cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

null81
Journeyman III

system hardcrash when gaming(vega64)

This only happens when i have a web browser open on my second monitor while gaming

it's like the fan's on my GPU dont ramp up at all to cool the GPU down, and it overheats to the point where my whole system freeze's and i have to power the system down and reboot

my system is

win10(1903, all latest updates installed)

ryzen 7 1700

vega 64(asus rog strix)

16GB DDR4 2933Mhz

drivers for my GPU are the latest(19.8.2)

seems like this has been happening since i updated to the win10 1903 update

before that update/upgrade for windows i never had this issue

i even did a full format/reinstall of my system

and it only happens when i have a web browser open on my second screen

so to stop this from happening i have to manually force my GPU fan's to 75% or higher

like i said, if i have a web browser open, while gaming, it's like the GPU isn't detecting that it's heating up and my system crashes

and it's not like my vega64 has a bad heatsink/fan combo on it

underload before this started happening it would get to a max of and 59C

now once i get back into windows after the crash the GPU is sitting around 70C+

as i said, this only started happening once MS rolled out the 1903 update for win10

before that(1809 i think?) i never had this issue

it's like it's only registering the activity from the browser and not the game so it doesn't think it needs to ramp up the fans

happens to me with chrome/firefox/edge

UPDATE:

ok, so it maybe the chipset drivers and not the GPU drivers? not 100% sure

but i did have a mild overclock on my CPU(3.7GHz 1.2V) so all my core were at the boost clock speed

disabled overclock(all default CPU settings) and the crashes stopped

never had any issue with it, untill the win10 1903 update

so maybe its the chipset drivers for my x370 board?(have the latest chipset drivers installed)

only started happening with the win10 1903 update, did have an olders chipset driver installed with 1903, and would still get crashes

just incase someone wants to know what mobo im using and bios version

MSI x370 gaming pro carbon BIOS 7A32v1L

0 Likes
8 Replies
null81
Journeyman III

ADDITIONAL NOTE:

just maxed out my GPU fan's to see if that would resolve the issue, and it still happened to me

hard crash after about 30-35 min's of gameplay with a web browser open

GPU got no hotter then 52C with fan's at 100%

i can play games for hours on end if i dont have a web browser open with no issues

but as soon as i have one open(doesn't matter what one chrome/firefox/etc) my system crashes

happens across multipul games(tryed BFV, destiny 2, diablo 3, UE4 games, unity games, SOURCE games)

like i said above, this is a freash install of win10(1903)

all latest drivers and system updates

and it only happens when i have a web browser open, i close the browser down, and my system is fine

i can have wallpaper engine running, while gaming, and my system is fine

i can have anything else running(discord, teamspeak, temp monitors, steam, b.net, origin, gog, uplay, etc) and zero issues

but a web browser open while gaming and my system is crashing?

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

The probability of an AMD display device making an error increases with a game when a web browser is running. This is probably a driver-induced error. Close web browsers and unnecessary windows before running a game. Online Service Request | AMD If you wish, you can ask AMD for more information.

0 Likes
herve-ch
Adept I

I agree, latests drivers randomly BSOD when browsing videos, plz Amd fix it

Thanks

0 Likes

Have you disabled hardware acceleration in the browser?

herve-ch
Adept I

No i did not and i dont want to because it is only a work around. I reverted back driver 19.7.5 since this one looks like its working without BSOD.

Only problems i got now is sometimes my game window will turn black but everything else is still working (sound working character always moving, i can see that using other game window since its online game)

I hope amd fix all these drivers issues because it is clearly a software issue, or i think next laptop for me will be with nvidia gpu but i still have faith in team red

It's been a 'workaround' for many years...especially on laptops. You do not need hardware acceleration to watch U-tube/2D type applications...assuming your processor is not 15 years old.

Most users will only browse on internet , how many % will come here to actually find out that problem occurs when using browser acceleration? I think this problem is important to fix.

0 Likes

They have no issues 'browsing the internet'....only people who use their graphics card for a 2D and 3D application at the same time.