cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

System freezes during installation of Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition driver on laptop

Everytime I attemp to the install the latest AMD Radeon driver on my laptop, the system freezes usually at 44% and I have to force a shutdown. Then Windows won't boot up, as the system gets stuck in a black screen. The only solution is booting into Safe Mode, uninstalling AMD Radeon drivers and then restarting. Uninstalling drivers using DDU on safe mode and reinstalling then did not work. And not even reinstalling the previous version of the driver (Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1) is able to fix this problem.

Occasionally, the system booted up normally after restarting from safe mode, even if hadn't uninstalled Radeon drivers. When this happened, I checked Device Manager and noticed that the video driver of AMD Radeon video adapter was indeed installed, however AMD Settings wasn't. I don't know if this has any relation, but before trying to install 19.2.1 driver and face this freeeze issue, I noticed that AMD Settings accessed throgh Desktop context menu wouldn't open, even after updating Radeon drivers. I actually can't recall the last Radeon driver in which I was able to open Radeon Settings.

While this is a hybrid graphics scheme, I'm pretty sure Intel HD Graphics driver has nothing to do with this issue, as I was able to install previous versions of AMD Radeon Software drivers normally, and I haven't updated Intel iGPU drivers either. Thanks in advance.

System Configuration:

• Laptop Make and model: Dell Inspiron 15R-5537

• CPU: Intel core i7-4500U

• Memory: 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz

• GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8850M (GDDR5)

• Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.2.1

16 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: System freezes during installation of Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition driver on laptop

AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M Series GPU Drivers & Support | AMD 

https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Re: System freezes during installation of Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition driver on laptop

I got the 19.2.1 drivers from that page, as I always do to check for newer drivers. I had Intel HD Graphics drivers already installed, as usual. I'll try installing these new drivers and see if it's working, thanks for the support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

It's not a matter of having the Intel drivers installed, it must be the latest version from Intel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I have the latest Intel HD Graphics 4400 drivers installed, downloaded directly from Intel website. And I tried installing these new Radeon drivers, and the system still freezes during installation. The only drivers which do not cause a lockup are outdated ones installed by Windows Update, however Radeon Settings are not installed, only the video driver.

I have read had many reports of freezes during installation of Radeon drivers from users who own the same laptop model as mine. According to these reports, not even a clean Windows installation is able to fix this problem. I have been lucky to not have this issue since I bought the laptop back in 2013, but looks like my luck has finally dried out. Not sure if the issue is due to Dell or AMD incompetence, or both.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have exactly the same problem on a Dell Inspiron 5521 laptop.  I had the AMD 19.1.1 software and drivers installed and tried to upgrade to 19.3.2.  I also have the latest Intel HD Graphics 4000 drivers installed - 10.18.10.5029.  The installation got stuck at 44% and the only way I could get the laptop operational again was to boot in safe mode and change the video driver to the generic Microsoft driver.  So, it sounds like this is not just an isolated issue but multiple people are experiencing exactly the same thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Same problem here. 

using 19.1.1 or 19.3.1

I formatted the notebook and updated all the drivers. From the manufacturer's website and the dell website, no driver has solved the problem. I had to disable the Radeon driver and only use Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Have somebody got the solution? Same problem here with lenovo y40 70, do not let this forum die .

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Is anyone still looking in this forum? Ah well, if you are, I was in exactly the same boat, even until the 44% stuck! This rattled me, but I think I may have a solution. I'm not sure if this will work on everyone, but it worked for me. Here are the steps I did so that hopefully you can recreate it, too

0 Kudos