Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

guybrush
Adept I

System freeze since Crimson 16.10.3 + RadeonCrimson software not opening

Hey guys,

I experience system crashes or rather freezes since I updated to crimson 16.10.3. Yesterday I did update to 16.11.3 and the freezes persist.

What exactly happens:
At some point while browsing, Chrome stops responding. Programs in background i.e.: GIMP, Thunderbird, Firefox still work. After some seconds they also stop responding. Taskmanager does not open. Start Menu > Symbols grayed out, not responding. Full System freeze.

Only flipping the on/off switch on the PSU helps.

I haven't done anything specific to cause this freeze and wasn't able to force a reproduce. It happens when it wants to happen.

Furthermore, the Crimson software won't open anymore since 16.11.3. I had this problem already in the past but after updating some time later to the next version it resolved itself. Still it's annoying. I usually right-click the desktop to open it. Opening from the Taskbar doesn't work aswell. Cancelling the process via Taskmanager and restarting the Radeon Software also does not help

System information:

Sapphire Radeon 7870, 2Gb

Desktop, Asrock Z87Pro3 Haswell, Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 (@4 x 3,7GHz), 16Gb 1067MHz DDR3,

Windows 10, 64 bit

Radeon Crimson 16.11.3

Displays:

Samsung SyncMaster B2230(TFT) via DVI @ 1680x1050p, 60Hz

Philips TV (Plug&Play) via HDMI @ 1360x768p, don't remember refresh rate

0 Likes
4 Replies
qwixt
Forerunner

Re: System freeze since Crimson 16.10.3 + RadeonCrimson software not opening

Sounds like a bad overclock to me. First step, I would take is to make sure the system files are ok with sfc command:

How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands

I would also comb through the event log for the system looking for potential errors of what is going wrong like HD having issues or something else.

If all that looks good, I would get a system stress app like RealBench and see if it passes that.

0 Likes
guybrush
Adept I

Hello qwixt,

my Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 is truly the OC version but I've never overclocked it manually. As a matter of fact I've even downclocked it to its original non-OC stats due to troubles with GTA 5.

sfc tells me that everything's fine as it is

0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

Try to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome.

Hanging Radeon Software point on some type of corruption in your system.

Try to clean your system (DDU program) or restore your win10 (Open Start > Settings > Update & Security to begin, selecting Recovery in the left-hand menu. Under Reset this PC, click or tap Get Started) But be careful and save your important data before reset your system.

0 Likes
guybrush
Adept I

Hello redfury,

My system was running now for about a week straight and non-stop without any crashes or freezes. I didn't do any changes. No idea... Btw, my system is pretty fresh and I do like to keep it tidy, updated and safe

Anyways, just booted in Safe-Mode, ran DDU, installed 16.11.4 hotfix and voila - like expected - after another driver update the crimson software fixed itself

I guess the problem is solved. If not, I'll report again.

Thanks to all who tried giving advice!

best regards,

0 Likes