-oriented", but still, I have never had any such issue with NVidia cards before and has been using NVidia cards for like in the last 9 or so years. It kind of feels like their support for their cards are still better than AMD's. I have only started using AMD cards in the last 2 or so years, and this driver issue is just so annoying, especially because it is corrupting other things. I would be less annoyed if it would just straight up doesn't work but leave my things intact.

Oh wow, another one with a similar driver compatibility issue. Indeed, I remember that at some point my network card and sound card driver would be all messed up as well using the later Adrenaline drivers, but I can fix those by manually reinstalling the driver everytime they got corrupted. It is annoying, and they will randomly corrupt again at some point, but it works temporarily at least. I wonder what your motherboard and GPU are? And also, your Windows 10 version? I can fix mine by rolling back just to the latest Crimson, so basically 17.11.4, but yeah anything newer doesn't work. I'm suspecting that this might also be related to the motherboard manufacturer, like their supported Windows version and stuff, but I digress. I thought about the motherboard because my other setup with Gigabyte Z87-G41 PC Mate works perfectly fine with the Adrenalin drivers and the GPU and Windows 10 1709, but then there's also another guy in the top comment who is using a Gigabyte motherboard, yet experiencing this similar driver incompatibility issue like the both of us. Also, when I talked to a Microsoft support, they specifically recommended me to go back to 1703 as they saw that ASUS had not officially supported version 1709. I did, however, tried to contact ASUS to see if they know anything about this issue, hopefully, they will get back to me soon. And the Microsoft support guy whom I talked to said that he will pass the incompatibility issue to those with more expertise on the subject and he said he will send me an e-mail if they got the latest driver officially supported. As of now, they recommend me to either try to go back to version 1703, i.e. clean install as I no longer have that 10 days restore point, or just stick with the latest driver available in Device Manager for the GPU and don't use anything newer.

I hope a fix will come, exited about from whom. AMD or Microsoft?

I have a 2600K on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Windows 10 1709

While I realize that ultimately it is on AMD to be compatible with the Microsoft products. It still scares me greatly to think that Microsoft is making changes that allow for a device driver to install on a newer variation of Windows 10 and it corrupts the system. Its pretty hard for me to even begin to condem AMD for that. If Microsoft is going to do this, how can we ever trust any update for any hardware again? No hardware company sells their product to be compatible with future OS, only what its compatible with when released. Yes updates often improve this or add compatibility later, but I have never seen what is being said here. This truly scares me, and I have been scared already with the other problems I have had across our corporate computers with the last 2 creators updates. Wow......

Well, the thing is, the newer drivers are technically not on the "official supported drivers list" by Microsoft. I checked that and the latest one you can get by auto-updating in Device Manager is Crimson 17.11.2. So, technically, that's the latest they are officially supporting. When I ask a support agent about that, they told me that I should only stick with the latest one in Device Manager for minimum risk of incompatibility, even though there exist newer versions out there. So, technically speaking, we are circumventing Microsoft's way of controlling the whole compatibility issue by manually (or forcefully) installing newer drivers, which, to Microsoft's point of view are still "experimental" or "beta" per se. Again though, I am not blaming any of the two in particular and demanding one of them to take full-on responsibility. I just want the both of them to work this issue out from each of their respective ends, because indeed, as you put it, it is scary that incompatibilities can have such severe impact to such extent, which I never thought it could have before.

I absolutely get what you are saying here. It seems like a Microsoft cop-out. If you had to count on Microsoft to deliver the driver and the right driver at that we'd all be in trouble. I think the only places this happens is in corporate environments. For most users we want the added features that don't come with the driver only packages that are also typically pretty outdated Microsoft serves up. I had Microsoft just last night wanting to install a "new" network driver on my Windows 10 machine, the driver was from 2013! The driver I have correctly installed is from late 2017 and I am having zero issues.

I think that Microsoft is pushing out poorly documented changes faster than the tech industry can adjust for, and we are all paying the price. I think that the recent state of affairs is a combination of AMD kinda doing the same. Worrying about having more features than the green team, and not optimizing game performance, hardware stability and OS compatibility. But these issues are not on AMD alone as the state of proper Bios from the card makers is atrocious too. My cards maker had the worst support I ever dealt with to date. I wonder if the card makers have to go back to AMD and go though any QC / certification process before selling the product to us?  They sure are not all created equal.

0 Likes

I don't know how a GPU driver can cause so much Windows 10 corruption. I would have thought that Windows corruption would normally be caused by failing hardware like a bad Hard Drive or RAM memory module or possibly a virus/Malware infection. I know that failing or bad RAM Modules and sometimes bad PSUs will cause BSODs. Also failing or bad Hard drives or RAM will also cause Windows and software corruption. I read you tested your GPU card and it checked good. Maybe for general troubleshooting purposes to eliminate any hardware failures or failing, you should check your RAM and C: Drive.

Found this for reasons why data get corrupted:

Causes of data corruption and loss

Common causes of data corruption and loss include:

• Power outages or other power-related problems.
  • Improper shutdowns, such as caused by power outages or performing a hard restart: pressing and holding the power button or, on Macs so equipped, the restart button.
  • Hardware problems or failures, including hard drive failures, bad sectors, bad RAM, and the like.
  • Failure to eject external hard drives and related storage devices before disconnecting them or powering them off.
  • Bad programming, particularly if it results in either hard restarts or data that is saved incorrectly.

I mentioned the above because you said your other computer system works fine with the latest AMD drivers without Windows corruption.

Just for troubleshooting purposes,  try running the AMD Driver in Compatibility mode like it was suggested by Microsoft Forum:

Now I request you to try installing the graphics driver in compatibility mode.

Follow these steps to install the driver in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

1.      Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website. 

2.      Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

3.      Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persist.

I had the exact same question as I thought an incompatible GPU driver would just straight up doesn't work but leave everything, especially the OS alone. But apparently, that's not the case, and the Microsoft support technician also told me that it is possible to have them related in some way. I have tested my RAM sticks with MemTest and it seems to be fine, plus, those are literally the newest part of the system, a pair of 8GB DDR4 sticks from Corsair. And my OS is installed on an SSD boot drive, so, I would say that the chance of that failing is pretty low, but I can always fire up CrystalDisk to see if the performance of the SSD remained consistent to what I started with indeed, and maybe check for the disk health in general. And as for viruses or malware, I have performed multiple scans of the entire system (including my two HDD) using Avast and Malwarebytes, which both turned up nothing, really. And for the PSU, I'm not entirely sure on how to go about testing that, it is a Corsair Silent Pro Gold 550W. It should also be noted that I did not get just any random BSODs, but specifically and consistently the one BSOD mentioned in the title. Furthermore, it's rather unlikely, in my opinion, for the issue to be related to hardware and stuff as that would add the element of randomness into the system's overall behavior, which I clearly didn't observe. What I have reported after my testings are highly consistent behavior, implying the exact same issue, the exact same BSOD, can all be reproduced in rapid succession (I did up to 10x in a row by just repeating the same thing over and over again). And lastly, about the compatibility mode, do you maybe have any clue on which compatibility mode I should run it in? Like Windows 8, 7, etc? Because the installer itself was said to be for Windows 10, and I just tried running it with Windows 8 compatibility mode, but that gave me an error message saying "Error 184 – AMD Installer Cannot Continue Due to an Unsupported Operating System".

I am out of suggestions. For some reason, something in your computer setup is preventing the latest AMD drivers from working and causing BSOD error Thread etc.

You have the latest BIOS and Chipset installed. That usually is a big factor in installing and using the Latest AMD drivers. You checked Memory and your SSD (Which I didn't know you were using).  The BSOD error does indicate a Driver issue. That tip about using compatibility was mentioned by Microsoft Forum moderator but I wouldn't give it too much emphasis. I just mentioned it for troubleshooting purposes.

Found this informative website that more troubleshooting tips on the error you are getting: FIX: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - Appuals.com

Well, thanks anyway for taking your time reading, and thank you for the link, I will have a look at it to see if anything I haven't tried could help. I am still trying to figure out what else is conflicting with the two (OS and AMD driver), but upon my recent contact with ASUS support, they have stated that their BIOS (in my motherboard, specifically, not sure about the other motherboards) do officially support the latest Windows 10 version and build, with all its updates. In fact, the person I talked to mentioned that he tried a similar setup with the difference in the GPU being of NVidia's and not AMD's, and all Windows 10 version, down to the latest updates (perhaps excluding Insider's build) worked fine with the motherboards, without any issue. So, I don't know what else to try, really. The issue is then clearly between AMD and Microsoft.

0 Likes

Might be worth a try, post a query on 'tenforums.com', BSOD and Debugging section.

There is a website that specializes in BSODs in Windows. They will have you download a small program that will get all the information they need plus any Dumps to help analyze the exact causes of your computer's BSOD. The website is the one where you can officially download SFCFIX. Then they will give possible solutions and instructions on how to repair the computer to prevent the BSOD. Here is the website if your interested: BSOD, Crashes, Kernel Debugging. ​This is the homepage for the webpage: ABOUT: Sysnative

This from the Homepage of Sysnative that explains about the Website (I know I am advertising ):

Sysnative - The Beginning

At one time or another, most people who use the Windows operating system have experienced the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD). Until Windows 8, a strange blue screen filled with numbers and codes, completely incomprehensible to most everyone. Granted, there are occasions where a shutdown/restart or evoking "Last Known Good Configuration" appear to have resolved whatever issue caused the BSOD. More times than not, however, help is needed to trace the source of the problem. This is where Sysnative.com came into play.

Sysnative.com is the result of a vision of Microsoft MVP (2009-2015), John Griffith. John, known in forum communities as jcgriff2, specializes in Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Kernel dump analysis. John also enjoys a reputation as an expert Windows forensic troubleshooter, typically sought by Windows Vista and Windows 7 owners after all else has failed.

John developed an application for use by BSOD OPs known as the "jcgriff2 BSOD File Collection app". The output, including mini kernel memory dumps, is used by BSOD Analysts who assist computer users in tracking down the source of the BSODs plaguing their computers. In addition, John developed BSOD kernel dump file scripts that automate many of the mundane tasks performed by the Windbg GUI. The scripts allow the running of multiple BSOD kernel dump files vs. running dumps one-by-one with Windbg. In addition, the scripts also incorporate a direct interface to the Driver Reference Table, known as DRT, for driver look-ups. The DRT was created by Microsoft MVP John Carrona, known by his online handle, usasma.

The contributions by many talented people who are involved in analyzing the data compiled by John's application have made the "Sysnative/jcgriff2 BSOD File Collection app" and the "writhziden BSOD Dump Processing Scripts" the tools of choice for BSOD Kernel Dump Analysis. 

0 Likes

Thanks. But "‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ " what mode should one use?

Ignore that, if you want set the compatibility mode to Windows 10 since any other mode would not work. That was just a suggestion given by Microsoft Forum moderator.

I think BSOD can broke files, because i have run "chkdsk" when Bsod happens, and there were same errors. And SFC /Scannow reports errors for me.

I have checked my disk reviously with no errors. My SSD has only few months..

0 Likes
supervargen
Challenger

This is bay far the most important thread right now.

Please AMD leave a reply. Just something to say that you have agnolish this.

Yeah it is disappointing that no one who works for AMD won't even chime in on the issue. I am not asking for any immediate solution, just at least let us know that "yes we are aware of the issue and we are working on a fix to be released soon". That alone is good enough in showing that they do care about these stuff.

blipblipsign
Adept I

Note : i always using DDU before installing new driver .

Windows 10 Update - latest.

Ram check , HDD check, Mobo  & PSU check  done - good condition .

Hope this Log can help .. who needed. PS : rekt English.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

System :
Phenom II X4 965 BE  3,4 Ghz ( quad core )

Graphics  [ HIS R7 250x 1Gb ]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver : Testing Log :

17.12.1 and 17.12.2  :

• Monitor auto shutdown randomly .. following by keyboard etc. all peripheral device not responding

18.1.1 , 18.2.1 and 18.2.2 :

• Randomly BSOD (system_thread_exception_not_handled atikmdag.sys) . sometimes in game (fortine, league of draven) , rip leaver buster. sometimes when computer idle , etc .

Base on this post : I revert back to 11.7.4  : testing 1 day, playing game : fortnite , no problem appear ( yet) .

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Driver Advantages :

11.7.4 : heavy CPU usage (above 60% cores usage in game / flux) , no problem so far (1 day tested)

17.12.1, 17.12.2 , 18.1.1 , 18.2.1 , 18.2.2 : low CPU usage ( bellow 60% each core in game) ,  increase FPS by 3% ( related to Vulcan probably!! ) . But .. there ...issues occur , BSOD etc, randomly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

--Share yours exp.

After installing Adrenalin drivers I also started getting random BSODs with system_thread_exception_not_handled (atikmdag.sys) message. No problem whatsoever with pre-Adrenalin drivers. Also ancient system (Phenom II, Radeon 7750, latest Windows 10 64 bit).

0 Likes

Revert to Crimson..  There are a lot of users suffering BSOD issues with Adrenalin drivers..

0 Likes

Try out three or four of the latest Crimson drivers and see which one worked for you and test it for stability. In my case 17.11.4 works fine in the beginning, but for some reason, after a few or so days it is crashing again whenever I am watching something, like movies or videos, only now without the blue screen but simply a freeze. This is also in stock settings, again. I did try out several more Crimson drivers that are older, but for me, they also have the same effect. They seemed to be stable, but then after a while, that crashing during simple tasks like watching movies or videos are back. I eventually gave up as it is very frustrating for me not being able to work for nearly 2 weeks now and living in fear as my computer can randomly crash at any given point in time, taking all the work I am doing at the moment along with it. So yeah, I am selling my RX480 and just quickly buying a GTX1080.

0 Likes