Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dom324
Journeyman III

System freezes after driver uninstall/in midle of instalation

Hi,

I've got some problems with driver instalation and uninstalation. I uninstalled the old drivers (17.12.something) through DDU in safe mode  - uninstall was succesful, but in 10 secs after uninstall system freezed. I restarted pc manualy. When I got into Windows, drivers were uninstalled. So I tried to install 18.4.1 from AMD website, but system freezes every time installation gets to the "Controling new drivers" (don't know exact name in english) part. I tried instaling 18.2 something, 17.12 and others - nothing worked.

The only way I got drivers "somewhat" instaled is through recovery point. They are now instaled, but I can't open Radeon settings window. So I'd like to install them the proper way to have them fully working.

OS - W10 64 bit

OS updates disabled.

Thanks for any advice, sorry if I forgot to mention something.

0 Likes
12 Replies
dom324
Journeyman III

Up.

0 Likes

Same problem here. DDU freeze/amd drivers freeze system during installation. Installing latest driver.

Tried installing older driver dame issue. System freeze when installer try to detect GPU.

The only driver i van install are 16.7.3.

GC is RX 480 8gb

MB : P8H61 pro rev b3

CPU : I5 2500

Pw : antec 520

RAM : 8gb

0 Likes

Yes, you did forget to mention your computer specs according to AMD Forum rule : INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

0 Likes

CPU: R5 1600

MB: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

PSU: Corsair RM650X

RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16

SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 256GB

Win 10 64bit

GPU: RX570 from XFX

Bios is the one with support for Raven Ridge.

Monitor - Philips 276E7QDSW.

Should be everything.

0 Likes

Thanks that is more helpful.

I believe I found your problem. You have Windows Update "Disabled". For the latest AMD Drivers to work, Windows needs to be fully updated via Windows Update. You can disabled Windows updating Drivers but not the Recommended or Optional ones.

After updating Windows try this basic way to install the AMD drivers:

Try this basic method of uninstalling and reinstalling AMD Drivers.

First download the correct Full AMD driver set from AMD Support for your computer

Make sure your Windows Operating System (10/8.1/8.0/7) is fully updated via Windows Update (including Optionals).

Disconnect the Internet from your computer to prevent it from installing a different GPU Driver than the one you are installing.

Use Windows Control Panel -Uninstall Feature to uninstall all AMD Drivers and software. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode to completely eliminate all traces of the old AMD drivers and software related to the GPU.

Delete C:\AMD Folder. This prevents New and Old AMD driver files from installing and corrupting the installation process.

After rebooting from DDU, Reinstall the new AMD Full set of drivers. If it installed correctly, again delete C:\AMD folder to save Hard Disk space and reconnect to the Internet

If your computer continues to freeze while updating than you need to check your RAM Memory for failure.

To eliminate RAM Memory failure, Run MEMTEST86 and see what it shows. After at least one pass it should show ZERO "O" errors. If it shows at least one error you may have a bad RAM module.

Also run SFC /scannow in elevated Command Prompt or Powershell to make sure your Windows is not corrupted or missing any files.

Also your MSI Motherboard has a couple of important new updates : Support For B350 GAMING PRO CARBON | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Glob... .

BIOS - 7B00v1B - 03/20/2018

AMD CHIPSET DRIVER - 03/28/2018

Updating these two files may help the AMD Drivers to install and work correctly besides updating Windows with the latest Updates.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I disabled updates just for the uninstall/install process - otherwise I´ve got Windows fully updated.

I´ve installed the newest BIOS and tried to uninstall drivers - at first it was ok, drivers successfully uninstalled, no freeze. So I rebooted into safe mode, started DDU, but when DDU completed, freeze. Hard reset, tried to install new drivers - freeze. Maybe DDU is causing the problem? I´ve got the newest version.

Memtest86 - 4 passes without error.

SFC /scannow didn´t found error/problem.

0 Likes

When your laptop freezes or crashes in Safe mode there is something definitely wrong with your laptop.

Found this Website on how to troubleshoot Freezing/Crashing during Safe mode: http://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-computer-crashes-in-safe-mode/

0 Likes

Although this is an old thread, I just registered first of all to say have the same problem and secondly to say that freezing in safemode is a laptop problem and not the software, is nonsense.

Not only do i have the same problem with the DDU completely freezing the system to a point that it cant even be reset, but i also did a check on what happened and it appears that the DDU does even more damage than freezing. It appears to overwrite my windows 10 bootmgr (dated july 22 2020)  with a version that's dated november 21 2014 and by doing so, completely messing up my dualboot Windows system. 

It isn't even possible to disable the safemode through msconfig because files are missing. 

First time i ended up doing a full reinstall of Windows and now it appears that i have to reinstall again.

My system : 

Intel core i5-3450

24 GB ram

win 10 -64 bit

Motherboard : ASRock B75 Pro3-M

UEFI version P1.90

0 Likes

I can tell by your reply how much you know about computers.

First read this link that has similar reasons to other Tech sites that explains what issues causes Safe Mode to crashes: Computer Crashes in Safe Mode | Small Business - Chron.com 

From the link above:

Safe Mode in Windows boots your computer with a bare minimum of programs and features in order to offer a more stable environment for repairing system errors. However, a severely damaged system -- or one with failing hardware -- can crash even in Safe Mode, making it more difficult to fix. Testing for viruses and hardware faults can resolve some problems, but in the worst cases you may need to reinstall the operating system.

Checking for Viruses

If a virus has infected a core component of Windows, it can continue to cause crashes even after you resort to Safe Mode. Because Safe Mode does not load every system feature, your anti-virus program may not open correctly while in the mode. If possible, boot normally, set your anti-virus to run a boot-time scan, and then reboot. This scan type launches before Windows starts, preventing even stubborn viruses from affecting the scanner. Rather than include this feature in the regular software, some security companies offer bootable discs for running scans when your computer won't start normally.

Testing for Hardware Defects

If your computer crashes even during a boot-time scan, or if no viruses turn up, a computer component may be to blame. Damaged hardware can affect a system in Safe Mode just as during regular use. If you have spare computer parts or multiple identical workstations, you can swap out components such as the video card and RAM to narrow down the problem. Bootable testing tools such as Memtest86 Plus (link in Resources) allow you to check for some types of hardware failure. An overheating system can also cause crashing even in Safe Mode, so make sure your computer's fans are spinning and not clogged with dust.

Also this link that I mentioned 2 years ago: https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-computer-crashes-in-safe-mode/ 

The problem occurs when the computer starts crashing and freezing in normal mode, so user tries to troubleshoot the issue by booting their Windows into Safe Mode but the issue still persists in the safe mode giving the user no other option but to reboot their PC. While there is no particular cause as to why the PC crashes or freezes in safe mode or even in normal mode but we have prepared a list of known issues:

• Corrupt Windows Files or Configuration
  • Damaged or Faulty Hard Disk
  • Corrupt or Bad Memory Sectors in RAM
  • Virus or Malware Issues
  • Incompatible hardware

Maybe you should let the author of DDU, a program recommended by both AMD and Nvidia Forums, in letting them know how DDU overwrites Windows Boot Manager and corrupts it. I am sure they will get a chuckle when they read about it.

FYI: Many Users on both AMD and Nvidia have been and are using DDU without any complaints similar to yours.

DDU just uninstalls the GPU and Audio 3rd party Drivers from Windows.

0 Likes

Well, first of all, its a clean install that i did less than 2 weeks ago. It's a dualboot system, both identical windows 10. One used for games and one for my DAW plus 100 gigs of VST's

DDU users may chuckle, i dont care. Fact is that my boormgr file was changed eventhough both users and admins dont even have rights to alter that file.

My 2nd windows 10 partition didnt have the new driveres and old ones removed yet and still had the proper bootmgr. 

And since either DDU or the AMD tool both restart the system in safemode, and the file was changed right after that, (both file size and date), so there are not many other explanations.

And I'm sorry for not knowing enough about pc's. I only have been working with computers for 45 years, started when they were still running cp/m, so i might lack some knowledge

0 Likes

My replies was specifically for the OP's problem. It wasn't meant to be a general advice for all computers.

I suggest you open a new thread for your problem which is not the same as this thread. First you are using Dual Boot which can itself cause some issues. Plus the issue with your Boot Manager being corrupted is something the OP doesn't have.

Plus the part about your Boot Manager being corrupted could be an indication of your HDD or SSD failing or having bad sectors or a virus or some other hardware issue like bad RAM.

My personal experience with DDU has been always positive. Never had an issue using it when it boots into Safe Mode to delete either my past AMD or Nvidia Graphic drivers and related software.

But if you believe DDU corrupted your Boot Manager when it doesn't have any permissions to alter that secure partition then I suggest you ask at Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) Download & Support - Wagnardsoft Forum  the authors of DDU and see if it is possible.

Good Luck!

matter
Journeyman III

I registered just to let you know that I have the same problem, with the same Mainboard.

As a workaround I updated my chipset drivers manually via control panel, pointing the file requester to C:\AMD\AMD-Chipset-Drivers\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv

t.

0 Likes