cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

System no longer stable since updating my BIOS from AGESA 1.2.0.3 to 1.2.0.7

Hello,
as already well explained here: Driver Problem from 1.2.0.3  and extensively here : Reddit: AGESA version issues 1205 to 1207
I'm having same problem (just like tons of people in that post): the system randomly freezes with windows and Linux (arch and Debian). The microcode and drivers are up-to-date, and the issue is not linked to HW problem I excluded trying different RAMs and testing it with prime95 and memtest86. Plus, the problem without changing the hardware completely disappears with AGESbeforeto AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3abba.
Being the only variable changing (testified by me and a lot of other users and HW configurations) the problem is indeed within the AGESA

I've tried different solutions as commented here :Reddit: personal walkthrough
I've tried manually setting  timings, CPU voltage with offset mode,  and Gear Down Mode (this last one improved the situation making the freezes less frequent but present nonetheless)
None worked and the problem made my system unreliable. (I more than once lost code I was working on because of this)

Then here I am signalling this that seems to have been forgotten and put on the back burner with all the RYZEN 3xxx users.
Not all of us may have the custom BIOS that fixed the problem for the user of the post  I cited above, we all need a fix in the AGESA that does not include "BUY the 5xxx CPU"

Thanks for your support, appreciate AMD products CPUs and GPUs but we need this

My current system information:
Host: MS-7C02 1.0
Kernel: 5.10.0-18-amd64
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (12) @ 3.600GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Memory: 15991MiB - CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 

0 Likes
1 Solution

I solved it with some BIOS settings concerning the RAM.

The problem from one AGESA to a recent version seems to freeze the system on some configurations.

For anyone who wants to try I solved the same problem with two different RAM:
First with the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance 3200Mhz 2x8GB
and now with PVS432G320C6K Patriot Viper Steel 3200Mhz 2x16Gb

With the following settings (keep in mind that yours could be slightly different based on your RAM-CPU-MOBO):
XMP to OFF (we'll manually set the ram to overclock)
DRAM Frequency -> 3200Mhz
FLCK Frequency -> 1600Mhz (Half Dram Frequency)
VDDP Voltage -> 0.9
VDDG CCD Voltage -> 0.9
VDDG IOD Voltage -> 0.9
DRAM Voltage -> 1.37 (1.35 was enough for Vengeance, slightly higher for Viper but safe nonetheless)
Power Supply Idle Control -> Typical Current Idle
CPPC -> Disabled
CPPC Preferred Core -> Disabled

RAM Timings -> ( for these you HAVE TO use your RAM specifications' timing, a simple google research )

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Had you tried to contact motheboard manufacturer for support? 
Maybe with combined focus you might get to the core of the problem? 

Already contacted.
I'm waiting for a newer response ( at the moment they asked me BIOS configuration and window event viewer (even if i told them i use Linux, but I dual booted it so it's fine)
I'll keep you posted with their response thanks

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

I have Asus X570 with 4403 BIOS (AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.7.) and have no issues with 3800X

Sometimes they change the structure of BIOS and then settings might be all over the place, so safe way to flash is, set BIOS to default, flash, then apply changes. If you had any stored BIOS profiles, they can become useless and should not be used.

I exported BIOS settings to a file -> set BIOS to defaul -> flash BIOS -> type in all the settings manualle -> save this as new profile

Maybe you should try this and reflash BIOS. Maybe even clear cmos before flashing.

I'll try and keep you posted, thanks

0 Likes

UPDATE:
I tried setting everything to default in BIOS (CMOS removed too), then i flashed latest BIOS ver.
I leaved every setting on default, turned XMP on profile 2 and straight into the OS.

Unfortunately, firefox continously and was just a matter of time that some kernel process crashes freezing my entire system again.
Thank you for your suggestion anyway.
If you have any other idea I'm here

0 Likes

"turned XMP on profile 2"

Try without XMP on for testing. Could be that memory controller has problems with your memory sticks.

If that solves the problem, then it is just a matter of figuring out stable memory settings or voltage. Could be as simple as increasing memory voltage to 1.375-1.4V or loosening timings or clockspeed a bit. 

Operating systems can occasionally have issues with BIOSes. I think you should try installing linux on some other media for testing (since there is now a new BIOS) and see if it does the same. If this fixes issue, likely have to reinstall Linux or what is comparable to repairing installation.

If had issues with PBO on because of edc bug keeping it disabled it was far more stable, but i rolled back to 1203c AMD has recognized the bug and mentioned it be fixed in agesa 1207 which it never did then AMD Robert quit

Just sums up how serious AMD take their reports

@KabouterPlop1 

So the issue did officially exists.
And then you suggest the freeze is just because of the PBO settings?
It would explain why @MADZyren  didn't have the problem.
Could be that his MOBO/RAM/CPU has "luckily" a good combination with PBO (or maybe he manually tweaked the settings)

Could some PBO manual settings (or disabling it) help ?
I'll investigate but I'm not that practical in OC things, if anyone has any information feel free to comment down below

0 Likes

I solved it with some BIOS settings concerning the RAM.

The problem from one AGESA to a recent version seems to freeze the system on some configurations.

For anyone who wants to try I solved the same problem with two different RAM:
First with the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance 3200Mhz 2x8GB
and now with PVS432G320C6K Patriot Viper Steel 3200Mhz 2x16Gb

With the following settings (keep in mind that yours could be slightly different based on your RAM-CPU-MOBO):
XMP to OFF (we'll manually set the ram to overclock)
DRAM Frequency -> 3200Mhz
FLCK Frequency -> 1600Mhz (Half Dram Frequency)
VDDP Voltage -> 0.9
VDDG CCD Voltage -> 0.9
VDDG IOD Voltage -> 0.9
DRAM Voltage -> 1.37 (1.35 was enough for Vengeance, slightly higher for Viper but safe nonetheless)
Power Supply Idle Control -> Typical Current Idle
CPPC -> Disabled
CPPC Preferred Core -> Disabled

RAM Timings -> ( for these you HAVE TO use your RAM specifications' timing, a simple google research )

0 Likes

"RAM Timings -> ( for these you HAVE TO use your RAM specifications' timing, a simple google research )"

I would:

Use CPU-Z (run as admin) to see which memory chips my kit has
Use dramcalc to set timings: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ 

0 Likes

I hope this has to do with with my issue. I have ryzen 7 2700x, asrock promontory x470 sli/ac. Had 2 sticks at 2933 and accidentally got 2 3200 (all 8 gig total 32). I noticed slower speed so I got 2 more 3200. Now when I enter uefi with xmp on or off my rig only sees it at 1866Mhz. I need major help.

0 Likes